Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2017, 12:16 PM

35,755 posts, read 21,122,405 times

Advertisements

Come on --volunteer with me to Texas- - I am almost done with my training so I can be put on the volunteer calendar. if God forbid- Irma doesn't happen first- I'll show you economics first hand - then you can come back and report your findings -deal??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 12:18 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,076,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
$20/gal is a bit ridiculous but you'd feel differently if you were a gas station operator, your entire business had been disrupted by the storm, and you've got idiots coming in making a run on fuel buying as much as they can. Hoarding is just as disruptive as high prices and if businesses aren't allowed to do anything to stop them besides raise their prices then it's dumb to point the finger just at the gas station operators.
You could just as easily put a 10 gallon limit on customers. price gouging in Texas after a disaster is a crime.

HEB put limits on food items in their stores all over the state to prevent hoarding and running out as stock is limited. I went shopping Tuesday and my HEB had limited on bottled water, milk, bread and other items that usually run out in panic buying. I'm in north central Texas and was not impacted by the storm.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
$20/gal is a bit ridiculous but you'd feel differently if you were a gas station operator, your entire business had been disrupted by the storm, and you've got idiots coming in making a run on fuel buying as much as they can. Hoarding is just as disruptive as high prices and if businesses aren't allowed to do anything to stop them besides raise their prices then it's dumb to point the finger just at the gas station operators.
again not sure why the GOVERNOR has NOT put limits on the gas?? ready to tweet him -- quota gov' quota-- limits-- make it last

Old 09-01-2017, 12:22 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,402,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Instead of fines and jail, law enforcement should just look the other way while the residents have their way with this scumbag. This is a situation that demands frontier style justice.
You anti-capitalists are a violent bunch.

Oh my!

Old 09-01-2017, 12:36 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,774,415 times
Quote:
Everyone has been disrupted. It is illegal to price gauge period. Perhaps the fuel trucks who deliver to this owner the next time should increase the price by 900% because he really needs it? Seriously there is a reason these laws are in place.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:47 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,328,425 times
What are people paying for gas around the nation? I paid $2.65 a gallon yesterday in Michigan, expect it to go higher.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:50 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,595,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
You anti-capitalists are a violent bunch.

Oh my!

One cannot be both anti-capitalism and non-violent.

Capitalism by definition is free enterprise or based on voluntary transactions.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:52 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,595,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Everyone has been disrupted. It is illegal to price gauge period. Perhaps the fuel trucks who deliver to this owner the next time should increase the price by 900% because he really needs it? Seriously there is a reason these laws are in place.
Once again, it's illegal but wrong. The law is a political move not a scientific at all.

This anti-price gouging law appeases the clueless but actually hurts them more.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
It's called "regular shipping", dude!
so are you joining me in the effort? my coworker leaves Sunday- you can go with him... or me when I get set up///ready?

Old 09-01-2017, 01:37 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,741,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Anti-price gouging law hurts people. That's not a disputed fact in economics.

It's a stupid, immoral and evil political decision.

Why can't we go to Florida? What are you planning to do?
You need to back this up with evidence. I think you just made that up to further your agenda without any real facts to go along with it. Emotional outbursts like that do not draw people to your cause. Please reference incidents of someone, anyone being hurt by these anti-gouging laws.

Here in Houston I've only seen people being helped by these laws, not harmed. Poor people in addition to wealthy people are able to go into a store and get the supplies they need at the normal price. To date NOT ONE PERSON can be shown that has been hurt by these laws and all are grateful for their existence. A lot of stores are implementing quantity control in order to ensure everyone can get what they need. You seem to forget that in all of your posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies