Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 11:45 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,549,566 times

Advertisements

It appears that psychopaths can be identified to some degree by their musical preferences - and they like rap. The least popular is music like "My Sharona" and Sia’s Titanium, which sounds like mainstream pop to me.

From the UK Guardian:

Quote:
Playlist of the Lambs: psychopaths may have distinct musical preferences

Those with highest psychopath scores were among the greatest fans of Blackstreet hit No Diggity, with Eminem’s Lose Yourself also rated highly. Contrary to the movie trope epitomised by Alex in The Clockwork Orange and Hannibal Lecter in the Silence of the Lambs, psychopaths are no fonder of classical music than anyone else, though they do appear to have other musical preferences, psychologists say.

In a study of 200 people who listened to 260 songs, those with the highest psychopath scores were among the greatest fans of the Blackstreet number one hit No Diggity, with Eminem’s Lose Yourself rated highly too. The New York University team behind the work stress that the results are preliminary and unpublished, but the scientists are sufficiently intrigued to launch a major study in which thousands of people across the psychopathy spectrum will be quizzed on their musical tastes.

Tests on a second group of volunteers suggest the songs could help to predict the disorder. Whatever their other personality traits might be, fans of The Knack’s My Sharona and Sia’s Titanium were among the least psychopathic, the study found.

{more at the link}
The study puts to bed Hollywood myths such as psychopath's preference for classical music, as was seen in "Silence of the Lambs," and also a preference for mainstream pop, as was portrayed in "American Psycho".

Scientists may be on the verge of being able to identify people who are likely to be psychopaths based on their musical tastes and it appears that if you like rap music, you are more likely to be a psychopath than the general population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 11:49 AM

7,448 posts, read 2,843,825 times
With a sample size of 200, it would need to be repeated several times to truly begin drawing viable conclusions (a population of 200 would likely only have a handful of true psychopaths based on demographic %), it is an interesting idea for a study though.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:46 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,917,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post

Scientists may be on the verge of being able to identify people who are likely to be psychopaths based on their musical tastes and it appears that if you like rap music, you are more likely to be a psychopath than the general population.
thankfully real scientists understand correlation and causation so i wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:20 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,608,598 times
Lovely. So, the ultimate goal is to diagnose people they have never met as psychopaths by looking at their online playlists?

That raises enough ethical questions to make me wonder what kind of music the folks doing the research listen to, themselves.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:29 PM

2,017 posts, read 1,656,474 times
rap is music???

Old 09-26-2017, 01:38 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,549,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
rap is music???
An interesting question that these scientists would be wise to evaluate and take serious consideration of for the purposes of conducting their larger study.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:41 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,510,656 times
What did psychopaths listen to before rap?

Old 09-26-2017, 01:42 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,854,497 times
So psychopaths are like the rest of the majority of the world and enjoy rap music...yeah that's really insightful lol.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:43 PM

5,079 posts, read 2,293,444 times
They're basing this on songs, not an entire genre? I like 'Lose Yourself', and think 'Thriftshop' is one of the best songs going, but I really, really dislike rap. I don't see those songs as typical of rap music, so I'm not sure how valid this study would be, even with higher numbers.

To me, the crazies are the ones who like today's pop music. Ugh.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:44 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,145,921 times
It says psychopaths prefer rap over classical and jazz, doesn't mention other types of music, especially 80's music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzN3qO-qc8U
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies