Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 01:43 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,184,153 times

Advertisements

You are mistaking ghetto rap culture from black culture. Sadly, unless you have some black friends and colleagues, the only exposure you get to black people are the poor and the glorified gangsters

My black friends are middle to upper middle-class people. The only difference from me is that we listen to different music because I'm an old punk who disdains Top 40, the colors that we can wear in clothing and look attractive, and a bt of different spicy racial humor. I can laugh at, or tell, a back joke to my friends, and they are never shy with funny comebacks.

I also don't like collard greens and my black friends don't like my scary house on Halloween.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:44 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,297,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Sure it was.

As you wish. When you actually have something besides whining, feel free to come back and do a little better.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:44 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,628,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Agreed. You could argue that black culture is "normal" and white people are super uptight puritanical workaholics and the only reason they get to have the "right" culture is because they are the majority. But that is reality and instead of calling everyone a racist perhaps it might be better to be honest about differences in the culture. I am a proponent of this with women vrs men too.

I know two black people who succeeded very far in life but both just do not have the "work ethic" that white people tend to be born with or learn via environment. That doesn't necessarily mean that they are wrong or anything but, white people tend to look at them and see a lazy person. That is because that same person in white culture would be lazy. There is no way for a white person to let them in on this and when the world seems to think they are lazy they can only presume racism.

It makes me irrationally annoyed now to see a black person committing crimes. Only because if they just turned to the dark side (white culture), thanks to affirmative action and general society norms, they could have the keys to a bright future. If they would only do it "our way".

I see it with police officers as well. I don't think black culture really understands police culture and it has lead to some major tragedies. Police culture says, you do what I say when I say... immediately or I will shoot you. Ok not right but all white people seem to get this. They don't diddle around, they don't ignore a first command.. they do what the officer says and figure the court will sort it out. But too many black people just cannot or will not succumb to "white culture" and act accordingly. This has of course made police over reactive and made for some stunning tragedy when there were black people who did act accordingly.

I truly think society wants us divided and continues to ignore the differences between the groups at a higher level thus everyone is confused and no one can be honest.
Yet police are shooting white people at a far greater rate!

Old 09-17-2017, 01:45 PM

34,339 posts, read 18,725,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Because I can like black people but admit to not liking the dominant black culture? Or something specific I said that you see as being in error?
I am not sure if what we are exposed to in the media, etc is dominant black culture, or just what is predominantly shown to us. I admit, I don't get the predominantly shown black culture, nor do I agree with the seemingly questionable actions, and priorities. However, all we see for the most part are entertainers, athletes, criminals, welfare mothers, drug dealers, gang bangers, and more criminals. Rarely, are the hard working, honest, educated, blacks portrayed. You know the ones with the same values, of family, education, hard work, honesty, law abiding, etc.

I will agree that the MEDIA portrayed black culture, and what many perceive as black culture are not something I admire. No, I do not think you are a racist, but all the libs will shout RACIST at you, so.......ignore them. That is what they deserve.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:48 PM

7,264 posts, read 4,598,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Well there are some dumb white people.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:48 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,297,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
You are mistaking ghetto rap culture from black culture. Sadly, unless you have some black friends and colleagues, the only exposure you get to black people are the poor and the glorified gangsters

My black friends are middle to upper middle-class people. The only difference from me is that we listen to different music because I'm an old punk who disdains Top 40, the colors that we can wear in clothing and look attractive, and a bt of different spicy racial humor. I can laugh at, or tell, a back joke to my friends, and they are never shy with funny comebacks.

I also don't like collard greens and my black friends don't like my scary house on Halloween.

Ive made a point of distinguishing between successful blacks and ghetto blacks. My point is not to label all black culture as ghetto, but to argue that a dislike for the obvious ghetto culture is often taken as racism, when in fact it is a legit rejection of a broken culture that is widespread in black society.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:49 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,618,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I am not sure if what we are exposed to in the media, etc is dominant black culture, or just what is predominantly shown to us. I admit, I don't get the predominantly shown black culture, nor do I agree with the seemingly questionable actions, and priorities. However, all we see for the most part are entertainers, athletes, criminals, welfare mothers, drug dealers, gang bangers, and more criminals. Rarely, are the hard working, honest, educated, blacks portrayed. You know the ones with the same values, of family, education, hard work, honesty, law abiding, etc.

I will agree that the MEDIA portrayed black culture, and what many perceive as black culture are not something I admire. No, I do not think you are a racist, but all the libs will shout RACIST at you, so.......ignore them. That is what they deserve.
Well, that's a sad finish after a promising start.

Assuming that the stereotypes are the norm is the very definition of racism.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:49 PM

34,339 posts, read 18,725,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
True. Blacks only make up about 13% of the U.S. population.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:50 PM

34,206 posts, read 17,283,332 times
Peoples behavior mirrors their economic level, more than their demographic level.

I go through an inner city, vast majority black, dysfunctionally poor neighborhood for a few minutes en route to work. Would not stay an hour on a dare.

My Tn just above middle class suburban neighborhood had folks of many races, including black, and the entire area was functional, working, and ultra safe.

We do have generation after generation existing in the formal cycle. Moynihan's premise-Defining Deviency Down-accurate.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:50 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,618,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Well there are some dumb white people.
As this forum proves, with depressing regularity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies