Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 09:18 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,155 times

Advertisements

Big companies like Facebook, Google, Patreon, and PayPal have been making a show of deplatforming persons who they consider to have hateful viewpoints. Companies have fired employees for their wrongthink. Many have been supportive of these moves, saying that it's the right of the company to do as they like (free market and all that).

So this leads to the question: if it's okay for companies to punish persons who they feel have views that aren't politically palatable, then why can't utility companies do the same? Why can't the power and gas company just decide to cut off your services if they don't like you as a person? Certainly, this should be okay for cable TV and satellite providers. Those are luxuries after all. How about the internet? You have the wrong views, you can't even connect to the internet. Why not have a database that any business can access where people with the wrong views are listed. You go in to buy a car and are turned down for a car loan for being a hateful human being.

This is the logical progression of what is happening now. It's already considered perfectly fine by many that persons should have their livelihoods destroyed for expressing the wrong point of views. Why not make it impossible for them to even live in society? I'm sure there are many who would love that reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 09:19 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,473,484 times
Do they need electriity? I mean...

Old 08-19-2017, 09:22 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Privatize EVERYTHING

Capitalism is pure freedom.

End the State.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:28 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Privatize EVERYTHING

Capitalism is pure freedom.

End the State.
Yes. I buy the road that runs in front of your house. I decide that I don't like you so I put up roadblocks so you can't even leave your driveway. You drive on my road, I shoot out your tires. Freedom!

Old 08-19-2017, 09:31 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
I don't agree with a lot of things private companies have done but nobody asked me before.

No company should even be allowed to ask an employee to be chipped.
When an employee goes home it should not be the business of any company what they do after work. That is the same as slavery. Companies should not own employees.
Any employee receiving e-mails after work should get compensation for having to look at their e-mail. Otherwise they should be allowed to lay their phones down and not touch them until it is time to go back to work. People need down time or it will eventually affect their health.
I could go on but I think I have shared enough for you to get the idea.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:35 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,587,882 times
No, because utilities are quasi-governmental and also operate Federally-sanctioned monopolies in exchange for ceding certain rights, like the right to reject paying customers.

Or were you just looking for a layup to "prove" what in reality was a false equivalency?

Old 08-19-2017, 09:38 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Many have been supportive of these moves, saying that it's the right of the company to do as they like (free market and all that).
These companies hold monopolies(or may even be government owned) and it's the one case where it's required because the infrastructure would be impossibly expensive and completely unpractical. Many of them like phone companies are also collecting federal funding (e.g the obamaphone). In return for that monopoly and tax dollars they are required to do many things such as mandated service.

Quote:
How about the internet?
That raises another issue because internet access is monopolized in some areas and not others.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:42 PM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
Of course not, all humans have the right to a habitable home, including clean water supply & reliable electric, well at least they get it in first world countries. We cannot discriminate based on thoughts or belief systems.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:42 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Big companies like Facebook, Google, Patreon, and PayPal have been making a show of deplatforming persons who they consider to have hateful viewpoints. Companies have fired employees for their wrongthink. Many have been supportive of these moves, saying that it's the right of the company to do as they like (free market and all that).

So this leads to the question: if it's okay for companies to punish persons who they feel have views that aren't politically palatable, then why can't utility companies do the same? Why can't the power and gas company just decide to cut off your services if they don't like you as a person? Certainly, this should be okay for cable TV and satellite providers. Those are luxuries after all. How about the internet? You have the wrong views, you can't even connect to the internet. Why not have a database that any business can access where people with the wrong views are listed. You go in to buy a car and are turned down for a car loan for being a hateful human being.

This is the logical progression of what is happening now. It's already considered perfectly fine by many that persons should have their livelihoods destroyed for expressing the wrong point of views. Why not make it impossible for them to even live in society? I'm sure there are many who would love that reality.
What is your position? Do you believe in forced commerce in this case?

Old 08-19-2017, 09:44 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Essential service can't be subjective. They should serve everyone regardless (as long as they pay for the service).

However, if a baker knows someone is a klan member, that baker should be able to refuse service to anyone for any reason. Cakes are not essential services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies