Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 06:12 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times

Advertisements

An amazing article:
Heroin in Cincinnati: This is what an epidemic looks like - Cincinnati.com

Question - I guess - is this political? It involves LE and every facet of our society. It involves our children, preggy women, etc.
It involves our jails...and our jobs or lack of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 06:21 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
An amazing article:

Question - I guess - is this political? It involves LE and every facet of our society. It involves our children, preggy women, etc.
Oooof. What a question.

The only "non-political" option is to let them die while doing nothing about the problem.

If we want to do something about the problem, then it becomes political. Who, how many, how much, how... All of those questions are necessarily political.

It is somewhat ironic that Reagan's welfare queens are now almost entirely white, and the crack epidemic is now opioids.

Most Americans would rather they die quietly and not make a scene. Most pharma companies would rather make money off easily produced pills. Barring a miracle, I suspect the epidemic will continue unabated.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:32 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
An amazing article:

Yes, and it's just about everywhere. That could be about St. Louis too. In recent years I see more and more young people, including women, girls really out panhandling on highways - others doing worse, and you just know they are hooked on heroin.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:03 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Opiates/ opioids are equal opportunity destroyers.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:53 PM

27 posts, read 12,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Opiates/ opioids are equal opportunity destroyers.
In some ways, but maybe not in others. I live in the south and the problem doesn't seem even remotely close here to how bad it is up north and in the Midwest. I rarely hear about opioids in the local news down here, but my wife has had several people she knew from her hometown OD just this year.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:12 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Able Wager View Post
In some ways, but maybe not in others. I live in the south and the problem doesn't seem even remotely close here to how bad it is up north and in the Midwest. I rarely hear about opioids in the local news down here, but my wife has had several people she knew from her hometown OD just this year.
Where in the South? I know it's bad in KY - and the pill mills in FL used to have parking lots full of WV, TN, KY, NC and SC plates.

In Florida it may not seem as bad since everyone is on legal opiates.

The New South got many of the jobs that the midwest lost....and some of the opiate problem has to do with the hopelessness of the rust belt.....things are so much worse than the last generation and that was worse than the one before that.

So it makes some sense that certain regions of the deeper south have less of a problem.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:16 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
The Senate voted today to continue our protection of the opiate fields in Afghanistan.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:18 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
* from Cincinnati and live there *
I read it in the Sunday paper- I actually thought it was WELL written.

Here are my thoughts:
It was nice to get that perspective.
It was nice to showcase addicts OTHER than the stereotypes ( poor, hookers, blacks).
It was sad that some of them would rather die than get help and it makes you wonder about the kind of help ( is it good enough? is it long standing?)
I liked they showed it all over Cincinnati, not just the bad areas.

I think the saddest was the baby who just had a check up and her mom died 10 days later.

We have a HUGE problem here in the Nati but it can be fixed! My husband was an addict ( not of drugs) and with the RIGHT help, support and his own willingness, you can overcome addiction!

Old 09-13-2017, 08:18 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Able Wager View Post
It's really more of a mid-nation-mountain issue. Wherever you find mountains east of the Rockies and south of NY, you find the problem (plus parts of Florida). A bit different out west.

Drug overdose deaths are on the rise in the US - SAS Learning Post

Old 09-13-2017, 08:24 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,541,930 times
This one is probably better since it's a map specifically for opiod deaths.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies