Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 06:27 AM

27,219 posts, read 46,804,175 times

Advertisements

The people of Texas and Florida had to deal with two major issues to decide to stay or leave!

One huge decision is to evacuate and leave everything or most items behind and go elsewhere and hope that on your road to a safe place you will be able to get gas and a place to stay as thousands others will try to do the same.

Others will stay as their major reason for not leaving a mandatory evacuation place is that they are afraid that looters will take everything they have.

One of my employees stayed after mandatory evacuation for that area was announced. The cops went to her house and told them to get out or be in their own and they told the cops that either Irma will take it or looters and they will take the risk.

After the storm they have no damage, power on and still have their stuff.

It is very sad that looters are now causing people in harms way to be more scared of looeters than a Hurricane and due to looters many risk their lives.

We should have sentences for looters be way more than currently is possible to implement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 07:00 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,121,152 times
Aren't there already MULTIPLE threads specifically about looters after hurricanes and natural disasters? You just felt like creating another one?

Old 09-12-2017, 07:20 AM

24,547 posts, read 17,297,674 times
There is no doubt this one will get merged with another like mine did but I will try and respond to the post.

It is a terrible situation that we find our society in. We have the haves and the have nots and then those who will leap on an opportunity to steal with no regard for the people they hurt.

Imagine the pain the owner of the shoe store felt when he battened down the hatches and left his store hoping the roof wouldn't come off in the storm. The roof stayed on but some idiots broke in to steal.

I think most of us could justify people stealing food if there was no other way but sneakers?

These losers have been raised with no moral compass or compassion for others and it is sad.
All we can hope is that Karma will come calling on them someday.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:46 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,601,402 times
I'm sorry if I sound unsympathetic, but there are two things I would fear under such circumstances, and only two:

Wind.

Rain.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:49 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,038,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
There is no doubt this one will get merged with another like mine did but I will try and respond to the post.

It is a terrible situation that we find our society in. We have the haves and the have nots and then those who will leap on an opportunity to steal with no regard for the people they hurt.

Imagine the pain the owner of the shoe store felt when he battened down the hatches and left his store hoping the roof wouldn't come off in the storm. The roof stayed on but some idiots broke in to steal.

I think most of us could justify people stealing food if there was no other way but sneakers?

These losers have been raised with no moral compass or compassion for others and it is sad.
All we can hope is that Karma will come calling on them someday.
Unfortunately, their karma will be sitting in prison and the rest of us will get to pay for their room and board.

I'm all for shooting them on sight. And yes, I'm serious. Fortunately, I live in a state where you can do that.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:29 AM

27,219 posts, read 46,804,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Unfortunately, their karma will be sitting in prison and the rest of us will get to pay for their room and board.

I'm all for shooting them on sight. And yes, I'm serious. Fortunately, I live in a state where you can do that.
Florida is stand your ground State but you have to be present to be able to do something.

Wouldn't it be better to make more harsh sentences and to have people with backgrounds with looting and thefts over the last 5 years, be handled like sex offenders and put in a separate place so innocent people don't have to fear their belongings to be taken by thugs!

Old 09-12-2017, 08:31 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,251,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The people of Texas and Florida had to deal with two major issues to decide to stay or leave!

One huge decision is to evacuate and leave everything or most items behind and go elsewhere and hope that on your road to a safe place you will be able to get gas and a place to stay as thousands others will try to do the same.

Others will stay as their major reason for not leaving a mandatory evacuation place is that they are afraid that looters will take everything they have.

One of my employees stayed after mandatory evacuation for that area was announced. The cops went to her house and told them to get out or be in their own and they told the cops that either Irma will take it or looters and they will take the risk.

After the storm they have no damage, power on and still have their stuff.

It is very sad that looters are now causing people in harms way to be more scared of looeters than a Hurricane and due to looters many risk their lives.

We should have sentences for looters be way more than currently is possible to implement.
Looters should be shot on sight.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:14 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,144,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Aren't there already MULTIPLE threads specifically about looters after hurricanes and natural disasters? You just felt like creating another one?
Some people like to exploit and politicize every tragedy.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:40 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,812,132 times
Looting is as old as mankind.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looting

Neighbors and local governments routinely looted the businesses and homes of the local Jewish populations during the holocaust, throughout Europe.

Most homeowners and businesses insure their stuff, now days. Most insurance companies provide apps to allow their insured clients to take inventories and pictures of their stuff which expedites the claims process should the stuff become damaged, destroyed or go missing.

Most claimants have a tendency to overstate the value of their stuff. Insurance fraud is massive.

Many people who would never consider looting have no issue with defrauding an insurance company.

No shortage of people who use fear of being looted as the rational for failure to comply with evacuation orders.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,846,981 times
Why in Hell would anyone risk being caught looting when, if Texas is an example, they can wait a few days and go around with a dump truck and pick up anything they want? Besides junk is junk.

Like another poster said I would only be worrying about WIND and WATER. Keeping me, my family and my neighbors safe from injury or death. Besides all the stuff in a store is covered by flood insurance so why get all fussed over a few looters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies