Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2017, 05:56 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 2 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,600,682 times

Advertisements

Why should America have an identity at all? Sounds to me like "having an identity" opens the door to the anti-individualistic conformist "be like the mainstream or be dissed" kind of social climate that so many people struggled to get the hell away from - even to this day (i.e. escape small town and suburban conformity to get to the cities or other artsy-bohemian areas, for example).

Besides, America was founded on an ideology, not a bloodline. That's the difference between this country and Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 05:58 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
America has always been multi-cultural. [snip]

It is the height of hypocrisy.....to take pride in one's own immigrant ancestors for "working hard and adapting to a different nation and way of life" while at the same time trying to deny a different group of immigrants the same opportunities to achieve the same outcome.
The future impacts of illegal and Muslim immigrants to America are much like global warming predictions in a way. Only time will tell if the predicted problems are valid and both will be irreversible if there is a negative impact.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 09-21-2017 at 06:12 PM..

Old 09-21-2017, 06:24 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Wanted to comment on your meme:

Nobody holds power over anyone else under anarcho-capitalism. It's impossible since there is no social contract.

But while we're at it...what are your thoughts on the movement of people?
Incorrect in ancapistan the bosses and the wealthy would reign like gods with no checks on there power. Ancaps would have us living in chains.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:30 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Yes, some immigrants will work for lower wages, but when has that not been the case? Unions solved the problem once, so perhaps Americans will have to fight for themselves again to be paid more.

But protectionism and attempting to suppress the competition because they are smarter and more industrious is really not supposed to be the American way.
In many cases, they are not better but less experienced and merely cheaper. It was less of a problem before NAFTA to answer your question. Also, a case such as Disney firing a slew of IT employees and forcing them to train cheaper immigrants for their own jobs - if this is the now the American way it is shameful.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:33 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Why should America have an identity at all? Sounds to me like "having an identity" opens the door to the anti-individualistic conformist "be like the mainstream or be dissed" kind of social climate that so many people struggled to get the hell away from - even to this day (i.e. escape small town and suburban conformity to get to the cities or other artsy-bohemian areas, for example).

Besides, America was founded on an ideology, not a bloodline. That's the difference between this country and Europe.
American does have an identity whether you like the concept or not. Every country in the world has an identifying culture. How is that a bad thing? That doesn't take away from individualism. It's like being a member of a group that doesn't take away from you being an individual. Who's talking about bloodlines? This is about our culture not bloodlines.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Without immigrants to blame the far right would eat itself.

Oh stop with this BS! We object to illegal aliens not immigrants. Who's blaming "immigrants" for anything? Legal immigrants should still come in reasonable numbers so that they assimilate and that we can accommodate in jobs and resources without it negatively impacting our own citizens. Sounds like a sane policy to me.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:47 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
American does have an identity whether you like the concept or not. Every country in the world has an identifying culture. How is that a bad thing? That doesn't take away from individualism. It's like being a member of a group that doesn't take away from you being an individual. Who's talking about bloodlines? This is about our culture not bloodlines.
But there really isn't one single culture that America ascribes to. There is nothing in our Constitution or in our other founding documents that states America is mono-cultural or mono-religious or defines what culture we should practice.

So, not much guidance there.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
But there really isn't one single culture that America ascribes to. There is nothing in our Constitution or in our other founding documents that I know of that says America is mono-cultural or mono-religious. There is nothing that states what culture we should practice.

So, not much guidance there.

Is English our national de facto language? Are we known to be a Hispanic, Asian, etc. nation in identity? There lays your answer. It's not about what our Constitution says or doesn't say. It is what it is naturally and has been since the founding of our nation. We are also known as a Christian nation for the most part and there is nothing in our Constitution that says we can't be. Doesn't negate the fact that there are minority cultures, languages and religions that are practiced here. They just aren't our identifying ones.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:11 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That makes you someone with a hypocritical mentality.
If as an immigrant I said that immigration was wrong, then I would be a hypocrite. I don't say this.

Immigration can be a very good thing for all parties involved, but it requires a rational process with limits and enforcement.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:21 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
I'm sure some Japanese don't want you there, doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to immigrate to Japan.
No one has an inherent right to immigrate to Japan or anywhere else. I am able to live legally in Japan as a non-citizen simply because I have qualified to do so under the process devised by the Japanese government.
Quote:
Why do you think you deserve the privilege of immigrating but others don't.
I have a visa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies