Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 08:55 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,570,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Hard to provide facts about fake stories that never had any facts to begin with.

That's what I call a great post. Its hard to name "Unnamed" sources too.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:57 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,799,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Again, how do you evacuate 6.5 million people? Where would they go? For how long? Then what?
There is no need to evacuate everyone.

However most at risk should have been gone days ago!

1. Firstly, if I was in charge. I would have gone on air and told all 72,000 who had homes damaged in last event to move everything of value up high and packup and be on high way within 4 hours.

Further they should take neighbors and full cars.

Traffic on all major highways outbound only. Traffic on small highways in bound okay only for emergency vehicles and supplies. No residents allowed back into city on a highway.

2. I would have requested everyone else to sit tight for six hours to allow the first flow out.

3. Second round is only those residents with one story homes that have seen street flooding.

4. Third round is residents with two story homes that have seen street flooding.

Absolutely control number of vehicles getting onto the on ramps.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:59 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
There is no need to evacuate everyone.
However most at risk should have been gone days ago!
1. Firstly, if I was in charge. I would have gone on air and told all 72,000 who had homes damaged in last event to move everything of value up high and packup and be on high way within 4 hours.
Further they should take neighbors and full cars.
Traffic on all major highways outbound only. Traffic on small highways in bound okay only for emergency vehicles and supplies. No residents allowed back into city on a highway.
2. I would have requested everyone else to sit tight for six hours to allow the first flow out.
3. Second round is only those residents with one story homes that have seen street flooding.
4. Third round is residents with two story homes that have seen street flooding.
Absolutely control number of vehicles getting onto the on ramps.
You have my vote.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Katy is in bad shape - I have a good friend down there and her neighborhood has flooded but no water in her house yet - but she can't get out so she's just sitting there hoping the water doesn't come in.
Seriously she should think what to do if water rises a lot more.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:02 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,265,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Think how bad it would be if the local authorities had said to evacuate like everyone wants. There is nowhere to go and we would be sitting ducks on the highway. And people are criticizing them for it. Hindsight is 20/20, but you never know where the worst rain is going to hit so you can't even do targeted evacuations until its almost too late.
That would make sense IF the Evacuation was called AFTER all the rains came, AFTER all the roads were under water. BUT -- that wasn't the case. The advise to Evacuate areas was 2 days before Harvey hit 210.5 miles South of Houston.

You KNOW that, and so do those paying attention. It's not "hindsight 20/20 when the National Hurricane Center and NOAA were saying with certainty that Houston would get huge amounts of rain and even giving what turned out to be correct predictions of the amount of that rain.

It's fine to say "Houston Leadership chose to not believe all that" - it not fine to say "it's nothing but hindsight" because they were never warned. There is video tape of all those warning, there are 30 advisories by the NHC.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:04 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Watching the local news and they're about to release the water from two large reservoirs in west Houston, which will flow (relatively close to us, I was wrong, the bayou does back up to a neighborhood about 4 mins from us) into the Buffalo Bayou and cause it and downtown to flood more, before flowing into the Houston Ship Channel.

First time ever.
Are you in a two story? I hope you guys are safe!

Old 08-27-2017, 09:10 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You need that Cajun Navy to bail out the living with the Nightwalker on the move! Hope you made it through GOT! Good luck!
The only problem is the Cajun navy might have a hard time arriving close enough to launch the boats due to all the freeway flooding.

But as my Louisiana buddy said, "Coonasses will find a way".

Old 08-27-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
That would make sense IF the Evacuation was called AFTER all the rains came, AFTER all the roads were under water. BUT -- that wasn't the case. The advise to Evacuate areas was 2 days before Harvey hit 210.5 miles South of Houston.

You KNOW that, and so do those paying attention. It's not "hindsight 20/20 when the National Hurricane Center and NOAA were saying with certainty that Houston would get huge amounts of rain and even giving what turned out to be correct predictions of the amount of that rain.

It's fine to say "Houston Leadership chose to not believe all that" - it not fine to say "it's nothing but hindsight" because they were never warned. There is video tape of all those warning, there are 30 advisories by the NHC.
Yeah! What Kibby said.

As a sailor I track these things days or weeks in advance.

There is another hurricane brewing off the African coast.

I watch these on a website called Windy.com

There is also a massive typhoon now brewing near the Philippines.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:24 PM

Speaking of incompetence, Why has the Harris County server not responded for past 45 minutes.

Did someone not realize during a flood the server must have a mirror site in a safe location??

Old 08-27-2017, 09:24 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,265,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Again, how do you evacuate 6.5 million people? Where would they go? For how long? Then what?
Houston doesn't have a population of 6.5 Million people. There are many Cities within the Houston Metro Area and each of those Cities have their own Government. The Mayor of Houston may think he rules over all of them, but that is simply not the case. The "where would they go" part is a bit more reasonable - the answer to that one is "they go where the Houston Metro Area has planned they would go". The Mayor of the small town of Port Aransas said his town does Evacuation drills and meetings 3 times a year, Corpus does the same. Port A has ONLY 2 routes out of town .... that certainly is not the case for the Houston Metro area - or even Houston itself.

Perhaps our Houston City residents can tell us how often the City of Houston has practiced or done meetings on Evacuations. The Houston Mayor himself admitted it wasn't a matter of "no place to go", it was a matter of the 2005 Evacuation during Rita ..... which was really done in a fit of Mass Hysteria in reaction to Katrina.

Mayor Turner and his Team made a decision - they didn't put up road block to force people to stay and be caught in this Flood. He made that decision against advise from FEMA, the Texas Governor, National Hurricane Center and ALL predictions. His Choice. Houston's Choice.

He's also been pretty much MIA since the rains began.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies