Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2017, 04:51 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,448,314 times

Advertisements

His recent moves have left the Congressional Republicans dangling in the wind, his deal on the debt ceiling with the Democrats forces another vote on it right before the midterm elections--made Ryan and McConnell look like fools and dropped the DACA issue right back in their laps---The Art of the Deal, indeed!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...a5b_story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 04:59 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,327,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
His recent moves have left the Congressional Republicans dangling in the wind, his deal on the debt ceiling with the Democrats forces another vote on it right before the midterm elections--made Ryan and McConnell look like fools and dropped the DACA issue right back in their laps---The Art of the Deal, indeed!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...a5b_story.html

I haven't really read the details of the "deal" he made with the Democrats except that I read that it involved a short term debt ceiling increase. The Republicans, I have read, were looking for a long term increase (or more likely, a permanent increase).

I also read that the Republicans wanted to tie the Relief to other spending packages they wanted to "shove" through. Perhaps the Democrats are doing the same ...I don't know.

I think it was a smart move by Trump to work with the Democrats on this, rather than fight over the debt limit increase the Republicans were seeking and delay Relief for the victims and rebuilding. My thoughts are that it showed some good will, and perhaps ...just perhaps, softened the Democrats just a bit, and maybe they will be more willing to work with him now on other issues. We'll see.

Just my thoughts.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:04 AM

12,043 posts, read 6,581,834 times
I am hoping the Dems and their media will work with Trump a bit more now, and Ryan and McConnell will get a grip on reality and finally get SOMETHING done!!

Old 09-07-2017, 05:05 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,348,810 times
If you have to go to Democrats to get things done then cut out the middle man and just vote Democrat next time.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:06 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,448,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I haven't really read the details of the "deal" he made with the Democrats except that I read that it involved a short term debt ceiling increase. The Republicans, I have read, were looking for a long term increase (or more likely, a permanent increase).

I also read that the Republicans wanted to tie the Relief to other spending packages they wanted to "shove" through. Perhaps the Democrats are doing the same ...I don't know.

I think it was a smart move by Trump to work with the Democrats on this, rather than fight over the debt limit increase the Republicans were seeking and delay Relief for the victims and rebuilding. My thoughts are that it showed some good will, and perhaps ...just perhaps, softened the Democrats just a bit, and maybe they will be more willing to work with him now on other issues. We'll see.

Just my thoughts.
Makes sense. I'm in favor of his crossing the aisle...the Repubs..especially the Conservative wing...are in danger of seeing their agenda marginalized and the moderates are heartened.

True political compromise would be a good thing for our country, IMO.

I wonder what the alt/right's take is on this development? No wall funding, at least for now.
It is becoming clear that DACA is not in the danger that it appeared to be, at first glance.
Pelosi and Schumer coming out of the White House smiling and being praised by Trump...an odd sight these days.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:08 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,533,174 times
Hahaha, the Right is having a fit over Trump's action to embrace the democrats funding plan. Bannon and his band of rabble rousers are already meeting behind closed doors to pressure McConnell and Ryan to control the situation. Trump is, as always, not aligned to anyone but his own interests. This will be entertaining!

Old 09-07-2017, 05:13 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,595,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I'm starting to agree with you, which is why I'm amazed that the Democrats are so angry and fighting at Trump. The Republicans in Congress are weak. Democrats should be supporting him as Trump is obviously a Democrat, including legal immigration policy, which Democrats used to support, too.
I'm reserving judgment on this deal. As for Trump's "true" political affiliation, I don't consider him either a Republican or a Democrat. I consider him an opportunist. I'm aware that all politicians flip-flop sometimes, but he seems to change position by the hour. I've watched lots of his interviews over the years, and he changes his mind, then changes it back again, with a frequency and speed that make my head spin.
Differences in policy would cause me to disagree with him - it's his complete lack of consistency that causes me to distrust him. I'm just not ready to trust him yet. I don't have much sympathy for Republicans who feel betrayed. Evidence of his inconsistency has been out there right along, for anyone who cared to notice.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:16 AM

34,244 posts, read 18,607,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The Trumpists might finally realize that their hero knows no loyalties, nor would have any hesitation to toss them all in the dumpster, if it pleased his fancy at the moment. But since he's all they have, they might be good cult members and stick with him, regardless. The weakness of their collective character would be there for all to see, but as for self-awareness, maybe not at all.
Trumpists, Trumpeteers, Trumplings, Trumpkins. I've heard them all. We're Americans, and want the CITIZENS of this country to succeed, be prosperous, and as happy as possible. When you stop using little girl style names, you may get some credibility.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:16 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,595,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Readying for Irma feeling bit tired and low, read the news haha ha made my day. I can see Ryan wutt???? better laugh now, weekend crucial.
Take care, and let us know how you're doing. I keep hoping Irma will veer to the east, back out to sea.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:23 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,327,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Makes sense. I'm in favor of his crossing the aisle...the Repubs..especially the Conservative wing...are in danger of seeing their agenda marginalized and the moderates are heartened.

True political compromise would be a good thing for our country, IMO.

I wonder what the alt/right's take is on this development? No wall funding, at least for now.
It is becoming clear that DACA is not in the danger that it appeared to be, at first glance.
Pelosi and Schumer coming out of the White House smiling and being praised by Trump...an odd sight these days.
The wall must be getting funding from somewhere, because I have read that bids are being sought from contractors based on concept models, and I believe I read that some portions of the "wall" are already underway (the configuration will not be identical over the length, because of differences in terrain, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies