Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 05:21 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
What's the difference in people wanting Confederate statues removed and Ronald Reagan saying "Mr. Gorbachev, Tear Down This Wall?"
The difference is, while asking Gorbachev to "Tear Down this Wall," Reagan was asking Gorbachev to change the politics of the Soviet Union.
While the removal of the Confederate Statues means the denouncement of the US history, of American past.
So the more appropriate comparison in this case would be the removal of Lenin's body from the Mausoleum on the Red Square.
The question is, even if it's going to be removed, ( which I doubt,) will it magically erase 70 plus years of the Soviet history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 05:50 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
i think we ought to take all stautes down, I mean they offend someone, take the wwii, the vietnam, all of them, that could be the new united states slogan," we honor no one'

Old 08-18-2017, 06:14 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
It is a local issue. National polls are irrelevant. In the 1920s Charlottesville decided to put up the statue. 100 years later Charlottesville has decided to take it down. Their town. Their rules. Statues like these are not history. They are honorary objects and by nature political.

I find it ironic that republicans are not defending local rule.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:28 PM

2,544 posts, read 2,737,804 times
No this will not solve anything. Have to blame something so what not the statues.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:47 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
the importance of the staues and honoring the civil war is that after we fought brother against brother, the country came back together.

the president demanded no vengence be taken against the south. the statues represent the healing that took place and honor each sides instead of wiping out any trace of the disagreement in an act of disrespect to the side that lost the war.

The contrast could not be more dramtic than when compared to middle east and other countries where hate has lived since before Christ, where mercy and forgiveness are unknown and replaced by vengence and hate.
Oh what BS...what healing. These statues were built 50 to maybe 70 years after the war ended. This had to do with Jim Crow.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:49 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Oh what BS...what healing. These statues were built 50 to maybe 70 years after the war ended. This had to do with Jim Crow.
Bingo

Old 08-18-2017, 08:54 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
This new target will only further divide us and go away as soon as the next target is picked.The left will lose voters over this as they do with every false outrage.I care more about jobs,the economy,sealed borders and the safety of our country then what army someones great great grampa fought in.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:56 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
This new target will only further divide us and go away as soon as the next target is picked.The left will lose voters over this as they do with every false outrage.I care more about jobs,the economy,sealed borders and the safety of our country then what army someones great great grampa fought in.
So you should have no issue with them being removed.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:12 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
So you should have no issue with them being removed.
I have an issue with why is this now the main issue in America.I am not from the South and can't speak for them but this just seems like a soft easy target that will accomplish nothing but anger people who should be able to respect their dead.So SJW can slap themselves on the back and declare we sure showed them. And move on to the next false outrage.They will not gain any voters over this they keep hating large segments of America and it is starting to add up.NO I don't want them forcibly removed.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:56 AM

720 posts, read 500,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Do you think Christian ideology should be displayed on a government building though. That's the issue. Having certain things displayed on public/government grounds. If it's private property fine.
"Should be"? Probably not. I get people have different faiths so I wouldn't want to provoke one group by seeming to promote one set of beliefs over another. But I also don't think it's a big deal. Leaving aside the historical argument that Christian ideology has provided the basis for many of our laws today, even if the U.S. doesn't have an official religion, the bottom line is it's not a big deal. I think the Ten Commandments are probably generally good tenets to live by, and them being listed on a building is...neither here nor there.

It's just like yesterday. I went to a bar and grill restaurant with my son and they played Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber. I would've preferred some Waylon Jennings or Merle Haggard or Styx or Skid Row, but no dice. I didn't complain; I just sat there with the boy and ate and told him he better get a haircut next week or I'm doing it myself with a scalper knife. #fatheroftheyear
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies