Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 12:03 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,800,783 times

Advertisements

From your link from the translator on my computer because I don't want to wake a friend who knows the korean language.
Quote:
Gangwon Province is reported to have been killed by a soldier in Cheolwon, guns are concerned about the incident is raising the voice of concern.

One media reported on July 26, "Soldiers belonging to Cheolwon Unesco soldiers were transferred to the hospital wearing a tofu in 4 pm, but they were destined."

The soldiers were reportedly reported to have been involved in an accident while returning to the unit after repairing the area along with their colleagues in accordance with the plan of the day, and details of the accident were not disclosed yet.

Cheorwon is an area adjacent to North Korea, but whether or not direct shootings are possible has not been clarified yet. Also, as shooting training is frequent, the possibility of a training accident can not be ruled out either.

But the netizens are raising the anxieties about the North Korean military's actions, saying, "It is not a simple accident," he said.
In addition, there is a reaction that "it is necessary to clarify the spelling truth" and "the fact that accidents are frequent in Cheorwon".
Key word that pops out to me is training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 12:12 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,902,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
From your link from the translator on my computer because I don't want to wake a friend who knows the korean language.

Key word that pops out to me is training.
It's been 9+ hours and nothing in the news. I'd guess some sort of training accident. If this was a border skirmish it should be in the news ny now.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:57 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,598,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Actually nothing new, the two sides had been trading bullets for decades, watched them have firefights from our GP's on many occasions.
I knew some guys who were stationed on that DMZ in the late 50s and they said it was not uncommon for the North Koreans to take random shots at them. But two things, they were forbidden to fire back and to let any knowledge of such incidents reach the media. The North Koreans had also dug tunnels that came up in the South and they carried out raids that damaged buildings and sometimes injured people, then they raced back through the tunnels to the North.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:16 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
If they aren't Americans, I don't care.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:25 AM

20,127 posts, read 16,173,562 times
If true, this is nothing new, just since 2010:
  • January 27, 2010: North Korea fired artillery shells into the water near Baengnyeong Island and South Korean vessels return fire.
  • March 26, 2010: A South Korean naval vessel, the ROKS Cheonan, was allegedly sunk by a North Korean torpedo near Baengnyeong Island in the Yellow Sea. A rescue operation recovered 58 survivors but 46 sailors were killed.
  • October 29, 2010: Two shots are fired from North Korea toward a South Korean post near Hwacheon and South Korean troops fire three shots in return.
  • November 23, 2010: North Korea fired artillery at South Korea's Greater Yeonpyeong island in the Yellow Sea and South Korea returned fire. Two South Korean marines and two South Korean civilians were killed, six were seriously wounded, and ten were treated for minor injuries. About seventy South Korean houses were destroyed. The number of North Korean casualties were unknown, but believed to be equal or greater than South Korea's total.
  • September 16, 2013: A 47-year-old man is shot dead by South Korean soldiers while trying to swim across the Tanpocheon Stream near Paju to North Korea.
  • February 26, 2014: South Korean defense officials claim that despite warnings a North Korean warship has repeatedly crossed into South Korean waters overnight.
  • March 24, 2014: A North Korean drone is found crashed near Paju. The onboard cameras contain pictures of the Blue House and military installations near the DMZ. Another North Korean drone crashes on Baengnyeongdo on March 31.
  • October 10, 2014: North Korean forces fire anti-aircraft rounds at propaganda balloons launched from Paju. South Korean military return fire after a warning.
  • October 19, 2014: A group of North Korean soldiers approach the South Korean border and South Korean soldiers fire warning shots. The North Korean soldiers return fire before retreating. No injuries or property damage.
  • August 4, 2015: Two South Korean soldiers were wounded after stepping on landmines that had allegedly been laid on the southern side of the DMZ by North Korean forces next to a ROK guard post. As a reaction to the landmines, South Korea resumed playing propaganda on loudspeakers near the border. In 2004 both sides had agreed to end their loudspeaker broadcasts at each other. North Korea threatened to attack those loudspeakers, and on August 20 North Korea fired a rocket and shells across the border. South Korea responded by firing artillery shells back at the origin of the rocket. There were no reports of injuries on either side. Following threats of war from the North, and various troops movements by both North and South Korea and the United States, an agreement was reached that North Korea would express sympathy for the landmine incident in return for South Korea deactivating the loudspeakers.
  • January 3, 2016: South Korean soldiers fired warning shots at a suspected North Korean drone near the DMZ.
I am frankly surprised there haven't been more incidents. We came very close to a renewal of outright hostilities 2015 as a result of those land mines. Note how afraid North Korea is of propaganda broadcasting, they know if their citizens lose their cult blinders and figure out how mistreated they are there will finally be a long overdue uprising.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:14 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I knew some guys who were stationed on that DMZ in the late 50s and they said it was not uncommon for the North Koreans to take random shots at them. But two things, they were forbidden to fire back and to let any knowledge of such incidents reach the media. The North Koreans had also dug tunnels that came up in the South and they carried out raids that damaged buildings and sometimes injured people, then they raced back through the tunnels to the North.
I was there in the early 70's, on the DMZ, and yes they still did the same things then and still do today. If shot at we were allowed to fire back and did and yes not much of it ever made any news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies