Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2017, 12:28 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,689,841 times

Advertisements

The last 5 episodes are now available for streaming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 01:24 PM

10,835 posts, read 14,950,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
How embarrassing it must be for the most powerful military power to lose the war to some rice eating little hut people!
The Vietnamese knew what they were fighting for -- independence from foreign invaders. What was the US fighting for in a tiny foreign country thousands of miles away again? Oh, oh yeah to stop communism, protect democracy, etc. so that Americans can sleep at night.
We never, not once, lost a single battle. Every time it was a head to head their side lost.

We didn't lose the war we just folded up and left. We quit but we didn't lose.

Did we really lose the war? The Soviet Union no longer exists, China is every bit at capitalist as we are, and maybe more so and the entire area of southeast Asia is at peace with little in the way of war. So did we lose? If we lost what is winning?

Old 09-24-2017, 02:11 PM

33,582 posts, read 18,199,670 times
The propaganda against our soldiers and the infiltration of communists in our colleges defeated the Americans. It was fought not only in Vietnam but over here. The communists can easily find many to go against war, even our American soldiers.

The difference is that Americans are easily persuaded to be anti-American .

Today we have communists working overtime to win over Americans to hate this country using every social issue to divide and conquer us.

Either you support those in battle or shut your pie hole. They fought valiantly for our freedom as they did to defeat Hitler.

Ir we did this to the American soldiers who fought Hitler we would be all speaking German under a dictator.

People better check themselves if they really support this country. Or do you indirectly support communism without knowing it.

Old 09-24-2017, 02:37 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,689,841 times
Question

Where did Burns find these combat footage? How was it possible for cameraman to shoot footage amidst heavy assault fire? It was mentioned that 200 observers, be it journalists or documentarians, were either killed or went missing during conflict.

Old 09-24-2017, 02:43 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,700,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Question

Where did Burns find these combat footage? How was it possible for cameraman to shoot footage amidst heavy assault fire? It was mentioned that 200 observers, be it journalists or documentarians, were either killed or went missing during conflict.
Most of the combat footage has been on youtube for years. I have not seen much new footage in his documentary. It is true that many reporters lost their lives in Vietnam. It was the risk they took when they went in the bush with the US troops. I have seen other documentaries by the guy who was at La Drang valley (forgive the spelling) who helped with the wounded. There is actually another 10 hour series of the Vietnam war which has been on Discovery channel and youtube for years, and countless others, which all agree with what Burns if telling in his documentary. There are also many others made by the US military, which are also in line with Burns story. Just go to YouTube and search for Vietnam War and you'll find hundreds of them.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 09-24-2017 at 02:59 PM..

Old 09-24-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Question

Every day there was news on the Vietnam war in the battle fields. They listed the casualties each night and footage of soldiers. There must be many reels of footage.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:03 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,438,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Most of the combat footage has been on youtube for years. I have not seen much new footage in his documentary. It is true that many reporters lost their lives in Vietnam. It was the risk they took when they went into the bush go in the bush with the US troops. I have seen other documentaries by the guy who was at La Drang valley (forgive the spelling) who helped with the wounded. There is actually another 10 hour series of the Vietnam war which has been on Discovery channel and youtube for years, and countless others, which all agree with what Burns if telling in his documentary. There are also many others made by the US military, which are also in line with Burns story. Just go to YouTube and search for Vietnam War and you'll find hundreds of them.
And then there are the troops themselves.

My cousin was in Vietnam. He has a suitcase full of pictures and video that he himself took. No one, besides a few of us, has seen the contents of that suitcase. He has left in his will instructions on what to do with all of it.

Having seen it all I truly hope I am not one of the named that gets to carry out his wishes. I don't ever want to view any of it again.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:07 PM

57,380 posts, read 26,294,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
We never, not once, lost a single battle. Every time it was a head to head their side lost.

We didn't lose the war we just folded up and left. We quit but we didn't lose.

Did we really lose the war? The Soviet Union no longer exists, China is every bit at capitalist as we are, and maybe more so and the entire area of southeast Asia is at peace with little in the way of war. So did we lose? If we lost what is winning?
I don't see how you can call our departure anything else but a defeat at that time, that is not to discredit the baravery of soldiers who fought there. How do you win a war with draftees that rotate after a year or with all the ground rules. We never entered this war to win, it was the attrition that ended the war.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:07 PM

29,555 posts, read 9,753,918 times
Need to sign off again now, later than usual today, but I wanted to add one more lesson learned, or was it?

I mentioned before that I watched episode 2 last night (catching up). Wish I could remember the verbatim about how the monk who lit himself on fire became a martyr, and essentially how when people are pushed to the point of such dramatic protest, they fuel the very revolt the opposing leaders are trying to put down. Doing more for their cause than "all the kings soldiers and all the kings men" can do for theirs.

We see now the same sort of dynamic taking place, first with Kaepernick who's protest was but a whisper, but now that Trump has decided to weigh in, Kaepernick's cause has taken fire, leading to far more sympathizers, controversy, anger and attention of course!

See how a leader can make decisions leading to people's uprisings, that right or wrong, would never become the flash point they become if better leadership were at the helm?

There is so much to learn from these lessons in history, and yet..., to learn from them often requires we know better in the first place. All too often it seems that sort of intelligence just can't be taught! And years from now some will be arguing there was no choice but to shoot the protesters that eventually got out of hand...

Old 09-24-2017, 03:12 PM

I had close family in Vietnam and some wounded. It was a disgusting time for the propaganda that called our soldiers "BABY KILLERS" .. The communists were leading many to hate our soldiers. This I will NEVER FORGET. The sacrifice of friends who I knew and died is a reality to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies