Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2017, 07:27 PM

13,274 posts, read 7,321,255 times

Advertisements

It has been 83 years since the 1934 national firearms act has passed quote how many legally registered machine guns have been used in a crime? I repeatedly hear people wanting to ban current owners of what they have owned for 20-30-40 years without a problem to the public. Banning legally owned machine guns, and tannerite is not going to stop anyone from doing what this man did converting a semi auto to full auto or like this man who used some gizmo called a bump stock to allow the recoil to make it fire semi auto faster. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.749fc9b10878

I'm in favor of licensing, and registration for certain firearms but I'm not in favor of outright ban just because you think there is no need. There is no need for Alcohol yet 88,000 people die a year in the US from it why not ban that?

https://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/alcohol-use.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 07:28 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks69 View Post
Thank you for the clarification, but I live in a city of 20,000 so not to worried here.
you are welcome, but my point is that using Chicago or DC as an example simply doesnt fly when you actually look at the numbers.

Indianapolis with nearly 1 million people is just as dangerous statistically as Chicago is. But it is in a conservative state with conservative gun laws, and no one ever brings it up because it also destroys the republican/conservative argument on gun laws.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:28 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
And I sell machineguns too. Make some nice change doing it too.
Will you be donating to help cover the enormous medical bills of those shooting victims in Las Vegas?

Old 10-03-2017, 07:29 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Amen! The number of Canadians here who insistently insert themselves into our national business while simultaneously and smugly congratulating themselves for their Canadian morality is just the most quirky and laughable thing. You Canucks crow endlessly over your superiority, and vocally thank your stars for living in Canada, yet continue to insert yourself into our affairs as if your opinion is also something that should really matter to us. Make up your minds, you crazy kids.
I know the US like to be an isolationist in theory, but it isn't and the world doesn't work that way. When YOUR policies affect OTHERS, OTHERS will speak up.

You want to talk about interference. Your NRA interfered in Canadian politics! All I'm doing is trying to talk sense to you guys.

NRA involved in gun registry debate - Canada - CBC News

Also Canadians are neighbours and family. Millions of Canadians have family in the US and friends. Hundreds of thousands have dual citizenship. Millions of Canadians pay property taxes and spend money in the US...so ya, we going to comment.

We are bound together in many ways, you grunt we feel it. So no. We aren't going to keep quiet.

If you think we are crowing over being superior, then that it YOUR issue. You have highlighted one unique American trait though. When other countries do something better, you guys put your fingers in your ears because you don't want to hear it. It goes against AMERICA IS THE BEST mantra that too many of you have.
Millions are waking up though. They no longer believe the BS.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:38 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,372,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
You're the one spewing spam. It's not a bunch of starving farmers firing long rifles in Afghanistan. They are funded by drug sales, as well as a healthy dose of support from the wealthy Persian Gulf states.

And as someone else has already stated, the U.S. military is made up of American citizens and residents. It would be a bizarre scenario indeed if thousands of military turned their guns on their own neighbors and relatives..

Why do gun fetishists always need to resort to the most extreme unlikely scenarios, i.e. the U.S. government attacks its own citizens? Why not address the scenarios that actually happen, like 30,000 gun deaths a year in America? We should work to reduce the number of actual gun deaths occurring, not worry about sci fi doomsday scenarios.
Why do ignorant anti gun nuts keep bringing up 30,000 gun deaths when they have absolutely no idea what that number represents?

65% suicides
29% repeat felons killing other repeat felons
3% police killing suspects

If you're not planning to kill yourself and aren't a felon (a stretch for the left I'm sure) you're 40x more likely to be killed by a car and more likely to be struck by lightning than to be killed by someone with an "assault rifle".

Old 10-03-2017, 07:40 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,372,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
The kicker is they believe the US gov't will attack its own citizens but would never, ever, EVER use things like biochemical or nuclear weapons on us. Apparently, Future Dystopian US Government has rules - like only using guns. LMFAO

Old 10-03-2017, 07:40 PM

13,274 posts, read 7,321,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I know the US like to be an isolationist in theory, but it isn't and the world doesn't work that way. When YOUR policies affect OTHERS, OTHERS will speak up.

You want to talk about interference. Your NRA interfered in Canadian politics! All I'm doing is trying to talk sense to you guys.

NRA involved in gun registry debate - Canada - CBC News

Also Canadians are neighbours and family. Millions of Canadians have family in the US and friends. Hundreds of thousands have dual citizenship. Millions of Canadians pay property taxes and spend money in the US...so ya, we going to comment.

We are bound together in many ways, you grunt we feel it. So no. We aren't going to keep quiet.

If you think we are crowing over being superior, then that it YOUR issue. You have highlighted one unique American trait though. When other countries do something better, you guys put your fingers in your ears because you don't want to hear it. It goes against AMERICA IS THE BEST mantra that too many of you have.
Millions are waking up though. They no longer believe the BS.
If America is not the best how did we become what we are today the most powerful economic country in the history of the human race one word sums it up "Freedom".

Old 10-03-2017, 07:52 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,357,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Why do gun fetishists always talk about their guns being taken away. How about a ban on assault weapons starting now. A ban on certain types of ammunition. A federal registry for gun owners. A gun buy-back program. Higher penalties for "accidents" such as toddlers getting a hold of a gun. Stricter enforcement of laws against perpetrators of domestic violence since there is correlation between domestic violence and subsequent homicide.
What in God's name do you think a ban on assault weapons is? A gun buy back program? A ban on certain types of ammunition? Who's to determine what falls under any of those categories? You? Anything can be labeled as an assault weapon. The State of California has a list of weapons that are illegal to possess within that state and the list keeps on growing.

Why can't you just be honest and say what your end goal is? That you will not be satisfied until every civilian owned firearm is confiscated and destroyed. You're not fooling anyone.

But it really doesn't matter what you think. We are never going to give up our guns no matter how many laws you think you can pass. If that eventually leads to a civil war then so be it. You will have reaped what you have sown. You grossly under estimate the number of people who will refuse to comply with such draconian action by a despotic government that you support. Our Constitution, Bill of Rights and the preservation of our Constitutional Republic are the only things worth fighting for and of how passionate we are in preserving it.

Many have refused to comply with New York's "Safe Act". Even law enforcement officers are refusing to enforce it. New York's a "Blue State" one of thee most anti-gun states in the nation. You'd think there'd be massive compliance within that state? I thank God I no longer live there. Most of the states throughout the country are "Red states." Do you really believe that the majority of the people who live in all those "Red" states will comply? Do you really think that law enforcement within those states will enforce those laws? Dream on, but it ain't gonna' happen.

Quote:
"When I prioritize what I need to do as a sheriff, the SAFE Act comes in at the bottom of that list," says Christopher Moss, the sheriff in Chemung County, a rural area near the Pennsylvania border. "I do look at it personally as an infringement on Second Amendment rights."

That puts Moss and many other state sheriffs at odds with Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo. Cuomo touted the SAFE Act during his re-election campaign last year. His administration did not respond to requests for comment on the apparent lack of enforcement.--NPR
Quote:
Massive noncompliance with SAFE Act | Hudson Valley One
hudsonvalleyone.com/2016/07/07/massive-noncompliance-with-safe-act/
Jul 7, 2016 ... That's a compliance rate of about 4 percent. ... Opposition to the SAFE Act has been widespread across upstate New York, where 52 of the ...

That data shows massive noncompliance with the assault weapon registration requirement. Based on an estimate from the National Shooting Sports Federation, about 1 million firearms in New York State meet the law’s assault-weapon criteria, but just 44,000 have been registered. That’s a compliance rate of about 4 percent. Capanna said that the high rate of noncompliance with the law could only be interpreted as a large-scale civil disobedience, given the high level of interest and concern about the law on the part of gun owners.

“It’s not that they aren’t aware of the law,” said Capanna. “The lack of registration is a massive act of civil disobedience by gun owners statewide.”

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 10-03-2017 at 08:04 PM..

Old 10-03-2017, 07:52 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,020,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I agree, open discourse on the topic has been proven to be a waste of time. I say this because it seems that it only those that believe in the 2nd A are the ones asked to give up anything. Some will say we need less laws and some say we need more, personally while I think there are too many laws I would be fine with leaving the laws as they are. We have background checks, we deny the lawful right to convicted Felons and we strictly limit full auto firearms to select few.
The problem is not guns, it is the elephant in the corner called mental health that is the issue, when we address the Obvious we might make some headway.
Not really.

You can buy a gun:

- private sale

- at a gun show

- from a dealer

Only one of the above require a background check. I don't even have to register firearms.

We essentially have no gun control (outside of full auto bans). What we have is basically just on paper and poorly enforced and has too many holes in it.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:02 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,845,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
No its not my primary concern, but it is a concern every time there is a shooting, the 99.9 percent of gun owners who never shot anyone come under attack from the knee jerk, freedom hating left, who seek to captalize on a tragedy to fullfill their agenda. See the o.p. for example.
I'm not on the left. I don't have to be.

Please stop using what has become the most f'ing overused, misused word since it was hijacked by the dogmatic, raging, militant, fanatical extreme American right and subsequently bleeted, ad nauseum, by its sheep:

"agenda."

Just stop. There is NO agenda. There is NO conspiracy.

There is also no US government (including Trump and his motley crew) that poses nearly as much of a public health and security threat as does the Angry White American Male. His rage transcends any sitting president, any administration, any booming or busting economy, or any refugee.

His rage knows no bounds. It has no beginning and, likely, no end. His domestic terrorism -- yes, that's exactly what it is -- is more sinister, more senseless, more relentless, but every bit as bloodthirsty as any potential act of international terrorism on US soil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies