Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should voting age be raised to 30?
Yes, raise the voting age to 30 17 13.82%
No, keep the voting age 18 106 86.18%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 03:58 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times

Advertisements

If you can enlist and defend your country at the age of 18 then you should be able to

a. Drink alcoholic beverages

b. Vote in ALL elections

Ann Coulter should go and get stuffed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 04:29 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
They have it wrong. Given how the over 55 crowd has screwed up the future for the under 35 crowd, they have it backwards. Perhaps the over 55 crowd are the ones that should not be allowed to vote

Old 09-13-2017, 04:31 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
The left takes the bait every single time.

You realize Ann Coulter makes a living by selling books and booking speaking engagements. And she sells more books and gets paid for more speeches by taunting the left and their reaction to it. Saying that college students should not vote will bring out more of them to protest her speeches which makes her more popular to the right.

Good for you by doing your part to make Ann a little richer.

Bingo.

They fall for it every single time too.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:33 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
They have it wrong. Given how the over 55 crowd has screwed up the future for the under 35 crowd, they have it backwards. Perhaps the over 55 crowd are the ones that should not be allowed to vote
Now think carefully about this.

Do you think this 55 over crowd you speak of, also screwed up how they raised their kids?

Old 09-13-2017, 04:47 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I don't know if I would go that far. But I understand your sentiment because while it may be unpopular to admit (what politician would admit this?), a lot of people have the mentality of "as long as I get what I want, screw everyone else, including future generations". And even though no politician would say this, older people are far from being immune from that kind of selfish thinking.

Decision making skews towards the interest of the older crowd because (1) they participate more frequently which admittedly can be the fault of apathetic younger people who don't vote or don't make it a high enough priority; but also (2) because the median voter age is by default higher than the median citizen age because people in their first 17 years don't get to participate the process of making decisions that are going to affect them much stronger and for a much longer period of time than people who are in the last season of their lives already. And there are people, who have shown themselves on this thread, who want to make this situation worse? Why?

No one "bit" on my post earlier in the thread. An idea that would be better than unconstitutionally and unethically disenfranchising people under 30 would be to give at least conditional voting rights to people under 18. Even if it's structured differently than a general vote. For example, a cabinet of younger people that have demonstrated an exceptional and rare level of excellence in scholastic achievement or public service could be put in a real decision making capacity of some sort (for education decisions that will likely affect them or their younger siblings or for having a vote in Social Security decisions that they will be the ones dealing with long after the traditional voters are gone). They would be able to run circles around a large chunk of the current voting population who are either uninformed, or worse, proud to be uninformed based on their own confirmation biases.

I understand there would be all kinds of legal and procedural barriers that would almost certainly shoot down such an idea for the foreseeable future, but I sure as heck think it's a better idea than raising the voting age to 30. And I would put my bets on it having a much better outcome for our country than going in the opposite, wrong direction.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:53 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
18 to 75 but mandatory. No vote. No DL

Old 09-13-2017, 05:44 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
18 to 75 but mandatory. No vote. No DL
So now my bright, engaged, educated late-septugenarian parents don't get to vote. That should go over well with them.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:47 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I think only property owners should be allowed to vote.
No, only those who served in the military honourably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies