Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 05:53 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,061,280 times

Advertisements

How about getting rid of cable as a smart financial move? You accomplish your goal and put money in your pocket. No need for symbolism.

We get all The TV we want with OTA and monthly subscription with no contract. Only have that 5-6 months a year. Internet is still more expensive than I want, but it is my library, newsstand, mall and communication tool all in one.

Don't watch TV even a quarter as much as we use too and money in our pocket to do other more rewarding things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 06:07 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,780,039 times
I always finds threads like this funny and really at the core of whats wrong with America. It''s happening over on the various NFL threads too...I like, enjoy and want cable. You don't so don't have it but why are you so bent that others do? I like football too, you don't...so? I like peanut butter sandwiches but I won't damn you of you dont. Just don't eat it and move on.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:34 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,139,003 times
Sorry, but that seems unbelievably silly, punishing an unrelated company. Of course, it does echo, a little bit, the way Trump is trying to undermine public faith in that important and basic essential: Newspapers.

I admit that cable companies are mostly pretty scummy, and I think it's all to the good if people give up cable because of the prices, or because of the narrow options - but that's different. No one is forcing you to watching anything you don't want. Late night comedy has always encompassed politics, so I don't think you're objecting on principle - more like you just don't want to hear Trump being (truthfully) insulted.

I'm saddened that you somehow imagine protests to be against struggling people like you. It's exactly the opposite. It's interesting that among the alternative activities you mention, such as hiking, you don't mention anything that involves learning, such as reading.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:35 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,646,935 times
OMG, so juvenile.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:41 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,728,178 times
We cut the cable at our office and turned in half our cable boxes and indeed our wallet is much happier and so are we!

Old 09-29-2017, 07:02 PM

14,767 posts, read 8,097,050 times
I got rid of Cable TV years ago...it's a Rip Off.
I never thought of it as a way to voice a Political Opinion though..I thought of it as a way to save money, since we don't watch a lot of television here.

I am what you would probably consider a Liberal.
(I am actually a Moderate, but by the Standards here, you would see that as a Liberal.)

Old 09-29-2017, 07:45 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,704,977 times
Can't change the channel? This kind of logic is the same as getting rid of all food because food is fattening. Other choices can be made. As a liberal, I'm absolutely fine with SNL, awards shows, etc. but my demographic is one most sought by advertisers. For those offended by such shows, alternatives are available.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:48 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,492,522 times
I'm voting this the dumbest thread of the week. I mean watching the emmy's was ever an event?

Old 09-29-2017, 08:43 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Thanks for the reminder that it's time for another digital sabbatical. October is a wonderful time to take a break from the media that pervades our daily lives. Why don't you join me?
Hell no, we won't go!

Quote:
As of midnight Saturday, pause your media consumption.

Quote:
Install the Chrome extension Stay Focused, and white list only those websites that are essential, like your bank and your email account.
No YouTube or Facebook...or piratebay??

Quote:
Or be truly radical and turn off your router, so you have no access to the internet at all. Unplug your TV and stash it out of the way in a closet. Hide the internet icon on your smartphone, or do what I did several years ago and get rid of the smartphone completely.

But I need my smartphone. I don't have any other!

Quote:
Now...Go to the library and load up on great books.
"um..." she asked trepidaciously, "can we get online there?"

Quote:
Make plans to spend time with friends.

But we have friends here!! There's Pedro, and Mpowering, and No_Recess and Catgirl, and Troutdude, and Finn, and Pilot, and Taratova and Redwood and...

Quote:
Attend a play.
Can we watch it on Youtube??

Quote:
Break out the hiking boots and spend the next four weekends in nature enjoying the turn of seasons.
"Um..." she asked pensively, "can't we just look at the pictures in the Nature subforum?"

Quote:
On your commute, tune the radio to classical music.
On Pandora?!

Quote:
At night, rather than vegging out in front of the internet or TV, make a great dinners for your family.
But my family disowned me!

Quote:
Stop procrastinating cleaning out the closet, the car, the basement, the oven. Make some progress on that to-do list. Go to bed early and get a good night's rest.
But I'm already out of the closet! And I keep my apartment clean! And I don't have a basement or a car! And if I go to bed too early, I'll wake up too early and be up all night!

Quote:
Seriously, take a much needed break from all of this nonsense. You'll improve your mental health, sleep better, and feel more optimistic about life in general.
But...

Old 09-29-2017, 08:48 PM

32,061 posts, read 15,046,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Thanks for politicizing everything. You have permanently lost a customer. Even though I dont have any sports or movies packages, I am still getting rid of basic cable because the award shows, late night comedy, sports events are turning into your political platform. You do not understand my middle class issues & your protests are against hardworking, struggling people like me.
Hope you have enough paying customers who agree with your hateful rhetoric. Award shows used to be huge event with my friends but they are quickly turning into heated political debates so thanks for taking that away from me. Going to hang out with friends at coffee shops, go for a hike, visit the farmers market....rather than watching tv or movies with them.

#MAHA - Make America Healthy Again .....get rid of your cable
Join a union and stop voting republican because they are all for the rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies