Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 05:16 AM

34,258 posts, read 18,631,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
So, then - You are for more restrictions on businesses? Or are you advocating strong unions?
That's not what I got from her statement at all. I think what she is saying is that employees personal lives, and political views should not affect employment unless the employee is being detrimental to the business, like the NFL protesters. We don't need more regulations, and we don't need unions. We need personal freedom. I'm sure that guy that got unfairly fired from Google will get a good job somewhere else.

Be careful what you wish for. The electric company may cut off your power due to your support for the violent, fasco-communist Antifa, and BLM.

Last edited by Pilot1; 08-20-2017 at 05:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 05:17 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,894,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Big companies like Facebook, Google, Patreon, and PayPal have been making a show of deplatforming persons who they consider to have hateful viewpoints. Companies have fired employees for their wrongthink. Many have been supportive of these moves, saying that it's the right of the company to do as they like (free market and all that).

So this leads to the question: if it's okay for companies to punish persons who they feel have views that aren't politically palatable, then why can't utility companies do the same? Why can't the power and gas company just decide to cut off your services if they don't like you as a person? Certainly, this should be okay for cable TV and satellite providers. Those are luxuries after all. How about the internet? You have the wrong views, you can't even connect to the internet. Why not have a database that any business can access where people with the wrong views are listed. You go in to buy a car and are turned down for a car loan for being a hateful human being.

This is the logical progression of what is happening now. It's already considered perfectly fine by many that persons should have their livelihoods destroyed for expressing the wrong point of views. Why not make it impossible for them to even live in society? I'm sure there are many who would love that reality.
if you post on an internet forum, like this one, or on facebook or twitter, or other such social media, you do have the right to say what you wish. however these companies have the right to cancel your account if they wish.

on the other hand, unless they know your exact address, your cable company, or other utility, cant just cut you off from services based on something you might say. if your name is joe smith, and there are a dozen joe smiths in the phone book, which joe smith gets cut off from services? if you cut them all off, you are basically saying you dont want any joe smith buying your services. and if their bills are up to date, and the account is current, and you cut them off, you can be sued and forced to turn the utility back on.

you have to be careful who you cut off and why. cutting off someones power on an up to date account just because they say something you dont like is wrong.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:21 AM

37,170 posts, read 19,265,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
No. Of course not.

Utilities have reasons for shutting off power. Usually non payment but because someone has controversial opinions I am sure is not a reason. And to shut off power where their might be children or elderly people is wrong on every level.

Google and the others you site have TOS agreements. If someone loses their facebook account they will not fry or freeze. Perhaps the ISP could shut off internet is a different question.
Donald would not agree with you, nor do the utilities care. They regularly shut off power in both the winter and summer and elderly people die as a result.

https://ctmirror.org/2017/03/16/trum...hool-programs/

Old 08-20-2017, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
hahahaha As if one can buy a road in front of a house and stop people from driving. What an idiotic example.
You ever heard of a toll road?

Still watching this one to see how it plays out.

https://sf.curbed.com/2017/8/7/16107...uction-lawsuit

Old 08-20-2017, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Seventy-five years ago, your viewpoint might have been trenchant, but now it is the entire white race that is being genocided. Are you for it or against it?
The white race is overrated. Their only claim to fame throughout history has been superior firepower. This has enabled them to slaughter indigenous people and enslave people in order to satify their greed for property. The Native Americans who lived in harmony with their surroundings, owned the land communally, and served as custodians of it for the benefit of all including the poor and the weak were far more advanced socially.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:49 AM

51,659 posts, read 25,891,462 times
Quote:
The white race is overrated. Their only claim to fame throughout history has been superior firepower. This has enabled them to slaughter indigenous people and enslave people in order to satify their greed for property. The Native Americans who lived in harmony with their surroundings, owned the land communally, and served as custodians of it for the benefit of all including the poor and the weak were far more advanced socially.
Exactly.

Though, to be fair, the Native Americans did a fair amount of fighting among themselves.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:51 AM

51,659 posts, read 25,891,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpie View Post
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry
hahahaha As if one can buy a road in front of a house and stop people from driving. What an idiotic example.

Idiotic, you say?

Couple buys private Presidio Terrace road in San Francisco for $90,000 in auction | The Sacramento Bee

"But due to a low-profile auction, a South Bay couple now own the street after a payout of just $90,000"
Imagine buying property in SF for $90K.

The homeowners are suing to get the sale reversed.

The land owners are considering a fee for parking.

The company at the address the tax bill has been sent to for 30 years said they never heard of this HOA and certainly never managed it.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:19 AM

15,948 posts, read 12,315,035 times
Quote:
Yes. I buy the road that runs in front of your house. I decide that I don't like you so I put up roadblocks so you can't even leave your driveway. You drive on my road, I shoot out your tires. Freedom!
And I take my ar-15 and put 30 rounds though you. Law of consequences of actions. Be careful who you **** off.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:23 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,533,216 times
Quote:
Big companies like Facebook, Google, Patreon, and PayPal have been making a show of deplatforming persons who they consider to have hateful viewpoints. Companies have fired employees for their wrongthink. Many have been supportive of these moves, saying that it's the right of the company to do as they like (free market and all that).

So this leads to the question: if it's okay for companies to punish persons who they feel have views that aren't politically palatable, then why can't utility companies do the same? Why can't the power and gas company just decide to cut off your services if they don't like you as a person? Certainly, this should be okay for cable TV and satellite providers. Those are luxuries after all. How about the internet? You have the wrong views, you can't even connect to the internet. Why not have a database that any business can access where people with the wrong views are listed. You go in to buy a car and are turned down for a car loan for being a hateful human being.

This is the logical progression of what is happening now. It's already considered perfectly fine by many that persons should have their livelihoods destroyed for expressing the wrong point of views. Why not make it impossible for them to even live in society? I'm sure there are many who would love that reality.
That would be called discrimination, and that is illegal. Let's say you own, oh I don't know, a bakery, and a gay couple comes in for you to bake them a wedding cake and you refuse because you don't condone homosexual-ism, would that be OK? I guess we'll soon find out.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:33 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,602,132 times
Quote:
The Native Americans have been, without question, treated horribly. However, I suspect that the notion of a perfectly peaceful pre-colonial utopia is probably a fantasy. The fact that no one was believed to own the land does not mean there were no conflicts over territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies