Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2017, 07:43 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Democrats finally caved and worked with Trump. Something they should do more of instead of all the resist nonsense. Having the same do nothing record maybe the GOP will wake up too.
You need dramamine for how much you'll spin something. The Democrats are smiling as they leave that meeting and the Congressional Republicans are furious - - but the Democrats caved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 07:45 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,111,956 times
The fact that Trump voters truly believe that Donald is a conservative is mind-boggling.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:45 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I wonder what Chuck and Nancy got out of it?
What Chuck and Nancy did NOT get was to tie the Debt Ceiling or Budget CR to DACA.
That's exactly what they will do at the end of the year ......

What McConnell & Ryan did NOT get was to extend the Debt Ceiling & possibly the Budget CR until after the 2018 Elections.

What Trump got was the Debt Ceiling issue solved for right now, and the CR solved for right now - and the FEMA Money needed for both Harvey and Irma. He also delivered a message to Ryan/McConnell -- I want results and am more interested in results than I am in your 2018 re-election gambits.

There are a couple of interesting amendments in the House bill - we will see if they make it through the Senate.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:55 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
But aren't those Trump's executive orders and not from Congress?
I thought Congress hasn't gotten anything done.
Or am I wrong?
E.O.'s are not legislation. They are orders to Executive Agencies that communicate what the policy will be for that particular agency, and how they are to conduct business. The "travel ban," for example, was the President exercising his Constitutional authority over immigration policy.

Therefore, E.O.'s do not go through Congress, and do not require any Congressional approval. They are strictly internal memoranda directed at Executive Agencies that report to the President.

There have been 54 pieces of legislation passed by Congress (I believe that to be the correct number).

Old 09-07-2017, 08:57 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It is for the illusion to get the base mad at Trump.
Speaker Ryan & Majority Leader McConnell, were also present.

The Media is trying to run the direction of the nation, again.

Even devotees can't figure out what to do with this move so here we go with media thing again. I can clearly see all devotees usually identified with BB's TT's NN's getting mad at their God

Old 09-07-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I just saw someone trying to ask Pelosi about the meeting--she didn't sound like it was so terrific.
Pelosi & Schumer now have a problem -

It should be interesting to hear how Pelosi and Schumer explain to their press why they are working with Satan. They have been claiming that Trump is an illegitimate President, incompetent, a rabid racist, and should be impeached. Why would anyone of good character cut deals with someone like that? That's the kind of question they're going to be asked again and again.

Added to that -- I doubt they can back out of this "deal".
1) It's too important (FEMA money for Harvey/Irma + stop Government shutdown & default.) THEY get the blame if it doesn't go through

2) All the press about how Trump sided with Pelosi/Schumer & "shafted the do nothing GOP"

Old 09-07-2017, 09:28 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Trump fails again - he was gonna use that debt ceiling to shut down government until they get The Wall.

So much for "fiscal conservatives" - they are raising the Nations debt without any way to pay for it - AND, even without a basic up/down vote.

Harry Truman "The buck stops here"
Don the Con "Pass the Buck".
You're amusing. Had there been no disaster or pending disaster like Florida I'd bet he would have held to that.
Given what's happened, what would you have said if he ignored the disaster(s) and held to his shut down? You'd be screaming about how evil and heartless he is.
I think he made the only choice he could given the circumstances.

Your TDS is getting worse, seek treatment soon!

Old 09-07-2017, 09:35 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Good for Trump, working with Both sides is what the President is Supposed to do. They gave us a short extension for borrowing so that a few issues could be addressed, the only reason the Repubs are upset is that they wanted a permanent raising of how much debt they can put us in as a Nation. Funny that the President and Dems worked out something that was more Conservative than what the so-called conservatives want to do. Once again, Good For Trump.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
You are wrong. Trump voters are very UNhappy with his decision on DACA.

Trump has also said he would revisit DACA in 6 months if Congress fails to act, which they won't. They haven't for 10 years. He isn't getting rid of it.
Explain to me exactly why you believe that the word "revisit" means President Trump will unilaterally do an Executive Action like Obama did on DACA?

The Leftist Media is claiming that's what it means, the Hysterical anti-Immigration Republicans are claiming that what it means - I believe that only President Trump knows what he means & he and Jeff Sessions have always been on the same page when it comes to Illegal Immigration. President Trump chose Jeff Sessions to make the announcement and tossed the ball to Congress because the Obama Policy on DACA has ENDED and the Federal Courts have already ruled that it is Un-Constitutional based on the DAPA Court decisions that went to the US Supreme Court. Congress is the ONLY authority that has the power to change Immigration Law.

IF Congress does nothing at all -- everyone will "revisit", not just the President. That is a reality, but it sure doesn't mean that the Obama Policy goes back into place.

Calm down and quit listening to Leftist Pundits that put their own spin on every word Donal Trump says.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
He didn't "switch sides!" Personally, I think it was a smart move.
Democrats and Republicans were ALL willing to hold Hurricane victims and Fire victims Hostage for their own Agenda ....... never forget that the CongressCritters have a United Agenda Priority - "Get re-elected".

President Trump refused to play their game and got exactly what he wanted - Money for FEMA, Money for Defense & the Debt Ceiling/Budget CR extended. He got it immediately without the month long arguments in Congress ...... providing that the Democrats vote they way they promised in the meeting yesterday.

The Republicans wanted to extend all this past the 2018 election - Mr Trump turned that down and took the Democrats offer of a vote right now ..... which I'm sure shocked Pelosi/Schumer and now they must follow thru on in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies