Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 09:03 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,838,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
And the NAP isn't a social contract. If you are attacked with a knife you have the right not to defend yourself. I'm just saying I would and I believe I have a right to do so.

If you're saying I don't have the right to defend myself then I'm your slave.

Am I your slave?
NAP is a concept. The agreement of the individuals in a society at large that it is valid and that they will adhere to it is a social contract. If we are in an anarchy and I can consolidate more total power than you can, you might very well end up my slave, should I deem it worth the effort to exercise my superior power to enslave you. I am not saying you wouldn't have the right to try to defend yourself, I am saying if you are outgunned you would not have the power. At that point your only option is to seek out a power stronger than yourself(or die fighting or become a slave), and 2 can play at that game. Now you have factions in a power arms race, which will accumulate power until they become defacto states.

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 10-01-2017 at 09:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 09:17 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,359,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
NAP is a concept. The agreement of the individuals in a society at large that it is valid and that they will adhere to it is a social contract. If we are in an anarchy and I can consolidate more total power than you can, you might very well end up my slave, should I deem it worth the effort to exercise my superior power to enslave you. I am not saying you wouldn't have the right to try to defend yourself, I am saying if you are outgunned you would not have the power. At that point your only option is to seek out a power stronger than yourself(or die fighting or become a slave), and 2 can play at that game. Now you have factions in a power arms race, which will accumulate power until they become defacto states.
What's your definition of a state?

Old 10-01-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
What's your definition of a state?
Heh that's a he'll of a rabbit hole so a full answer will have to wait because I have a flight @ 530 am and an hour drive to the airport. I would summarise it is a social organisation that consolidates the power of society and also defines/enforces the rules of said society. Note that none of that garauntees that it will be moral or just, it is more of just an inevitability of human social organisation that power will consolidate for the reasons I laid out earlier. We are social animals, given a void of organized social power, the power will eventually be filled for better or for worse.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:40 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,267,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Moore ought to advocate banning masturbation while he's at it, since he believes all the bible is true. Fornication and adultery, too.
I'm waiting until he goes after the gossiper's.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:42 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,391,106 times
Quote:
No. The NAP is not a social contract. You're confusing the application of social interactions with the natural or default setting of a human being (which is anarchy).

It exists whether people agree to it (only a few do like myself) or don't (nearly all folks are statists like yourself).

You have two groups:

1. The statist: Upon birth you enter into a social contract with whatever ruling government exerts force over your geographic area. All rights and privileges are ceded to the government at birth and then returned to the person as it sees fit. Since it is impossible to give consent at birth the social contract is a clear violation of the NAP.

2. The non-statist: Upon birth you do not enter into any agreements. As you age you have the right to live peacefully as long as you don't initiate force on others because that simultaneously ends their right to live without being violated. All agreements must be consensual meaning both parties are free from duress and have the cognitive ability to make said pacts.

The reason why anarchy...and by extension the NAP...is the default setting of a human being is because

1. A baby can't give consent.

2. If not, the default setting of a human being is that of a slave.

Now I kid you statists a lot about being slaves and loving slavery but I tend to think you don't believe that by virtue of being shot out of a vagina or by standing in a certain geographic area that consent to be governed is being given.

Watch my video!!!

Also, and here is why anarchy is logically and I would argue morally superior, the NAP is guaranteed to be broken under statism (at birth the social contract is bestowed upon the child) whereas while highly highly highly unlikely the NAP may never be broken in an anarchic society.

At the very least it isn't broken at birth.

This gets back to the one of the memes I posted the other day. Something along the lines of

Statism: the brilliant idea that you should give people the right to kill, steal, and oppress people who may kill, steal, and oppress you.

1. It's not only counterproductive but

2. It's not logically or morally possible. If you believe that you don't have the right to come to my house and kill me (assuming you don't) you also don't have the right to instruct someone to come to my house and kill me.

Watch the video!!!

It makes total sense. You can't create rights from individuals who don't have the same right if they were alone.

If you believe that I can't knock on your door and demand that you give me X% of your paycheck and you can't knock on my door and demand that I give you X% of my paycheck then both of us combined can't knock on Bill's door next door and demand X% of his paycheck.

As it stands now, both of us believe in the first two tenets in that scenario. I believe in the third but you don't.

You aren't being logically and I would argue morally consistent.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:45 PM

Sigh. I never said the NAP was a social contract, try again.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Sigh. I never said the NAP was a social contract, try again.
You said...

Quote:
The acknowledgement of the NAP is itself a social contract that requires some form of enforcement framework to be viable. Without enforceable consequences for violating the NAP, it too is mere words
You are wrong.

If exists between people whether they agree to it or not or if they acknowledge it or not.

It doesn't have to have enforceable consequences. It exists naturally. If you attack me I can let you kill me or kill you. Regardless of my choice I have the right to the self-defense option.

If you don't believe this then you believe in slavery at birth. That's fine if you think so. Well it isn't but if you'd like to admit it that's all I'm asking. Is that what you believe?

Old 10-01-2017, 10:17 PM

Yep I did not say the NAP was a social contract, read it again until you figure it out. I try to be careful with my wording for a reason.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Yep I did not say the NAP was a social contract, read it again until you figure it out.
Ok.

I'm glad we cleared it up.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:29 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,596,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It's unclear whether or not they got away with theft.

You'd have to ask me about other clauses in my contract though. I'm not going to feed this obsession on how I would run my life and outright tell you plus I want you to learn to think for yourself which is the whole purpose of this exercise (as well as that outstanding video I posted ).

Follow up?

P.S. Think about a solution that all of us already use under statism. Man, I'm a nice guy. Said I didn't want to feed the obsession yet I'm giving hints.

I don't think it is an obsession about how you would run your life as much as it is a request for information about the general thinking about how a non-statist society would work. You have presented an argument, yet you decline to defend it, and worse, you accuse anyone who questions you of not thinking for themselves.

Is it impossible for you to accept that the people asking these questions ARE thinking for themselves, and simply disagree with you? Defend your position, if it's so good!

Many legitimate questions have been asked here, and I don't see you being terribly willing to answer any of them. While I understand your (possibly a bit presumptuous) desire to educate us, so far, your methods are not proving to be very successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies