Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 03:16 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times

Advertisements

I've never spent a dollar on the lottery, but yah if somehow I won $298M you would never hear from me.

Just for fun, here are the things I'd do if I won:

--remaster a number of albums for much better dynamic range

--commission a new roadracing track

--commission a 9 part TV series on psychedelics

--commission a 9 part TV series on the simulation hypothesis

--finish my book

--start a VR software application company creating things I want to do with color and light in VR

--create a Rational Skeptic scholarship and an Anthropic Mechanist scholarship

I'd do the above things through some sort of PR presence while I funded it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 03:18 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
very dangerous--------- they can kidnap her family or friends I think they will have problems- hope a good atty steps up
This is why: A $16 Million Dollar lottery, ($30 Million before taxes) Abraham Shakespeare winner told his friends and neighbors, gave away a lot of money and was eventually murdered by a woman who convinced him to sign over his house to her. Sometimes the lottery can destroy lives. If you have no experience with money and never had much of it, you might not know how to manage it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Shakespeare

Old 08-24-2017, 03:20 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I was shocked that she announced her name (already) and went to the lottery officials..... AND she said she quit her job BEFORE evening collecting the money.

I realize she has to identify herself in her state BUT shouldn't she have gotten an attorney and financial advisor FIRST, who will show her how to PROTECT her money. I hope the lottery ticket isn't sitting on her window sill!

If it were me, I would have kept my mouth shut, got an attorney and some good financial advice (AND put the money in a safe deposit box) and then when the time was right, announce that I was the winner.

Her ticket and identity need to be checked and verified (perhaps she did that already but....) I would not have quit my job until the money hit my account. That's just me.

I think she is in for a world of headaches and people begging for her money....She could have offset that by maintaining her privacy as long as possible...

How many of you would have gone on the news the very morning you found out you had won? What would you have done? (financially speaking) ..

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/24/powe...not-to-do.html
Yeah, she should have stayed quiet for a while and called in sick or something. Very idiotic but some people just don't think. It's too bad the money wouldn't be divided between several winners...but oh well.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:27 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
It was terribly unwise. There are ways to obscure your identity even in states that do not provide for anonymity. I wish her the best, but I think she's opened the door to a lot of trouble by coming forward immediately.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:28 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I've never spent a dollar on the lottery, but yah if somehow I won $298M you would never hear from me.

--finish my book

--start a VR software application company creating things I want to do with color and light in VR

Ah, not a fan of brickwall limiting?

Old 08-24-2017, 03:32 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
She needs to quietly take off tonight with her kids and get the heck out of Dodge! Reporters and leeches and criminals will be descending on her house soon...

Old 08-24-2017, 03:33 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I am curious why lottery winners get the attentions. There are plenty of celebrities and rich people. They don't hide their identity, get robbed, kidnapped, asked for money all the time, etc.
They usually already have people around them advising them how to spend their money and protect themselves.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:36 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Yes. I was thinking the same thing. She should have signed the ticket and then put it into a safe deposit box at a bank.Get a Lawyer and a ,Tax attorney and a financial planner set up everything and then have the lotery direct deposit the money!AND NOT TELL A PERSON!!!
I'd have the money put into an account that could not be accessed electronically. I would not reveal my name nor give any interviews to the media. No cute little quotations would be coming from me about the win. The worthy causes to which I donated money, would never know my identity, so they couldn't keep hitting me up for more, in the future. My friends, neighbors and relatives would never know about it, until perhaps after I had died. No need to provide incentive for any of them to hurry that event into happening.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:40 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
You can be anonymous with other lotteries but not Powerball so never use your real name when you collect. Keep that in mind when you buy a ticket. If you win a lot of money, not even the full amount, get a tax attorney to create a foundation not named after you, i.e. The Happy People Foundation, and have the attorney collect the money and then decide how to invest, etc.

My plan is to pretend I am working for a charitable foundation and that is why I live in a big house -- I'm the caretaker.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:41 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I've never spent a dollar on the lottery, but yah if somehow I won
$298M you would never hear from me.

--finish my book

IF I happen to notice that either the Mega Millions or Powerball jackpot is over 300 million (and only above that threshold, never below), I'll buy just one ticket for each drawing until there is a winner and it resets. I had one ticket for last night's drawing. I matched the Powerball and won $4 .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies