Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 04:52 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

Yes, and let's not absolve Obama and his lack of response to Katrina. These people seem to have forgotten that. But, everything is Trump's fault! Stupid asses!
So, Obama handled Katrina poorly

Old 08-28-2017, 05:03 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
While you and I do not always agree on things, I have to agree with you on that. Mother Nature can humble us a lot of times and there is nothing we can do about it. Yesterday I drove home and at times went through 2 feet of standing water. I saw one car that was stranded in the middle of the intersection with water half way up it's doors........and this was no hurricane, just a tropical depression.

And here is the reality of the situation. We have to take some responsibility as citizens and not rely on our government to hold our hands on every little issue. Every year, our government tells us what we need to do to prepare for a potential hurricane, and every year, 99% of us (me included) do nothing. Then, when a storm is approaching, we go to Walmart and fight over the last loaf of bread and we drive all over looking for batteries and water.

So our government can have all the preparation plans and evacuation plans in the world, and they are still not going to work smoothly because of us not worrying about it until it is right on top of us.
Good post!

Yes people should prepare more before these storms hit. The problem is that many do not have the funds to properly prepare. Many people are maxed out on their credit cards and have very little cash on hand. I am not making excuses for them; some are just bad managing their debt and setting priorities.

There is one great product I would like to see everybody buy before the storms hit. It saved our butts when we were out of power for five days. Here is a Harbor Freight Salvage link to a wonderful little flashlight: https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piec...ght-62521.html. You can find these little LED flashlights at other places besides Harbor Freight; I have seen them in hardware stores and Tractor Supply. The reason I am pushing them is because the batteries last a very long time; you have light when you need it, you don't have to worry about bad bulbs or a bad switches. The old flashlight we would drop one time and they would never work again.

One other very inexpensive product to buy would be the LED swivel head lights: https://www.harborfreight.com/Five-L...amp-61528.html.

People can buy both the head lights and small LED flashlights for what they would pay for one good hamburger and they will last many, many, days as storms and power outages persist. I have no financial interest in the companies that sell these; I am just a believer in these products from my own personal experiences. Although I have now replaced the batteries one or two times; I still have most of the same flashlights I purchased almost ten years ago. I keep one in my vehicles and at every night stand. They are a great product for emergencies like this one.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:21 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Good post!

Yes people should prepare more before these storms hit. The problem is that many do not have the funds to properly prepare. Many people are maxed out on their credit cards and have very little cash on hand. I am not making excuses for them; some are just bad managing their debt and setting priorities.

There is one great product I would like to see everybody buy before the storms hit. It saved our butts when we were out of power for five days. Here is a Harbor Freight Salvage link to a wonderful little flashlight: https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piec...ght-62521.html. You can find these little LED flashlights at other places besides Harbor Freight; I have seen them in hardware stores and Tractor Supply. The reason I am pushing them is because the batteries last a very long time; you have light when you need it, you don't have to worry about bad bulbs or a bad switches. The old flashlight we would drop one time and they would never work again.

One other very inexpensive product to buy would be the LED swivel head lights: https://www.harborfreight.com/Five-L...amp-61528.html.

People can buy both the head lights and small LED flashlights for what they would pay for one good hamburger and they will last many, many, days as storms and power outages persist. I have no financial interest in the companies that sell these; I am just a believer in these products from my own personal experiences. Although I have now replaced the batteries one or two times; I still have most of the same flashlights I purchased almost ten years ago. I keep one in my vehicles and at every night stand. They are a great product for emergencies like this one.
Great suggestion for stocking up on flashlights that work. Always a plus.

There's a BioLite wood burning camp stove that will also charge a cell phone. Good thing to have during an extended power outage.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:51 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Great suggestion for stocking up on flashlights that work. Always a plus.

There's a BioLite wood burning camp stove that will also charge a cell phone. Good thing to have during an extended power outage.
I know that many have cellphones they use to light their way. But you don't want to use up your batteries when you are faced with emergencies like this one. Of course this is all in hindsight today. I just worry about people sitting on their roofs and on the top of their cars and trying to get the attention of rescuers. These little lights could help. And, yes, anything that can charge a cellphone could also help. It would also serve a second purpose heating meals when you are without power.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:00 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you are depending on FEMA to save your ass good luck with that. An area I used to live in was flooded and FEMA was about useful as a boat with a giant hole in it. My particular favorite was all the trailers they brought in for emergency housing that required they be sited on land that was not in a flood zone. There must of been hundreds of them sitting in this old parking lot... unused because no one could use them.
I thought chartering 3 Carnival cruise ships to house 7000+ for 6 months following Katrina was a creative solution for the unthinkable. The 3 ships were amongst the oldest in the fleet and hardly the luxurious ocean liners that some media claimed at the time.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:01 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,004,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, Obama handled Katrina poorly
Yes. And I have never forgiven Obama for his poor handling of the 1911 Galveston hurricane. The man was simply nowhere to be found.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I know that many have cellphones they use to light their way. But you don't want to use up your batteries when you are faced with emergencies like this one. Of course this is all in hindsight today. I just worry about people sitting on their roofs and on the top of their cars and trying to get the attention of rescuers. These little lights could help. And, yes, anything that can charge a cellphone could also help. It would also serve a second purpose heating meals when you are without power.
I also includes a light. It's quite the gizmo. Has a weefan to make efficient use of the fuel. Saw it at REI.

Using the cell phone as a flashlight is a short-term solution.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:03 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I agree - the loss of life in all of the Harvey event is amazing. The other thing that strikes me is the lack of reports of Looting, gunfire and stuff like that often go with these events.
There are reports of looting. YouTube has several clips. People are people and there will always be crimes of opportunity.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Yes. And I have never forgiven Obama for his poor handling of the 1911 Galveston hurricane. The man was simply nowhere to be found.
Slacker.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:15 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I agree - the loss of life in all of the Harvey event is amazing. The other thing that strikes me is the lack of reports of Looting, gunfire and stuff like that often go with these events.
Lets hope there won't be looting, but that typically takes place few days after the storm. Houston is an urban area and it has the same problems as all urban areas. Not everyone is a saint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies