Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 10:31 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,506,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What do you mean "making money off of you"? They aren't making any money "off of" me. Do you even understand how YouTube works? Do any of you unhinged lefties understand how it works?

If you had any self dignity, you would have done a little more searching in to how it all works before opening your pie hole and spewing the garbage bs that you just did.

Here's how it works:

You get on YouTube. You start making videos. You do your thing, which in this case was supporting Trump. A LOT of people are on YouTube for politics, spouting off their opinions. Left and Right. They got upset at Megan Kelly at a debate and put up a video. It went viral. (And I don't mean "viral" in the way that media defines "viral"...to them 50,000 views is "viral"...lol, NO! These girls got millions of views.)

They started to gain a following. They started to get real supporters. They started to gain fans. Their videos have ads on them like 99.9% of every. single. Youtube video on the platform.

Once a channel becomes big, they branch out. Some go the boring, uncreative way of selling t-shirts and mugs because they are really, really, really uncreative and unique, and some come up with other ways to turn this in to a business. There's a good chunk of YouTubers who make millions of dollars a year (PewDiePie...another one the left is jealous of and hates), just on ad revenue from ads showing on their videos, alone. YouTube has allowed ads on videos for a long, long, long time. The biggest benefactor was YOUTUBE/GOOGLE as they got a cut of the profit from every single ad that appeared on every single video.

They didn't start out this way raking in cash, they built this up. They have informed people of what is going on, current events, they have had gatherings and luncheons to try to rally the base of supporters, they have encouraged people to get out and make a difference, to get to know their reps, to know how to contact their reps, to vote, to get involved.

And you have the audacity to call that undignified? G.T.F.O of here with that horse manure.

They have never advocated violence, they have never threatened anyone, they have never engaged in hate speech. They give their opinions, they support Trump, and they encourage everyone to get involved, and know what's going on in politics. That's a far site better than most of the people on this forum who don't do anything but ***** about politics.

Having said all of that...YouTube/Google is a private company, they have the right to demonetize ads, it's their call, and I will NEVER advocate forcing a company to do something just because I don't like how they do or don't do things. That's for the hateful left to demand. It's their company, they can run it how they want, including demonetizing videos.

However, free markets always win. And if Google/YouTube continues to demonetize people for being 'controversial' (and it's not just Trump supporters, it's transgenders, SWJs, and anyone who talks about any of that LGBTQwhateverthehellelsetheyaddontothislable stuff), they will start losing people.

Already some of the bigger YouTubers have been cross posting to another platform. All it takes is for 2 or 3 of them to fully go over to that other platform, and a huge chunk of YouTube's audience will follow leaving YouTube to sit in the wreck that they created.

The other platform works very well. It remains to be seen what kind of advertising they might do. Right now for people to make money would be to have people donate to them, much like gamers get on Twitch...and yes, people make a LOT of money on Twitch, too. Considering a lot of YouTubers do have a Patreon account, and people give them money to continue to entertain them, it's not an impossibility that YouTube will actually destroy itself with the way they are handling things right now.

You can thank the WSJ for their hit piece full of lies on the #1 YouTuber for all of this happening. It has gone downhill from there, and I foresee it continuing until YouTube becomes a fat joke to everyone.

So, again, Diamond and Silk aren't getting money off of those who watch them, they are using what YouTube/Google gave everyone who puts up videos on their platform because it puts more money in the bank account of YouTube/Google. They didn't put on any act to get money, they've been this way the entire time, even when no one knew who they were.

Further, they have been invited to many celebrations, they have met with many people involved in politics, and they have been able to fly all over the country being who they are being active in politics, and getting others active in it. You call that undignified and "faking" it as if they are lesser people than you.

I respect them a whole hell of a lot more than I do most of the lefties on this forum. Remember, they used to be lefties. At least they can admit when they are wrong.
[Insert *MIC DROP* Here]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 10:35 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
I agree with the free markets always win part.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:38 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
What do you mean "making money off of you"? They aren't making any money "off of" me. Do you even understand how YouTube works? Do any of you unhinged lefties understand how it works?

If you had any self dignity, you would have done a little more searching in to how it all works before opening your pie hole and spewing the garbage bs that you just did.

Here's how it works:

You get on YouTube. You start making videos. You do your thing, which in this case was supporting Trump. A LOT of people are on YouTube for politics, spouting off their opinions. Left and Right. They got upset at Megan Kelly at a debate and put up a video. It went viral. (And I don't mean "viral" in the way that media defines "viral"...to them 50,000 views is "viral"...lol, NO! These girls got millions of views.)

They started to gain a following. They started to get real supporters. They started to gain fans. Their videos have ads on them like 99.9% of every. single. Youtube video on the platform.

Once a channel becomes big, they branch out. Some go the boring, uncreative way of selling t-shirts and mugs because they are really, really, really uncreative and not unique, and some come up with other ways to turn this into a business. There's a good chunk of YouTubers who make millions of dollars a year (PewDiePie...another one the left is jealous of and hates), just on ad revenue from ads showing on their videos, alone. YouTube has allowed ads on videos for a long, long, long time. The biggest benefactor was YOUTUBE/GOOGLE as they got a cut of the profit from every single ad that appeared on every single video. They turned their personal videos that had now grown in to getting a huge following in to a business. They didn't start out thinking they were going to get all this money and recognition, they were simply sharing their opinion. And they have not changed a bit from the very first video they put up when no one knew who they were. So spare me this baloney about them acting.

They didn't start out this way raking in cash, they built this up. They have informed people of what is going on, current events, they have had gatherings and luncheons to try to rally the base of supporters, they have encouraged people to get out and make a difference, to get to know their reps, to know how to contact their reps, to vote, to get involved.

And you have the audacity to call that undignified? G.T.F.O of here with that horse manure.

They have never advocated violence, they have never threatened anyone, they have never engaged in hate speech. They give their opinions, they support Trump, and they encourage everyone to get involved, and know what's going on in politics. That's a far site better than most of the people on this forum who don't do anything but ***** about politics.

Having said all of that...YouTube/Google is a private company, they have the right to demonetize ads, it's their call, and I will NEVER advocate forcing a company to do something just because I don't like how they do or don't do things. That's for the hateful left to demand. It's their company, they can run it how they want, including demonetizing videos.

However, free markets always win. And if Google/YouTube continues to demonetize people for being 'controversial' (and it's not just Trump supporters, it's transgenders, SWJs, and anyone who talks about any of that LGBTQwhateverthehellelsetheyaddontothislable stuff), they will start losing people.

Already some of the bigger YouTubers have been cross posting to another platform. All it takes is for 2 or 3 of them to fully go over to that other platform, and a huge chunk of YouTube's audience will follow leaving YouTube to sit in the wreck that they created.

The other platform works very well. It remains to be seen what kind of advertising they might do. Right now for people to make money would be to have people donate to them, much like gamers get on Twitch...and yes, people make a LOT of money on Twitch, too. Considering a lot of YouTubers do have a Patreon account, and people give them money to continue to entertain them, it's not an impossibility that YouTube will actually destroy itself with the way they are handling things right now.

You can thank the WSJ for their hit piece full of lies on the #1 YouTuber for all of this happening. It has gone downhill from there, and I foresee it continuing until YouTube becomes a fat joke to everyone.

So, again, Diamond and Silk aren't getting money off of those who watch them, they are using what YouTube/Google gave everyone who puts up videos on their platform because it puts more money in the bank account of YouTube/Google. They didn't put on any act to get money, they've been this way the entire time, even when no one knew who they were.

Further, they have been invited to many celebrations, they have met with many people involved in politics, and they have been able to fly all over the country being who they are being active in politics, and getting others active in it. You call that undignified and "faking" it as if they are lesser people than you.

I respect them a whole hell of a lot more than I do most of the lefties on this forum. Remember, they used to be lefties. At least they can admit when they are wrong.
On the bold, they are making money off of you because if you/their fans weren't watching their videos, they would never have been paid if they didn't have people watching.

Just like TV channels make money off of you too. If you don't watch, they don't make money.

Not sure why you had to spew all he above or make it seem like this isn't a simplified process of ratings = money.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:43 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
so I suppose this means you are fine with the action by youtube? good old fascist tactics?
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
That means you support the suppression of free speech.
No.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:45 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,702,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Confirmation bias, is a huge issue when it comes to political opinions, just thinking "don't be biased, don't be biased, don't be biased" to yourself doesn't actually accomplish anything.

The only way to dispel confirmation bias is to actively seek disconfirmation of your own beliefs. Talking to intelligent, articulate, and patient people who disagree with you is a good way to achieve this.

This is why censorship rarely works.

This said, Youtube is as such not obligated to grant anyone a platform that they can use to express themselves, when signing up for Youtube, you actually agree to follow a certain set of rules, if you break these rules, they do have the right and power to shut your platform down.

This would be a very technical view, morally however, it is quite different.

Youtube is by far the largest online content creation platform, this gives them a form of monopoly when it comes to this type of creation.

By limiting certain forms of speech and since they quite clearly focus on very specific opinions, they are in effect blocking people with specific views from spreading their view.

Do I like it or agree with it? The answer is no and no. But I respect their right and their rules. There is nothing wrong with setting up your own rules for your brand and business.
Yes but the media plays a huge role in confirmation bias. And you and plenty of these other posters know it. I do agree that YouTube is not obligated to grant a platform to anyone.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:56 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,280,080 times
Quote:
Yep, I think that was the catalyst.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:57 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,466,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
That is pathetic. Silicon valley and the internet was built from taxpayer funded miltary research and now its become this left wing authoriarian place where free speech is censored ...

The president has had diamond and silk at rallies, this wont just go quiet into the night.

Steve Bannon has been talking regulating tech companies like Facebook and Google as utilities, they have become essential elements of 21st-century communication. Microsoft went through hell, the bell system, standard oil etc
I have seen quite a few of their videos, and although I don't like Trump I have always enjoyed watching their videos.

It is Trump's administration which has taken a whack at net neutrality, so if any carrier wanted to shut down content, they can as their privilege being a profit driven business.

Google doesn't have to sell cakes to gays and it doesn't have to put Diamond and Silk up on their site.

However, I am truly convinced that they were not targeted by their politics. This is just the way it fell out. They can post their videos but they will not get advertising dollars for them with the content they specialize in. It doesn't fit the profile for the advertisers.

Quote:
Controversial issues and sensitive events: Video content that features or focuses on sensitive topics or events including, but not limited to, war, political conflicts, terrorism or extremism, death and tragedies, sexual abuse, even if graphic imagery is not shown, is generally not eligible for ads. For example, videos about recent tragedies, even if presented for news or documentary purposes, may not be eligible for advertising given the subject matter.
Too bad, so sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Silicon valley is full of Libertarians, what a joke.
Libertarians are the least of your problems

Old 08-11-2017, 10:58 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the bold, they are making money off of you because if you/their fans weren't watching their videos, they would never have been paid if they didn't have people watching.

Just like TV channels make money off of you too. If you don't watch, they don't make money.

Not sure why you had to spew all he above or make it seem like this isn't a simplified process of ratings = money.
I don't even have to watch their video for them to get the money. Just click on the video, click stop immediately. It counts as a view. Again, you have no idea how it works.

TV is no different. I didn't watch ads when I had tv. They still got their money whether I watched or not.

YouTubers are making their money off of YouTube/Google for putting ads on their videos. They aren't making it off of me or you.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:00 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,654,666 times
WoW.

Diamond & Silk have done nothing more than express their support for Donald Trump. The leftists in this country are becoming completely unhinged for them to attack these two.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:04 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
All Conservative leaning people that post video's on Youtube, have been demonetized from Youtube.

This is blatant civil rights abuse, based upon political lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies