Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 10:16 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
When I see the whining righties complaining about corporations doing the same thing I'll believe they consider it a bad thing, until then I'll just consider them the hypocrites they are.
I'm not a "rightie". I dislike when people demonize an entire group of people over the actions of the few especially when the SPLC won't even provide any evidence against the few. This isn't right.

I thought very little of corporations and those like Romney using off shore tax havens and I'm most certainly not going to make an exemption here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 10:30 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
From the Washington Free Beacon -

The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), a liberal, Alabama-based 501(c)(3) tax-exempt charitable organization that has gained prominence on the left for its "hate group" designations, pushes millions of dollars to offshore entities as part of its business dealings, records show.

Southern Poverty Law Center Transfers Millions in Cash to Offshore Entities

So what is SPLC up to? Sounds like they're using hate-mongering to acquire vast wealth. Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson have been doing it for years. Shakedowns can be very lucrative.

And for you libs itching to label this fake news, here's the same story from one of your own.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...-foreign-firms
The dailykos article is from 2012. Do you have anything more recent? I mean 5 years old is definitely old news.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:39 AM

5,111 posts, read 2,052,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The dailykos article is from 2012. Do you have anything more recent? I mean 5 years old is definitely old news.
Which bring us to another question, how that article from the DailyKos passed under the radar until now?

Old 09-05-2017, 10:46 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
There is no law against partisan political groups collecting and investing money, nor lavishly compensating their adminstrators. The only troubling thing regarding the SPLC is the mainstream media's continual portrayal of that group as an unbiased neutral authority on the topic of hatred and discrimination, both of which the SPLC regularly practices in its efforts to smear and demonize any group it arbitrarily chooses to attack.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:21 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Ah, no numbers....????

I didn't ask who they gave 500K to. I asked you to come up with BILLIONS like the Kochs and their network.

You couldn't and didn't.

End of story.

Note - there is a vast difference in "groups". For example, Soros partnered with the Libertarian Party here in MA. in order to decrim Pot. That's a GOOD thing.

The Kochs fighting to take away medical care, spew more pollution and be more secretive in the political $$$ and process - that is a bad thing.

I would have thought you learned the difference between bad and good on Sesame Street. One of these thing is NOT like the other. Some people fight for Freedom, others for POWER and MONEY.

Soros runs the Open Society Foundation - clearly based on PEOPLE having the power:
https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/

The Kochs run dozens - or possibly a hundred or more - orgs (many secret) which allow powerful men to get their way - meaning taking money from the people and steering it to the 1%.

I guess we know what "side" of a open society you are on?
You didn't give any numbers for the Koch's. You simply said they gave "BILLIONS." Where are your numbers?

Soros' "Open Society Foundation" is clearly based not on PEOPLE having power, but on CERTAIN people having power.

By the way, Sesame Street was not around when I was a child. We didn't even have television until I was probably in the 3rd grade.

I see you're from Rhode Island. My father was born and raised in Providence.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:50 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
Which bring us to another question, how that article from the DailyKos passed under the radar until now?

Because Tucker Carlson had some guy on Fox the other night talking about the offshoring, and I'm sure it was then carried by every talk radio d-bag, and now their d-bag fans are regurgitating the same old story here. That's how things work in right wing Rush Limbaugh/Hannity land. He tells his fans they aren't the low information voters, and then they spew whatever line of BS those guys have been spreading like parrots and lemmings.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:31 PM

5,111 posts, read 2,052,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Because Tucker Carlson had some guy on Fox the other night talking about the offshoring, and I'm sure it was then carried by every talk radio d-bag, and now their d-bag fans are regurgitating the same old story here. That's how things work in right wing Rush Limbaugh/Hannity land. He tells his fans they aren't the low information voters, and then they spew whatever line of BS those guys have been spreading like parrots and lemmings.
For a moment I thought the SPLC had hired some guys with baseball bats (the Sopranos maybe?) who did a visit to the DailyKos office and talking to the staff of the Daily Kos will have free swimming lessons with cement shoes if they continue their enquiry, lol.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:56 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Let's see....

Mitt a "tax cheat":
Mitt Romney

But when Soros-backed group does the exact same thing, they are doing nothing wrong.

You're such a hypocrite. Man up and be consistent.
That's Rolling Stones opinion, not mine. I know, everything seems to mix together when you're always spreading misinformation.. Romney would have made a bad president, but I never claimed he was a tax cheat. He's just like every other rich American, he uses the tax codes to his advantage. Trump on the other hand is probably a tax cheat. There's definitely something up when a presidential candidate doesn't release his tax records...

Old 09-06-2017, 02:22 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Here's an update on the SPLC story from The Weekly Standard - The Southern Poverty Law Center Has $69 Million Parked Overseas | The Weekly Standard

The SPLC is claiming bfd, corporations do it, but the SPLC isn't a corporation, they're a bunch of fear mongers claiming the moral high ground over the rest of us lowlifes. And what the hell are they doing sitting on nearly $70 million? Interesting how they're parking money out of sight. Anyone else wonder what the SPLC is hiding? Anyone wondering who is funding antifa?

Old 09-06-2017, 02:39 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,719 times
I had a friend who donated to them back in the 90s and I looked over some of their literature at her house. Also did some web research. They are tight with the ADL for whom I have no respect. They do seem to fan the fires of whatever sparks they can find - and start their own if need be for their aims. Not trustworthy in my opinion. Dogmatic, if you know what I mean. If you don't agree with us you are wrong and a racist, etc - (insert negative pronoun here).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies