Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 09:16 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
With or without Columbus, Europe was going to (re)discover the existence of north america. Improved ship and navigational technology, combined with greater prosperity and thus larger markets for luxuries, made that inevitable. Columbus was the first to get the funding, but if he hadn't, someone else would have, and in about the same time frame. In fact, that's one of the selling points he used - did Spain want to be first, or not?

I think each of us will make up our own minds about whether Columbus is worthy of honor.

If a town that has a Columbus statue decides to keep it, I'm good with that decision. It's theirs to make. But were it my town, I'd definitely be agitating for it to come down.
Fair enough.

On the lighter side, check out this obscure classic. Start at 2:25...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLU...TY&mode=NORMAL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 09:18 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,464 times
Lets first focus on getting the Confederate monuments removed than we'll see...

Old 09-05-2017, 09:22 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
The Arlington cemetery must be discontinued... we can't promote war, the darling snowflakes are writhing on the floor just at the thought!

Old 09-05-2017, 09:38 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,014,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
This is the exact thinking of a large majority of white people at the time - before and after. You act as if it's something different or special.

BTW, there was a note from Sherman to Lincoln saying clearly that unless he (or the Union) killed EVERY Confederate, that the goals of the war (a happy and free union) would never be achieved. BUT, Sherman hardly killed anyone. So he was a great man in that sense, not taking the law into his own hands.

Amazingly enough, Sherman was proven correct. If he or Lincoln would have been able to travel into the future and see 150 years of continuing disunion caused by slaveowners and their supporters, they probably wouldn't have been softies on the South.

As far as Indians - the truth of the matter is somewhat as he notes. Sure, there were some Indian tribes who integrated into modern "european" life. But there was no way that whites (property bandits) could possibly live with those who consider a more communal and primitive society.

That may sound non-PC, but I'm only the messenger. White people have been killing and stealing from the natives here since the week they landed. In some cases (the Spanish) they actually came for the express reason of torturing, killing and plundering...even the others had that in mind, but did it by "owning property".

This is the reality of our history. However, in the smaller microcosm of These United States, we had the unfortunate treason of millions of Confederates. I'd say even Indians would have killed off their brethren if said brethren turned against them.

Welcome to humanity. This is the story of history.
No if Lincoln could see into the future the war would not have happened.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:52 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,884,494 times
This whole issue is a Left wing white wash away of our country History. All of these Generals were harden command from the Civil War. As mention the Indians were at war with us and they lost.

The Tribes could never build a fighting force that was a effective fighting force that could amass forces more than the Battle of Big Horn. (7th Calvary under Custer. )

Many of the lefts race baiters forget the Hero's of the West General . Crook, whom actual fought for Indian rights.
General George Crook - Discover Southeast Arizona, Cochise County

www.discoverseaz.com/History/General_Crook.html
  1. Cached
  2. Similar

At the date of which I am now writing General Crook was an ideal soldier in every sense. He stood about six feet in his stockings, was straight as an arrow,

I grow tire of those who wish to rewrite History. These Federal Generals did their job as they were obligated to open the west and protect the Settlers from the East.. There is many examples of this World History, like the Roman Empire. Although ruthless they demonstrated that the known world could be ruled under a central Government.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:25 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,224,978 times
General Sherman burned Atlanta 150 years too soon! Thus doesn't get any statues!

Old 09-06-2017, 11:03 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
NEW <<< York was named after the city of York in England (York is a walled city in northeast England that was founded by the ancient Romans). Just as NEW<<< Jersey was named after Jersey Isle in England. (Jersey is the largest of the Channel Islands, between England and France.)
Um, wasn't England our enemy also. You know once we committed treason.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:05 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Lets refocus on certain people getting over it.

Besides, more Confederate monuments are appearing on private land in public view than those on public lands are taken down.

Why I say get over it.

An article from the NY times so liberals will believe it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/u...s.html?mcubz=3

Old 09-06-2017, 11:09 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Lets refocus on certain people getting over it.

Besides, more Confederate monuments are appearing on private land in public view than those on public lands are taken down.

Why I say get over it.

I was born, and raised a Yankee, and am a Yankee, but for the love of Pete, I'd like to tell any city that is forced by these bored, micro-confused SJW's to take down a statue to come put it on my FRONT LAWN. This is just so ridiculous.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:21 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
The Native Americans don't see it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies