Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 06:54 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,506,126 times

Advertisements

John Cleese once spoke to a psychologist who said that political correctness is associated with people of low emotional intelligence and control. When people can't control their own emotions they start to try to control other people's behavior.

What do you think? Another step forward in the idiocracy?

Old 08-09-2017, 07:13 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,784,113 times
I thought we didn't listen to stupid entertainers. Why don't the just act and kept their mouth shut? I think low emotional IQ is not being able to maintain a constant position on anything.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:25 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,506,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I thought we didn't listen to stupid entertainers. Why don't the just act and kept their mouth shut? I think low emotional IQ is not being able to maintain a constant position on anything.
It was a psychologist who said it.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:28 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
A lot of liberal/progressive conversation comes for PROJECTION. They project their thoughts, fears, and insecurities onto others, then want to create more government to fix their "problems". But, you and I HAVE to pay for it.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:41 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,140 times
It is interesting that, in my own experience and many others I know, the ones that are really drawn to that SJW mentality are emotionally unstable. I personally know multiple SJW types and they're very emotionally erratic, often irrational, and have family issues. I don't think that's just a weird coincidence.

I think there's something to the theory that they experienced some trauma as kids - having a broken family, being an outcast, etc. - and the government fulfills the role of parent/teacher that satisfies their emotional needs. If you attack or question their "protector", they lash out because it feels like an attack on them.

That could apply to a lot of people, but I think it's very common in the cult of social justice. That's why they flip out if you disagree with them and can't have a calm and rational conversation.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:47 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,097,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuanQuixote View Post
It was a psychologist who said it.
And Steven Colbert was told climate change was real by a scientist.

His point was that people, for whatever reason, only seem to accept the opinion of people who stroke their egos. If John Cleese had said something in favor of political correctness, you'd likely say something pretty damn similar to what the other guy was alluding too: "he should just shut up and act."

-signed, someone who opposes political correctness

Old 08-09-2017, 08:56 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
I think that, too often, people confuse political correctness with "just being polite."

Example:

Guy decides to refer to all the women in the office as "capable, for females."

That's rude. Who gives a crap if it's PC or not, it's rude.

Same guy says he's concerned about the hiring of more women on the team because so many of them cannot seem to do the same degree of heavy lifting as the men and he wishes they'd either hire more women who are physically capable of the work or hire some men who are, because they're falling behind on tasks every day.

That's a fair assessment of working conditions, and it's not rude to point it out if performance of the team is suffering.

Point being, saying misogynistic and/or bigoted stuff isn't about being PC or not. It's about being a courteous coworker.

Now, if you accidentally get a person's preferred ethnic label wrong (they want to be referred to as Latino instead of being referred to as a person of color) and they file a report against you or you don't know which gender pronoun is appropriate for that person you think is a man but who is actually genderqueer and they blow up and attack you for what was an honest mistake? Yes. That's PC culture it can be very divisive.

As long as people are making an attempt to be considerate and courteous toward others, they should not be ostracized for not knowing the most recent letters to be added to the LGBTQQIAP2 or whatever it's up to now.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:33 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think that, too often, people confuse political correctness with "just being polite."

Example:

Guy decides to refer to all the women in the office as "capable, for females."

That's rude. Who gives a crap if it's PC or not, it's rude.

Same guy says he's concerned about the hiring of more women on the team because so many of them cannot seem to do the same degree of heavy lifting as the men and he wishes they'd either hire more women who are physically capable of the work or hire some men who are, because they're falling behind on tasks every day.

That's a fair assessment of working conditions, and it's not rude to point it out if performance of the team is suffering.

Point being, saying misogynistic and/or bigoted stuff isn't about being PC or not. It's about being a courteous coworker.

Now, if you accidentally get a person's preferred ethnic label wrong (they want to be referred to as Latino instead of being referred to as a person of color) and they file a report against you or you don't know which gender pronoun is appropriate for that person you think is a man but who is actually genderqueer and they blow up and attack you for what was an honest mistake? Yes. That's PC culture it can be very divisive.

As long as people are making an attempt to be considerate and courteous toward others, they should not be ostracized for not knowing the most recent letters to be added to the LGBTQQIAP2 or whatever it's up to now.
The thing that bothers me most, and that I think is very reactionary and shortsighted, is when people want to pass laws to deal with rudeness. Yeah it's rude, but being rude isn't an actual crime.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:41 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post

Ya haven't noticed the Reality TV guy in the White House?

Old 08-09-2017, 09:43 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,727,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
His point was that people, for whatever reason, only seem to accept the opinion of people who stroke their egos. If John Cleese had said something in favor of political correctness, you'd likely say something pretty damn similar to what the other guy was alluding too: "he should just shut up and act."
I am pretty sure that the whole idea of "EQ" would be dismissed as (possibly PC) psycho-babble intended to make low IQ liberals feel better about themselves in that case as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies