Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 02:07 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times

Advertisements

No one is more anti-war than I am.

That said, what Trump has accomplished with ISIS in Iraq & Syria is nothing short of amazing. ISIS is for all intents and purposes done. They were chased out of their stronghold of Raqqa in Syria & chased all the way out of Syria onto the Iraq border. In Iraq, ISIS was defeated and chased out of their stronghold of Mosul and pushed all the way to the Syrian border. That's essentially where ISIS is as we speak, surrounded on the border between Syria & Iraq. They're toast.

Now that the militarism is wrapping up the bigger question of nation building looms. Trump has said he doesn't intend to be the policeman of the world and that we need to reduce our military footprint. Still, Bush built the single largest forward attack base on the planet in Iraq and labelled it an "embassy". We will not abandon the "embassy" because it's where we launch all of our air & drone strikes in the Middle East from. If we could finish off ISIS & leave JUST the "embassy", while handing over control to Iraq, I'd be very happy with that compromise.

In Syria, I believe we will leave & allow the Syrians to their own devices as we should have from the start. Many will shriek that Russia wins the proxy war, but we are not invited to be in Syria, Russia is.

In Afghanistan, there seems to be no point to our militarism. That said, we have been trying the same nonsense for 17 years. While I'd rather come home, I'm willing to give Trump's generals a chance to do it there their way for once & see if the results are different? I suspect we'll see major troop drawdowns within 18 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 02:14 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
The term warmonger is inaccurate, they are really just imperialists.

And imperialism is just the way of the world, and always has been.

Complaining about imperialism is a waste of time.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:36 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
That said, what Trump has accomplished with ISIS in Iraq & Syria is nothing short of amazing. ISIS is for all intents and purposes done. They were chased out of their stronghold of Raqqa in Syria & chased all the way out of Syria onto the Iraq border. In Iraq, ISIS was defeated and chased out of their stronghold of Mosul and pushed all the way to the Syrian border. That's essentially where ISIS is as we speak, surrounded on the border between Syria & Iraq. They're toast.

Now that the militarism is wrapping up the bigger question of nation building looms. Trump has said he doesn't intend to be the policeman of the world and that we need to reduce our military footprint. Still, Bush built the single largest forward attack base on the planet in Iraq and labelled it an "embassy". We will not abandon the "embassy" because it's where we launch all of our air & drone strikes in the Middle East from. If we could finish off ISIS & leave JUST the "embassy", while handing over control to Iraq, I'd be very happy with that compromise.

In Syria, I believe we will leave & allow the Syrians to their own devices as we should have from the start. Many will shriek that Russia wins the proxy war, but we are not invited to be in Syria, Russia is.
As much as ISIS has been made a boogeyman. We need to understand that, ISIS isn't simply an organic outcome of radical Muslims in a destabilized Iraq/Syria. ISIS was actually created by very intelligent people, and for a while was very very well-funded.

Who was funding ISIS? Why were they funding ISIS? Why are they no longer funding ISIS?

Old 09-14-2017, 03:44 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,961,090 times
PNAC is in full force
Trump is following it to the letter

What is happening now was planned for years ago.

Recalls Bush's axis of evil speech

Iraq, Iran and North Korea

You can bet that Iran will be next.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am greatly concerned that both of my Democratic Senators voted against the debate. This country desperately needs to consider alternatives to wasting our money on these foolish attempts to "install American Values" in the Middle East.
It sure is funny how the state propagates their agenda

The welfare budget is broke
Social Security is broke
The Healthcare Budget is broke

But never have you ever heard the state say the [s]Defense[/s] Offense budget is broke

We always have tons of money for the Military Industrial Complex and Globalists Ambitions

Old 09-14-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If voters keep voting to keep them in office, then those voters really are also voting for their best interests, which is more war.
Corporate Campaign Contributions voted them in
A cursory glance at who many of these politicians are reveals them to be revolving door corporate insiders

Old 09-14-2017, 10:10 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
looks like some dems joined them.. scan 8 of them. we need to find a way to force these people to end this wars, they are getting us nowhere and costing far too many lives.

i get the argument that afghanistan is really about policing pakistan and concerns over nukes. but the endless deaths are well....endless.
I may start voting more democrat. Getting us out of the Middle East is my biggest concern, the right doesn't believe in this. All I need to do is find another Lawrence Patton McDonald and I'll be set.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
My two Democratic senators both voted no. But it is disappointing that nine Democrats voted yes.
lol I wish I could be as disappointed as you. If the right voted that way I'd be ecstatic.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Well, at least it provides jobs in the military. A lot of young people need those jobs. And shareholders in the defense industries demand dividends. If that is wrong or immoral, then try to develop the willpower to stop voting once again for senators and congressmen who believe in continuing war in distant lands.
Bringing the troops home creates more jobs and even if it didn't no one would die because of America.
"Well, at least it provides jobs in the military." lol. who are you, the Grim Reaper?

Old 09-14-2017, 10:30 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I'm shocked.

They essentially voted "YES" to:

"Let's NOT do our job".
That's not exactly what happened here.

The Senate's job is indeed to debate things, but they do have a process of deciding what they will spend their time debating. This makes sense. Not every bill, for better or worse, can be taken seriously.

However, the Senate should prioritize based on what their constituents feel is important. The Senate is allowed to be a little detached from the common folk (House of Representatives would, realistically, be closer to being the "voice of the people"), but there's a limit. Surely, enough people feel this issue is important enough to debate.

Alas, they voted no. And who voted no is important. 13 out of 46 Democrats said no, while 48 out of 52 Republicans voted no. This is... telling. One must consider why the partisan divide on this is so instance. I mean, in fairness, partisanship is getting more and more problematic, but even so, results like this should tell you something.

It's not about laziness. It's about something else. The Republicans in the Senate obviously don't want to risk this debate not going their way... what might that look like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies