Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 07:31 AM

4,960 posts, read 2,237,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Right, after he speculated, he then said he didn’t want to. It was unprofessional, but I chalk that up to lack of sleep and the pressure of being in front of the camera every few hours, for probably the first time in his life.
I speculate there is tension between the Sheriff and FBI.

I'm not claiming conspiracy or anything. Tension between local and federal authorities is most likely common, but something seemed off in last night's briefing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 07:34 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I was responding to the poster that said that there were shots fired from another floor based on 'muzzle flash" seen on some video. That video shows flashes on a lowed floor window which were probably reflections from lights on the strip. The same flashes are still there hours later behind a reporter. The only windows broken out were the ones in the shooters suite. No one was firing from another floor as there were no other broken windows and the windows do not open in any of the rooms.

The flashes were there at 5 am behind a reporter. It wasn't replay of the shooting. It was reflections from lights on the strip. Unless the reporter was standing there talking into a mic during the shooting.

Sorry 'bout that ... I thought I was responding to a different poster. (Fingers type faster than brain allows.)

Old 10-05-2017, 07:35 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Ok, then what does this mean?

"To buy a fully automatic rifle, a prospective owner must pay the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms $200 and pass a federal background check that shows no record of domestic violence or felony convictions. The process can take months.

"Most people can buy machine guns in lots of states," Michigan-based lawyer and firearms expert Steven Howard has told PolitiFact. "But, and this is one of those classic big ‘buts,’ they have to get through a background check by FBI that is as thorough as if you are getting clearance to become a federal agent."

In other words, apparently people can still buy fully automatic rifles. I say, outlaw that.

The difference between automatic and semi-automatic weapons | PolitiFact
What it means is you have to have a class of FFL license that allows you to buy such a weapon. Let me ask you this, when was the last time you heard of ANY shooting being done by a LEGAL full auto weapon? I've not heard of any, you?

Old 10-05-2017, 07:45 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post

I'm not claiming conspiracy or anything. Tension between local and federal authorities is most likely common, but something seemed off in last night's briefing.
I looks as if the Sheriff may be going a little rogue.. Maybe he wants some information to be public while the FBI does not? Not sure if him going against the FBI is the right move but just stating what I think may be happening.
He may think the public has a right to know that there may be others out there that helped (and may do this again) and the FBI may want to keep that secret as to not alert the accomplices that they are onto them..

This whole thing has been very odd from the start. On top of being horribly tragic.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post

It could be that the Sheriff is becoming frustrated with the Feds tight lips. He's being bombarded by reporters asking the same questions over and over again, the public and families wanting to know what the heck happened and I'm sure he feels an obligation to the survivors as well.
We all know how Feds run things, they say little to nothing "Most times" until things are all fully wrapped up and even then don't tell the whole story unless forced to by lawsuits or FOIA action.

Even then they do their level best to bend things so THEY don't look bad and go redaction crazy with their black markers to make sure nobody sees the whole thing.

So yeah, I can see why the Sheriff could be getting frustrated...

Old 10-05-2017, 07:48 AM

They just reported on our local news that he'd also booked rooms overlooking the Lalapalooza festival in July. This event might just have been the unlucky pick out of several events...

Old 10-05-2017, 07:49 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
Tall buildings can be dangerous. Just look at Vegas and the WTC on 09/11. Trump must use his favorite action to prevent such future tragedies - all buildings over one story will now be BANNED. The thousands already built will have to be removed. It does not matter that only a few buildings have been involved in these mass killings. We need to rid ourselves of all of them to protect the lives of Americans.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:49 AM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Heavily medicated? So much for adding a Doctor into the mix.

Vegas shooter was reportedly prescribed anti-anxiety meds over the summer | New York Post

Old 10-05-2017, 07:50 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
OK fair enough. No counter-snipers would traditionally be set up on roof tops or other elevated positions in two man teams (one spotter, one shooter) before the event began, not on the ground within the crowd, and part of their function is just watching and scanning other rooftops and windows with high powered optics to see what's going on. Just to clarify regarding baggage checks I was talking about the event itself, not the hotel.

The good thing about counter-sniper teams is that they are less-invasive as opposed to someone feeling you up to search for weapons or searching through your belongings, people would not even know they are there.

That's a reasonable questions. Yeah from my understanding sniper teams are part of SWAT teams and while a city like NYC has a bunch of counter-sniper teams, a town like Kansas City may only have one.
Another thing I read is that some smaller cities tend to put these SWAT LEOs that are, shall we say, over the hill and not in shape to brake down doors anymore, a role as a sniper is sometimes seen as the last step in a career (in contrast I am going to bet the NYC snipers are ex-military and some of the best shoots in the country). Some police agencies will need to beef up recruitment and training.
Right, so there goes the $1250 figure (which was low to begin with). Now you're looking at hiring dozens of snipers, tons of equipment, ongoing training, pensions, benefits, etc. for every city. I personally feel that it's a bad use of funds.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Heavily medicated? So much for adding a Doctor into the mix.

Vegas shooter was reportedly prescribed anti-anxiety meds over the summer | New York Post
He could've scammed the doc to get those particular meds to settle his nerves due to the planning process so he wouldn't look all sweaty,hands shaking etc.
They don't make you want to kill or make you even angry, quite the opposite...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies