Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2017, 04:56 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
He was very angry with his mother for not getting him the help he so desperately needed many years earlier. Anger spills over to anyone vulnerable, and little children are the most vulnerable.

Just the same, Paddock shot the concert goers easily, like shooting fish in a barrel. Very angry man.
According to who?

As far as he knew, his father abandoned his family when he was 7 in 1960. His mother reportedly struggled to keep the family together. It is unknown how much he knew of his father's thing for robbing banks and breaking out of prison.

People did not seek or " get help" in the early 60's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 05:26 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,379,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
According to who?

As far as he knew, his father abandoned his family when he was 7 in 1960. His mother reportedly struggled to keep the family together. It is unknown how much he knew of his father's thing for robbing banks and breaking out of prison.

People did not seek or " get help" in the early 60's.
Adam Lanza’s mother took him to numerous doctors and mental health institutions. Many of those wanted Adam to be treated, some in institutions. His mother refused to listen to these health professionals. Look at the comprehensive account of his story and his mother’s refusal to believe he had so many mental issues, published months after Lanza killed so many. It should be on the net. A long history of her refusing the help her son.

As far as people “not getting help” in the 60’s, “ that is incorrect. A high school friend of mine in 1960 was in our local catholic mental hospital for many months. I remember sending her many “thinking of you” cards at that time.

I read that a kindly neighbor of Paddock’s took the boy to her home the day his father was taken away. She didn”t want Stephen to witness that. Nothing has been said so far (at least that we know) about how much Paddock knew about his father’s crimes when he was little. However, as a teen or adult, it would have been easy to find his dad on the “10 most wanted” list. Wouldn’t that make any of you angry and resentful if your father committed such crimes? Also, the fact that the dad was not around to raise him and take care of his family had to have a huge effect. I’m not taking up for Paddock. He was an evil man.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:32 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,239,057 times
For all we know the shooter simply committed this mass-murder to upstage his dad on wanting to become the most wanted man by the FBI.
Or maybe he did what he did simply because he could.

It used to be that committing suicide was a deeply personal affair being done as far away from prying eyes as possible, but I guess that nowadays it is en vogue to kill as many people as possible in a public place as possible so one becomes as famous as possible before actually checking out.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:47 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,765,643 times
I'm not sure how the FBI would "profile this guy" but he did have a component of some mass shooters: Being under the radar, keeping to himself, building a fence around his property (that had an amazing view btw) but on the other hand, I have not known a mass killer who bought and sold houses, gambled over a million in a certain amount of time, and capable of wiring $100,000 (no problem) to someone...

I guess the confusion is for me: He was quiet, unassuming, had no prior record, very private but yet, had other components of flambouyant behavior such as heavy gambling, lets call it the "Gold Club" by Vegas standards, the more he spends, the more they "comp" him. I think they said he was using her Players Club card. But why? If you knew you might be dead in a few hours, after all this, why would you care about your gambling points?

Old 10-06-2017, 06:07 PM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times
News that he may have targeted the fuel tanks at the airport first brought this to mind...He tried to buy tracer rounds, but thankfully wasn't able to....What I'm wondering about is if tracers would have set those tanks on fire....

Old 10-06-2017, 06:53 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Almost 5 years later and no one knows why Adam Lanza burst into the Sandy Hook School.

No one knows why he did it that day but the his mental state, proclivity for violent shooting video games, and familiarity with and access to real guns provide a picture which is understandable. He was not attached to reality so killing real people wasn't much different than killing in the games he played all day..alone....a sad existence. As a feeling human being, it's devastating to even have pass through your memory..but that kid had no feelings.

This Vegas thing there is much less to grasp on to in order to make sense of this sick person. Maybe he was completely emotionally detached too...although there are tens of thousands of people hooked into mindless slot machines and video poker as their entire existence who don't massacre people.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:51 PM

29,523 posts, read 22,680,154 times
Truly no shame from some.

Criticizing a survivor who stood in respect for our president. How 'terrible' of him for doing so.

Jeezus.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/las-vegas...171850988.html

Old 10-06-2017, 08:04 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,803,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Truly no shame from some.

Criticizing a survivor who stood in respect for our president. How 'terrible' of him for doing so.

Jeezus.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/las-vegas...171850988.html
That is truly pathetic, but not real surprising after we've seen them in action for over half a year now. it's like the CBS exec that was fired for what she said on Facebook. It's all the same crowd they think alike, and they all voted for Hillary of course.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:07 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I'm not sure how the FBI would "profile this guy" but he did have a component of some mass shooters: Being under the radar, keeping to himself, building a fence around his property (that had an amazing view btw) but on the other hand, I have not known a mass killer who bought and sold houses, gambled over a million in a certain amount of time, and capable of wiring $100,000 (no problem) to someone...

I guess the confusion is for me: He was quiet, unassuming, had no prior record, very private but yet, had other components of flambouyant behavior such as heavy gambling, lets call it the "Gold Club" by Vegas standards, the more he spends, the more they "comp" him. I think they said he was using her Players Club card. But why? If you knew you might be dead in a few hours, after all this, why would you care about your gambling points?
That's one of those things of life I find hilarious.

I have a superior who many a times a crisis of world security comes up, he asks to borrow a gun.

I won't do that for if in anything else, Mom told me not to loan guns to anyone outside the family. I have told him that I will bankroll him, in the years before I bought the ranch, to buy his own gun. His response was no, I don't want to appear on the government's radar.

Why is it hilarious to me?

"You are a friend, you want to borrow a major asset from me, you say you don't want to appear on the government's radar.......................but you have no problem of me appearing on it?????".

Quite frankly, I don't think he realizes all the implications of his inquiries but there are times I do wonder.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 10-06-2017 at 08:44 PM..

Old 10-06-2017, 08:24 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,875,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
I saw this topic earlier this week and I didn't want to post anything until more information was revealed about the person who was behind this atrocious event that took place on Sunday night, and it's probably going to take a while until we know more about Stephen Paddock and what his motive(s) were. For the time being, I'm pleading to all the people, Republicans, Democrats, Independants, or whatever political party they follow, out of respect to those who were needlessly murdered and injured is this act of evil, to refrain from attacking others from the opposing sides and possibly blaming others for this. Such disputes will not solve any problems and will only cause more divisions in our nation.

As a law-abiding American and a gun owner, regardless of the political party you belong in, please understand that only one person caused this tragic event, and he broke the most fundamental law that was given to us since the beginning of recorded history, and that was To Not Murder. It was something no decent American would even think of doing, and the actions Stephen Paddock took on Sunday night do not speak for the millions of us decent gun owners. We're also making it clear that no laws, existing or ones that are being thought of, would have stopped somebody like Paddock from doing what he did. Any disturbed individual with enough determination could have done what he did, and possibly caused a bigger calamity with other devices made from materials that are readily available, and were found in Paddock's possession.

This is not about restricting or banning one certain type of firearms, it's about one individual who decided to commit a horrific and a senseless act, and finding out exactly what led up to what he did in hopes of preventing such tragedies from ever occurring again, without taking away any of the freedoms this country was founded on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies