Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 02:29 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

That's a whole different discussion.... just ask House Rep. Saclise.
Ask him what? If Assault weapons are more than most people need for basic home defense?
Or why he favors unlimited guns out there?

Not sure what I'd ask him but I feel bad he had to learn by experience what it feels like for those 10's of thousands each year killed by gun violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 02:32 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,098,442 times
Most people I know support DACA in principle, as in they support giving some kind of leeway to illegal immigrants who were brought here as children (i.e. they didn't choose to break any laws; the circumstances were out of their control).

Deporting some guy who, at the age of 30, decided to just walk in is one thing, but deporting a 20 year old man who's been here since he was 4 is different. He grew up here. America is his home as he's known no other.

As I said, most support what DACA does.

I'm happy with the path Trump's taken on this. He's chosen to phase out the EO, and won't begin that process until March. He's told congress to work on an alternative, and they've got time to do so. I'm a pretty ardent Trump critic, but Trump's actions on this have been entirely reasonable.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:34 PM

63,001 posts, read 29,178,555 times
When an American breaks the law and is caught depending on the crime or offense the punishment fits the crime. When an illegal alien is caught they are to be deported. The punishment fits the crime. I have to laugh when the pro-illegals make the claim that if even one American breaks the law then be have no right to enforce our immigration laws. It's one of the most bizarre arguments I have ever heard.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:37 PM

45,591 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Are you referring to the Muslim travel ban? Or the military transgender ejection?
Those will be subject to change just like DACA.

They should be passed the regular way just like ObamaCare.

The difference is that the travel ban doesn't break any laws since it was based on country, not religion. Not sure about how personnel laws apply with regards to the military.

With DACA - there is a direct conflict with the existing laws.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Ask him what? If Assault weapons are more than most people need for basic home defense?
Or why he favors unlimited guns out there?

Not sure what I'd ask him but I feel bad he had to learn by experience what it feels like for those 10's of thousands each year killed by gun violence.
Ask him about a Maddow follower who tried to attempt a mass murder of government officials... just linking back to your comment about hate and conspiracies...

Old 09-06-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
When an American breaks the law and is caught depending on the crime or offense the punishment fits the crime. When an illegal alien is caught they are to be deported. The punishment fits the crime. I have to laugh when the pro-illegals make the claim that if even one American breaks the law then be have no right to enforce our immigration laws. It's one of the most bizarre arguments I have ever heard.
You are fighting a straw man here. Note that the people who start these threads are the ones talking about equal adherence to the LAW.

So, by answering them we are simply asking if they follow and agree with the laws themselves. Apparently, we are all sinners.

The VAST Majority of this country is not "pro-illegal immigrant" - rather, they are "pro immigration". The only reason it has come to this point is that Congress (really the GOP) has refused to sit down and create a comprehensive plan for total immigration reform. That would allow us to live by a set of laws to address all aspects of the issue and we wouldn't have to argue about a Wall. We'd simply enforce the laws in the most efficient way possible (not hard).

But - since the GOP gains "red meat" from never doing anything, they haven't.

Hopefully, this DACA thing will force their hand. Still, they don't want to give up their big wedge issue....god forbid that they should bring people together and solve problems. The Status Quo is their game...

Old 09-06-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Ask him about a Maddow follower who tried to attempt a mass murder of government officials... just linking back to your comment about hate and conspiracies...
Did Rachel ask people to take up "2nd Amendment Remedies?". I've seen many GOP Government officials and party members claim they were ready to do that. Does Gabby Giffords ring a bell?

Let's not get into this "who kills more" since nearly 3/4 of all political murders in the USA are from the Right - and something like 7% from the left (the remainder, I assume, are weird and unclassified).

Old 09-06-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
You are fighting a straw man here. Note that the people who start these threads are the ones talking about equal adherence to the LAW.

So, by answering them we are simply asking if they follow and agree with the laws themselves. Apparently, we are all sinners.

The VAST Majority of this country is not "pro-illegal immigrant" - rather, they are "pro immigration". The only reason it has come to this point is that Congress (really the GOP) has refused to sit down and create a comprehensive plan for total immigration reform. That would allow us to live by a set of laws to address all aspects of the issue and we wouldn't have to argue about a Wall. We'd simply enforce the laws in the most efficient way possible (not hard).

But - since the GOP gains "red meat" from never doing anything, they haven't.

Hopefully, this DACA thing will force their hand. Still, they don't want to give up their big wedge issue....god forbid that they should bring people together and solve problems. The Status Quo is their game...
Dems had their chance as well in 2009-2010.

Old 09-06-2017, 03:02 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,171,947 times
Quote:
If I break the law, I will either get fined or go to jail.
Correct, and Trump and his staff will experience this when Mueller hands out the indictments

Old 09-06-2017, 03:02 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
So, give us a figure.

Out of X times that you exceed the speed limit, jaywalk, smoke a joint (or someone you know does so), drive buzzed or the thousands of other such breaking of laws and codes.....

How many days of jail have you served or fines paid?

I'm interested because, frankly, I've never met anyone who hasn't broken many laws many times.

(Gambling, etc.)
Which of those transgressions pull money out of tax payers pockets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies