Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 02:31 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,391,106 times

Advertisements

An independent Catholic school in San Anselmo, California, has sparked the ire of some parents after officials removed and relocated a large number of religious statues, including those of Jesus and Mary, in order not to alienate children of other faiths.

Calif. Catholic school removes 'alienating' religious statues - Washington Times

First off, yes...private institution. Their business model. Their party, their rules.

On a personal note...how sad. Just so sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 02:34 PM

27,679 posts, read 16,166,190 times
Lol, wtf? The onion?

Old 08-25-2017, 02:35 PM

130,555 posts, read 12,148,053 times
That is plain ridiculous.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:37 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,875,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
That is plain ridiculous.
The world that liberals live in, usually is...

Old 08-25-2017, 02:42 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,694,459 times
My goodness....I can't imagine things happening all over the country and world "making me sad". I'm sure anyone is free to watch Mel Gibson movies over and over again if they enjoy the symbolism of real nails and blood.

All of you better watch out! As we speak....lots of people in lots of places are doing things that will "make you sad".

What is the "politics" of this? Isn't it as simple as "parents can put their children in another school?".

Personally, I'll stay with the Founders:

"Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity.
-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

BTW, only about 1/3 of Americans attend weekly religious services...and that includes ALL religions. The downward chart is continuing - meaning that today's youth are LESS likely to pray to statues.

Personally - if I were in most any business, I'd keep it toned down a bit. Actually, I have personal experience with this. I sold a very successful business to an employee of mine. He did great for about a decade just based on the goodwill and customers we handed over to him. But, during that time, he was "born again" and decided to have a large department dedicated to "gifts of faith" and also to display open Bibles in the window and the showroom.

He's virtually out of business. Every time I talk to anyone from the local community they tell me how they (and others) have been turned off.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:46 PM

33,566 posts, read 37,172,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
An independent Catholic school in San Anselmo, California, has sparked the ire of some parents after officials removed and relocated a large number of religious statues, including those of Jesus and Mary, in order not to alienate children of other faiths.

Calif. Catholic school removes 'alienating' religious statues - Washington Times

First off, yes...private institution. Their business model. Their party, their rules.

On a personal note...how sad. Just so sad.
What is sad is where you people get your news...

Washington Times.... Started by Unification Church founder Sun Myung Moon. In 2002 Rev. Moon outdid himself by proclaiming he established the Times "in response to heaven's direction" and that "The Washington Times will become the instrument in spreading the truth about God to the world."

The paper promotes all sorts of wingnut idiocies curiosities, including various pseudosciences (creationism, anti-environmentalism, global warming denial, false claims about abortion and abstinence-only sex education) and bigotry (homophobia, transphobia, Islamophobia, anti-secularism).

The Washington Times - RationalWiki

Old 08-25-2017, 02:46 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,391,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
My goodness....I can't imagine things happening all over the country and world "making me sad". I'm sure anyone is free to watch Mel Gibson movies over and over again if they enjoy the symbolism of real nails and blood.

All of you better watch out! As we speak....lots of people in lots of places are doing things that will "make you sad".

What is the "politics" of this? Isn't it as simple as "parents can put their children in another school?".

Personally, I'll stay with the Founders:

"Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity.
-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782
You just quoted a slave owner.

Where's your statue so I can knock it down?

Old 08-25-2017, 02:49 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,694,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
You just quoted a slave owner.

Where's your statue so I can knock it down?
I don't pray to deities or statues. Nor would I be outraged about others unwillingness to do so.

Perhaps, tho, you can steer me to your mosque? I hear you have lots of decoration and symbolism there and I'd like to learn about it.

Now - if you are talking removal of the Rocky Statue or Homer Simpson....then I'll get involved.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:50 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,742,885 times
Because they might offend children of other faiths? It is a Catholic school. If you go to a Catholic school you should expect to learn about the Catholic faith. If this is a problem then don't send your child to Catholic school.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:51 PM

27,679 posts, read 16,166,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What is sad is where you people get your news...

Washington Times.... Started by Unification Church founder Sun Myung Moon. In 2002 Rev. Moon outdid himself by proclaiming he established the Times "in response to heaven's direction" and that "The Washington Times will become the instrument in spreading the truth about God to the world."

The paper promotes all sorts of wingnut idiocies curiosities, including various pseudosciences (creationism, anti-environmentalism, global warming denial, false claims about abortion and abstinence-only sex education) and bigotry (homophobia, transphobia, Islamophobia, anti-secularism).

The Washington Times - RationalWiki
Forget the source, that's not the topic, or is that your deflection
California Catholic school under fire for removing and relocating 'alienating' religious statues | Fox News
Here's a local link http://www.marinij.com/article/NO/20...NEWS/170829883
Just look at these offensive statues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies