Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you hire an extremist
Yes 5 11.63%
No 38 88.37%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 02:10 PM

923 posts, read 495,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
First we need a definition of extremist.
Looks like it's time to expand this list:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 02:10 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
No, I would not hire a liberal. I value my sanity.
This makes you an extremist.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:12 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
what about identifying all of left wing demonstrators that came with hoods and mask to many of these protest?
Er, that's why they wear hoods and masks. So they can't be identified.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:13 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Plain and simple, would you hire an extremist?
It is not plain and simple. It is vague. Hire them for what? Extremist how?

I'll wait for all the facts to come in before deciding.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:14 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
Is this an IS recruiting poll ?

Old 08-17-2017, 02:16 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
If there was something in a potential employee's background check that made me question whether or not that person's hiring would reflect positively on my company, I would take a pass.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:19 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Er, that's why they wear hoods and masks. So they can't be identified.
Yes; but many protested in DC where it is illegal to demonstrate with a hood or mask. I think some other cities also have laws regarding hoods and mask. The lockup is a great way to get protestor names!

Old 08-17-2017, 02:22 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
It all depends on the job.

A bolt does not care if the guy who turns a nut onto it is an extremist or not. And if that guy isn't causing an uproar in the work space while he's turning a nut onto a bolt, there's no reason I can see to fire him.

But if I needed a salesman whose job depends on his ability to convince someone to buy my product over someone else's product, I probably would not hire an extremist. Most cannot avoid keeping their politics out of such work.

Extremism is a state of mind that needs constant affirmation from others.

I've never met one yet that had the mental discipline to avoid that need, but I can't deny it may be possible for a person to have the discipline needed.

So how would I know, if an extremist had the wisdom and discipline to keep his personal beliefs to himself while selling my goods if he never allowed his feelings to show? Why would I care, if he's doing a good sales job for me?

Let him go home and rant all night to his wife if he wants. As long as he keeps it all out of my business, what he thinks, who he talks with and associates with is his own affair as long as it doesn't affect me, mine, and my other employees.

But when anything he does or says damages me, others in my employ, and my business, I'll fire him in the wink of an eye.

My code of conduct will be very explicit in that regard, and anyone who works for me will have to follow the rules I set. It's all up-front. If a prospect doesn't like my rules, then he needs to look for work somewhere else.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:24 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Extremism is a state of mind that needs constant affirmation from others.
Exactly. People like that must have an audience, and they like to get people riled up. That's why I wouldn't hire them in the first place, because I don't want to waste time and money training a future problem child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies