Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 09:33 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Some background on Cantwell:

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-h...opher-cantwell

Grew up on Long Island. Father was an air traffic controller, one of 11,000 fired by the Reagan Admin for striking in 1981. Reportedly, dad had to mow grass to earn a $. Sounds like he may have been a " have not" in a community of mostly " haves".

Sounds like he has made a career out of blaming others, government, LE, Women, Jews, Blacks, immigrants and so on.

He has a criminal history, drug dealing, DUI, stolen property and weapons.

He declared himself a candidate for Congress but failed to get the required signatures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 09:37 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
There's the alt-left guy who tried to blow up a statue. And there's this guy.

There's crazy people on both sides.
First of all , there's no alt left. The alt-right is a political movement, it's a name created and adopted by far right-wingers. For example, Bannon calls Breitbart the platform for the alt-right. People of that political persuasion chose to be called alt right and are trying to be mainstream. There's no self-proclaimed "alt left" that's trying to mainstream themselves. That's a made-up nebulous term used by Trump and other right-wingers to describe what they perceive to be some nefarious extremist violent left-wing group that could really encompass anything. Basically anytime a crazy person does something stupid or violent that happens to be left-wing, they must be....alt left.

Secondly, enough with the false equivalency already. IMO that's one of the things that's killing us, is this automatic need that everyone feels the need to do to sound like the credible mature adult in the conversation "Well ya know...both sides do it." Right wing crazy isn't the same as left-wing crazy. Antifa and BLM do not = KKK by any stretch of the imagination. Antifa is about as bad as it gets and they're not even close to a mainstream group on the left.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:43 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
Poor little baby

Old 08-24-2017, 09:43 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Now we know why the "Blubbering Nazi" was so terrified of being arrested in his YT video. Trumps toy soldiers are not "Fine People". They are out to kill American citizens.

Chris Cantwell Arrested For Use of Explosives |
LOL, I wonder if this racist scumbag will still support his white supremacist brothers after they use and abuse his punk ass in prison.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:46 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
https://youtu.be/P54sP0Nlngg

Soundbite in the quote, but 22 minutes of context for you to go with....
I'll check it out.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:51 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,647,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
First of all , there's no alt left. The alt-right is a political movement, it's a name created and adopted by far right-wingers. For example, Bannon calls Breitbart the platform for the alt-right. People of that political persuasion chose to be called alt right and are trying to be mainstream. There's no self-proclaimed "alt left" that's trying to mainstream themselves. That's a made-up nebulous term used by Trump and other right-wingers to describe what they perceive to be some nefarious extremist violent left-wing group that could really encompass anything. Basically anytime a crazy person does something stupid or violent that happens to be left-wing, they must be....alt left.

Secondly, enough with the false equivalency already. IMO that's one of the things that's killing us, is this automatic need that everyone feels the need to do to sound like the credible mature adult in the conversation "Well ya know...both sides do it." Right wing crazy isn't the same as left-wing crazy. Antifa and BLM do not = KKK by any stretch of the imagination. Antifa is about as bad as it gets and they're not even close to a mainstream group on the left.
You done yet?

And I've been using the term alt left for a long while before Trump said it. Antifa and BLM are just as bad as the others stupid white supremacists. Two wrongs don't make a right. Period.

I'm a black guy saying this too. You don't promote yourself with violence, no matter what you stand for. Once you use violence in a political argument, that is radical, in my view.

Also, there are several videos of Antifa attacking the very thing they're standing for....black people. They're supposed to be fighting for blacks, right? Then how come they attack black people who aren't with them, or attack black conservatives?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO9xtfR83Ec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqQ6PyUTgI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUm4lbiAlwM

Sorry, but gtfo defending Antifa. They're just as bat ish crazy as those KKK guys. Antifa aren't fighting some "noble" cause. It's either "you're with us or you're against us".

Old 08-24-2017, 10:12 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
You done yet?

And I've been using the term alt left for a long while before Trump said it. Antifa and BLM are just as bad as the others stupid white supremacists. Two wrongs don't make a right. Period.

I'm a black guy saying this too. You don't promote yourself with violence, no matter what you stand for. Once you use violence in a political argument, that is radical, in my view.

Also, there are several videos of Antifa attacking the very thing they're standing for....black people. They're supposed to be fighting for blacks, right? Then how come they attack black people who aren't with them, or attack black conservatives?

Sorry, but gtfo defending Antifa. They're just as bat ish crazy as those KKK guys. Antifa aren't fighting some "noble" cause. It's either "you're with us or you're against us".
I agree with what you typed in your first two lines, but I think it may be misplaced:

1. Two wrongs don't make a right, it applies to all, but that is one of the big complaints with Trump Supporters. Their answer to everything is "but Hillary", "but Obama" or "But Antifa and BLM". I agree, all those in quotes have their own problems, but they are not justification for what is going on, and you have to remember this discussion is about Cantwell, so your "but Antifa" argument is in stark contrast to your (correct) point that two wrongs don't make a right. That being said, I will grant you that Antifa has some unsavory elements to it, which I'd be glad to discuss in a discussion that is NOT about what is wrong with Cantwell, the neonazi's or the Charlottesville protesters on the right.

2. Correct, you don't promote violence with violence. Antifa may have a history, but in this case, THEY WERE THE ONES ATTACKED. They were NOT the aggressors here. Maybe they would have if given enough time, but from all accounts, it seems the alt-right protestors initiated the violence. So again, your point is correct, but misplaced in this argument.

I will disagree with you about one thing: Antifa does NOT stand for defending blacks. They stand for Anti-fascism. It's really neither here nor there, but since you brought it up, I'll correct you. I assume that they will protest a fascist in any case, black or white.

Antifa is very bat-ish crazy, I'll agree. But not as 'wrong' as the kkk guys. Simply by definition of their stated mission, they are crazy about fighting against fascism, and their tactics are bad, but their mission is not racism, as is that of the KKK, so by definition, they are not 'as bad'. I need to be careful, because they may well be beyond the threshold of what is acceptable. It doesn't matter if you are 2x worse than acceptable or 5x, you're still over the line, but I have to say that there is no comparison when you look at their own stated missions of both groups.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:35 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,076 times
Quote:
You done yet?

I didn't defend them, and I don't really see the need for your attitude. I just believe you're creating a false equivalency. Saying that Antifa and KKK are not equal is not tantamount to an endorsement of Antifa.

I agree that the methods of Antifa are reprehensible, and as a liberal I certainly don't embrace them as one of mine. But doesn't what they stand for matter? Their intent? Antifa symbolizes "anti-fascism". Are the methods of antifa the only metric by which we judge them? In what world can you actually say they're "just as bad" as the KKK?

No one is justifying Antifa, they just shouldn't be claimed as equivalent to the KKK and neo-Nazis. I appreciate that you're coming from the perspective of a black person, but I vehemently disagree with you.

With regards to use of the term "alt left", by using it in my opinion you're basically acting as an extended arm of the right-wing propaganda machine.

Also perhaps I'm not with the times on certain issues, but what is everyone's deal with BLM?

Old 08-24-2017, 10:46 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,699 times
Quote:
You done yet?

This, exactly. I watched that Vice video and they showed why the white nationalists are morons, which is good, but then they played the sappy music and acted as if the other side is just a bunch of innocents who want to fight against the bad guys.

Anyone who's been following this situation over the past year or so knows that it stemmed from the protesters trying to shut down speech they disagreed with, even violently. They got emotional and violent with reasonable people, and that led to the popularity of anti-SJW speakers like Milo, Ben Shapiro, etc. who stood up to them and didn't censor themselves. They stood up for free speech.

For awhile, it was the anti-SJWs who were calm and rational, discussing ideas, letting the protesters scream at them without getting emotional or violent in return.

This is where Jordan Peterson warned...don't start resorting to violence...don't stoop to their level. If you do, things will descend into chaos and it will get really ugly.

As predicted, some alt right types started showing up and sometimes purposely provoking people for fun, waiting for the SJWs to pull their usual screaming and attacking so that they could fight back. This is when the media really started covering the situation.

Then you had the white supremacist/nationalist types come out of the woodwork and start spouting off, and before you know it you get Charlottesville.

Very little attention is paid to what started this entire thing. They blame Trump for encouraging these people, but Trump was merely a response to the SJW movement, and political correctness.

Long story short: Anti-free speech movements started all of this, and the backlash has become violent itself, as expected. The scary thing is that it just makes everyone more emotional, irrational, with a mob mentality on both sides, and it keeps feeding itself. Rational people need to call a timeout on this entire thing before it gets to the point of no return....hopefully we haven't passed that yet.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:50 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,104,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Don't you also find it extremely strange that we hear nothing of the driver who killed the girl? I don't even know his name. I know it was put out real quick, but there has been nothing on this guy from the media. Dylan Roof was plastered all over the place. Something isn't right with any of this. It's all staged, even this guy.
Quick,go call Hannity, or little boy tucker or that nutcase Alex Jones. I am sure they want to hear from you LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies