Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2017, 03:11 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You know, Andrew Carnegie was a rich person I respect. He gave away 90%+ of his money before he died, and called for other wealthy people to do the same, rather than leaving it to his kids like John Lennon or Conrad Hilton did!
John Lennon left his money to Yoko. He had a fear of ending up like Elvis, being broke and having to play Las Vegas. Yoko is financially savvy -- I think her father was a wealthy banker -- so she handled all of the investments and made them both very rich. So she deserves the money. She is also very charitable from what I've heard. Sean will likely get it after she dies. Yoko is in her 80s and in a wheelchair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 03:12 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
I think there is a wee bit of confusion.

The left doesn't object to paying tax or tax cuts. The left objects to years and years and years and years of the rich telling us they pay way too much tax. While they dodge taxes. Trump has bragged zero taxes and there are those who still want to cut the taxes to the rich. That makes no sense.

That's my objection.

I say strip the tax code. Base tax rate -- federal...states have to do what they do and we should not have to pay tax on the money we pay to states or municipalities for public services (property taxes).

That's my lefty version of tax reform.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:13 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
The estate tax makes NO SENSE AT ALL.
Income tax, estate tax and property tax, neither makes sense at all.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:13 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Ok, so it's also your business that rich people shortchange the FEDERAL government of all the money they get to keep from their tax loopholes, right? So you should be for the estate tax too?

Weird hypocrisy. Sure, you want to punish greedy out of control spending states? You should also want to punish greedy out of control tax-avoiding people - anything can be spun as "unfair" just because you don't approve of it. I don't approve of a lot of things... I'm not going to start double taxing people as some sort of punishment.
This is why people need to educate themselves on the tax code. (all 82,000 pages lol). Otherwise it's too easy to feed the masses lies and spin. By the way, it's smart to learn how to keep more of the money you earn, shouldn't you? Or do you prefer to give your money away? Or is it you hope to be on the receiving end of the bare bones they throw your way?... HOPE & CHANGE LOL

Old 09-27-2017, 03:14 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Big deduction? How much of a deduction?
Child care credits, oh I don't qualify for that ability to reduce my taxable income, so it's fair that you have children and get a tax credit why?

I thought you liberals like to ... I mean want to pay higher taxes. After all, that's all we heard during the Obama era.
I am not a liberal. I already said I do not qualify for child care credits. My real estate deduction is over 20,000. That is a big deduction for us.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:14 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
The tax plan right now is vague enough that we shouldn't feel too strongly either way about it. But once we get into the nitty gritty -- I am counting on seeing Trump in front fighting for his policies. He is willing to take a back seat to the health care and put the blame on others when it won't pass...he can't do this with tax reform. And I will give him a pass with the health care -- it is complicated. He was naive to think the Republicans had a complete solution that was ready to go. Lesson learned by a new administration.

But this tax reform is HIS idea. He better have all the details worked out and be able to defend his policies.

We shall see.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

The left doesn't object to paying tax or tax cuts. The left objects to years and years and years and years of the rich telling us they pay way too much tax. While they dodge taxes. Trump has bragged zero taxes and there are those who still want to cut the taxes to the rich. That makes no sense.

That's my objection.

I say strip the tax code. Base tax rate -- federal...states have to do what they do and we should not have to pay tax on the money we pay to states or municipalities for public services (property taxes).

I saved this from InformedConsent in case crap like this comes up:

From InformedConsent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's a myth. The IRS actually publishes data on this, including specifically for the top 400 tax filers, which is the top 0.000287%.

The average effective federal income tax rate paid by the top 400 tax filers: 23.13%

Page 13: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/14intop400.pdf

Compare that to:

Latest IRS published average effective federal income tax rate, by income level:

Top 0.1%: 27.67%
Top 1%: 27.16%
Top 1-5%: 23.61%
Top 5-10%: 13.73%
Top 10-25%: 10.73%
Top 25-50%: 7.48%%
Bottom 50%: 3.45%

https://www.irs.gov/statistics/soi-t...omplete-report

This is why it's so incredibly frustrating that so many people believe the left's and MSM's manipulative lies. We would all be SO much better off if more people could actually think for themselves and verify what they're being told instead of just believing what a Dem politician or the MSM tells them.

There's already a 39.6% tax bracket for income over $418,400.

However, marginal and effective tax rates are different due to the effects of the tax brackets on income before each higher cutoff is reached.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:16 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
LOL, so you think everyone should give their money away while you did what to deserve getting a piece of it?
I didn't ask for it, but I absolutely loath people like Sean Lennon and Paris Hilton who just get to sail through life based on the accomplishments of their parents or grandparents rather than on their own merits

Old 09-27-2017, 03:17 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

That's my objection.

Who chooses to educate themselves by consulting with tax professionals and who educates themselves by listening to politicians and the media with an agenda of funneling more of your money to the government. Which of the two do you think will keep more of their money?

It doesn't make sense to you because you're listening to the wrong people. Do you really think Hillary, or anyone (left or right) with an ounce of brains isn't going to use the tax code to keep more of their money.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I didn't ask for it, but I absolutely loath people like Sean Lennon and Paris Hilton who just get to sail through life based on the accomplishments of their parents or grandparents rather than on their own merits
What did they ever do to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies