Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 11:08 AM

30,649 posts, read 18,249,084 times

Advertisements

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ees/711745001/

Quote:
The Supreme Court agreed Thursday to hear a challenge to the so-called "fair share" fees public employee unions collect from non-members, posing a major threat to organized labor.

Unlike the past three times the court has considered similar cases, its five-member conservative majority appears poised to rule that workers opposed to union representation cannot be forced to pay for collective bargaining and other benefits.

The new case comes from Illinois and raises the same issues as a California case on which the court deadlocked, 4-4, following the death of conservative Justice Antonin Scalia in 2016.
As the article notes, last time Supreme Court heard the case, it deadlocked 4-4 following Justice Scalia's death. THIS and similar reasons are the main reason why I was proud to support Donald J. Trump for president. If Dems had more respect for the constitution instead of appointing radical leftists who rule on emotion rather than on what the law requires (key example, the travel ban rulings, which defied Supreme Court precedent and which were almost all smacked down/stayed by the Supreme Court), they would not be so objectionable to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 11:14 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
Union dues should not be mandatory period, rather optional. The concept of a union to me is not some democrat voting third party that negociates on my behalf, but rather employees grouping together and negotiating or striking of their own accord. It doesn't take union dues for employees to gather on break and talk about their crap pay or whatever.

The union the grocery store I worked at as a teen had no problem starting me at minimum wage. It was worthless.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:16 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,952,048 times
The unions should have to compete for members by proving that they provide value. Besides, with the exception of some of the dangerous public sector jobs (police in particular) the whole concept of public sector unions is questionable since they already have representation in the form of the democrat party.

Incidentally, are union dues tax deductible? If so, they shouldn't be.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:51 AM

30,649 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Agree on both points. Unions should have to prove themselves if they want to secure dues paying members. I don't know how mandatory public sector union dues ever withstood the Constitution as its a clear First Amendment violation to me.

Note, while my views on the constitutionality of such dues would remain the same, I'd perhaps be more sympathetic to unions if they weren't overwhelming extensions of the democrat party.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:33 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,675,028 times
None Union memebers are benefiting from the Union negotiations then they should pay dues.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:38 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
None Union memebers are benefiting from the Union negotiations then they should pay dues.
BS. When I would present my case for a raise to my boss and receive it, the other people with titles and responsibilities like mine didn't automatically get the raise. Let the union negotiate for those that CHOOSE to be members.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:48 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
public sector unions should be outlawed period. even FDR hated them.

private sector unions are fine if they can get the support.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:13 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,627,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
BS. When I would present my case for a raise to my boss and receive it, the other people with titles and responsibilities like mine didn't automatically get the raise. Let the union negotiate for those that CHOOSE to be members.

I agree if you do not join the union you should not receive the benefits

Old 09-28-2017, 03:45 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Union dues should not be mandatory period, rather optional. The concept of a union to me is not some democrat voting third party that negociates on my behalf, but rather employees grouping together and negotiating or striking of their own accord. It doesn't take union dues for employees to gather on break and talk about their crap pay or whatever.

The union the grocery store I worked at as a teen had no problem starting me at minimum wage. It was worthless.
After paying your Dues, you earned less than Minimum Wage.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:53 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,675,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Unions very rarely represent management.

How unions help all workers | Economic Policy Institute

UWUA AFL-CIO | Home

https://www.unionplus.org/page/benef...ion-membership
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies