Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 01:59 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,889,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Nope.

As of right now, political affiliation is not a protected class.

Of course, that may change someday, but as the laws stand now, nothing illegal in what AirBNB has done.
Neither is sexual orientation or marriage but just try to refuse them service.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:00 PM

19,673 posts, read 12,260,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I worked in housing for nearly a decade and had to take FHA training bi-annually for all those years. I am very well versed on the Fair Housing Laws.

I worked also as a consultant with HUD granted organization that had to follow Fair Housing Laws and federal contracting regulations.

There is NO part of the FHA that says that "white supremacists" or any racist ideology is a protected class. These guests were not denied based on them being "white." They were denied because they are racists and that violates AirBnB's Non-Discrimination policy.

The majority of "white" guests who use AirBnB will not be affected by this nor are they being denied access to the AirBnB platform.
How did the customers discriminate against anyone on the platform or elsewhere? What was the specific action that went against the policy? Did they refuse to rent from a minority? Did they make fun of a gay airbnb host? Must have done something specific to another member or none of this makes any sense.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:01 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,335,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
What happened to businesses have to offer their services to everyone?

So it is okay for businesses to discriminate based on viewpoint alone? You could discriminating against any group then, Democrats, Republicans, muslims, catholics, Taylor Swift concert goers etc
All the pc media and and the pc left have to do is label anyone ( republicans, trump voters, call any rally or dissent "hate speech" "white supremacist" "neo nazi" ).

You could also label any democrat or left wing identity groups like naacp,feminist groups,gay groups etc as "hate groups" "anti white racists" "neo-communist" hate groups

Right now the left has the power to censor political speech that scares them, it will not always be this way.

My favorite is these chicken **** silicon valley corporations who are supposedly "libertarian"

Old 08-08-2017, 02:03 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,256,780 times
didn't read the whole thread... but isn't this kind of similar to the cake company who refused to bake a cake for the lesbian couple? how is this any different? why does one get blamed and not the other?

ahh i see this is discussed on a prior page - will go look at that, sorry.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:07 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,645,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/airbnb-evic...012334579.html

Another interesting example of a company denying service to people involved in an event the business owners disapprove of. I'm not sure how AirBNB is structured as a company, how many owners, etc.
I wonder if the affected customers will sue.
lol, maybe your lot should not have gotten so upset over a wedding cake. or did you think the Right wing zealots were the only ones who could refuse service?

Old 08-08-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
All the pc media and and the pc left have to do is label anyone ( republicans, trump voters, call any rally or dissent "hate speech" "white supremacist" "neo nazi" ).

You could also label any democrat or left wing identity groups like naacp,feminist groups,gay groups etc as "hate groups" "anti white racists" "neo-communist" hate groups

Right now the left has the power to censor political speech that scares them, it will not always be this way.

My favorite is these chicken **** silicon valley corporations who are supposedly "libertarian"
It's viewpoint discrimination and anyone and everyone could be discriminated against due to viewpoint.

I never liked BnB anyway. Boycott! Even if multiculturalism is your religion, no one should support discrimination based on viewpoint. That violates the whole concept of free speech and free conscience.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:17 PM

19,673 posts, read 12,260,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post

Pffft, libertarian. When I worked at an early tech company it really was quite libertarian. It was truly creative and open, no one had to hush their thoughts about anything. It is so different now it's like night and day.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I worked in housing for nearly a decade and had to take FHA training bi-annually for all those years. I am very well versed on the Fair Housing Laws.

I worked also as a consultant with HUD granted organization that had to follow Fair Housing Laws and federal contracting regulations.

There is NO part of the FHA that says that "white supremacists" or any racist ideology is a protected class. These guests were not denied based on them being "white." They were denied because they are racists and that violates AirBnB's Non-Discrimination policy.

The majority of "white" guests who use AirBnB will not be affected by this nor are they being denied access to the AirBnB platform.
So it's okay to discriminate in housing against gays and Democrats now because they are not a "protected class"? Discriminating against democrat voters alone would be a good way to discriminate against 95% of blacks. What a great loophole you're advocating.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:21 PM

20,481 posts, read 12,404,665 times
Quote:
On the above, not sure why you are speaking so much about gay people, but will note that you did not exhibit any sort of racist or homophobic ideas.

So, are you saying that you want "white supremacists" to be a protected class?

If so, why.

Whites are a protected class because "white" is a "race" and "race/ethnicity" are a protected class.

You are Christian - so you are a protected class. Because "religion" or "lack of adherence to religion" is a protected class.

These people if they are like you - white and Christian, they are already doubly protected.

They are also protected based on gender, as they are either "male" or "female." Both genders are included in "gender protected class" not just females contrary to what people believe.

The only thing not protected in this group is the fact that they are "white supremacists" which are racists. White supremacists want to deny opportunities to non-white people and they seek to use political maneuvers to do so when they hold rallies.

I would think that you and other decent, white, Christian, conservatives would not be all that sympathetic to their plight since you (I am guessing) are not a racist.
I am using the 'gay thing' as an example of something current that is being discussed in terms of protecting, while we are talking about making it ok to not protect some other group.

my issue is, we need to be very careful about being happy over discrimination of a group we don't like.

very careful. When we start this, then its a short leap to anything else. We already see certain elements on the hard left accusing any non-liberal of being racist simply because they hold some non-progressive view.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:22 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,815,085 times
As far as how Air BnB is finding these people to deactivate, I can see hosts checking guests on FB (or other social media) once a reservation is made and if there are posts regarding this event they might complain to Air BnB. This potentially could happen to anyone with a social media page that they post their views (whatever those might be) on that is public and attached to their name. Remember once you reserve on Air BnB the hosts have your info - though I am not sure about your home address because payment is made through ABB but definitely your name, phone, email, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies