Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 11:31 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,047,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
A country is not just judged on economic power.
It most certainly is the single most important factor, and is one excellent measure of its value.

And the single most important factor in practically the entire rest of the world historically doing its damndest to get here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 11:42 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,047,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Interesting. Wonder if you'd be so philosophical about it all if, God forbid, your wife, one of your kids, or another family member was killed in a mass shooting. Somehow I have a feeling your wouldn't be.

It's all fun and games and the Constitution until it happens to YOU and YOURS.
My basic principles are based on logic, morality, ethics, and reason. They are not subject to change if my family is wiped out by a madman or a terrorist.

We have a right to keep and bear arms. It is a logical right, as not all men are good, and we need to be able to defend ourselves, our homes, and our loved ones from the brigands and the beasts. Who, thanks to the leftist-collectivist-welfare mentality, are multiplying.

The Founders knew that we had to protect ourselves not only from the government in certain cases, but from each other when the necessity arises. You cannot rely on the police most of the time. They are 10 minutes to an hour away, and when a beast needs to be destroyed in your home or in your travels, it has to be done immediately. And the best way to take care of that is keep and bear arms.

Peace through strength. It is necessary for countries, it is necessary for individuals.

All kids should undergo very early self-defense training, both martial arts and the use of firearms. A population that can handle itself in a bad situation is an excellent civic goal.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:46 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I'm not sure what cars and swimming pools have to do with gun violence I am sure, and however you try and 'dress it up' with your 'gun deaths have gone down' argument the FACT is that the USA has BY A MASSIVE DISTANCE by FAR the highest number of people shot to death every year, its not even close, its not even close to being close, if you really can't accept that you have a massive problem with guns there then I really don't know what to say.
It's astonishing isn't it? I know my family and friends that live in the US are fed up.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:47 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
You cannot legislate human behavior. A gun is just a tool.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:48 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,846,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i have had a gun pointed at me in anger, i was robbed at gun point a number of years ago. and i have lost family members to gun violence, an uncle of mine committed suicide while talking to his ex wife on the phone. and yet i STILL support the right of the people to keep and bear arms.
Don't put words into my mouth, please. I've never said citizens don't have the right to keep and bear arms, nor would I.

Other Western democracies have the same rights, but those rights have limits necessary to the welfare of the public. As the Second Amendment states, the right to keep and bear arms, as part of a "well-regulated militia," will not be infringed.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:54 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"In what way would you be 'less free' if you tightened the gun law?"

If you have to ask such a question, your lack of knowledge on the subject is glaring.

Explain why the cities and states with MOST stringent gun laws have the MOST gun crime.

Many have said we should enact the EXACT same laws to guns covered under the 2nd amendment to the 1st amendment.

Would you be OK with that?

Before ypu can speak, you have to APPLY for a license, go through a background check, a phych eval, etc., ALL which has fees you must pay.

What is good for the 2nd should be good for the 1st. They are BOTH covered in the Constitution, "The right of the PEOPLE to KEEP and BARE arms, shall NOT be INFRINGED."

It seems some have forgotten what the word "infringed" means.
Ahh but the trick is to change the public opinion on the topic and then all the sudden, 'infringing' will almost be welcomed and applauded.

Its a very slow and methodical way to undermine the constitution and its very successful, tyranny is in full swing today and most people do not even realize it...now how does that happen?! LOL

As Ive said before, if England had used this same tactic and had enough time to deploy it, there would have never been an american revolution, they would have had everyone living in the colonies believing a monarchy and all its laws was in their best interest, and anyone attempting to fight them was a terrorist who needed to be stopped and locked up for life.

Think about it...a tyrannical authority is never going to announce or admit itself to actually be tyrannical, instead they will try to disguise it, what better disguise than safety/ security? Plus, they pretty much ensure the people will never rise up and revolt.

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
This should be quoted on every page of this and every other thread about American culture and society.

Thanks Marc.
Actually a better description would be "self-sufficient". As in "I don't expect my government to support me, protect me, or to make all of my decisions for me".

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
Well much of gun violence that the Libs like to hold up as evidence that guns are nothing but evil devices that should be banned can be broken down to gang violence, suicides and accidental shootings.
I think if someone wants to kill themselves they will find a way even if guns never existed.
Accidental shootings are just that accidents and those can be reduced by education and gun safety.
The gang violence is the sticking point where even Obama himself didn't do anything to help his people in Chicago. In fact programs like stop and frisk where stopped because they were deemed to be racially profiling and wrong BUT guess what, if the gangs are made up of black or hispanic people that are operating in black or brown neighborhoods WHY would the Police move their stop and frisk searches to a predominantly white neighborhood that does not have a gang problem?

If we could get all the illegal guns out of the hands of criminal gang bangers then the murder rates would go down. It is that simple and that would be a good start before seeking to ban any gun for the law abiding.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:55 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,280,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I was going to post something similar. Does anyone here have the time/ability to pull up some numbers that compare European nations overall homicide statistics with the US, where the high-crime US cities numbers aren't factored in? I'd be interested in seeing it, but don't have the time to do it.
I sort of did it anyway, but not by city. (Leaf raking can wait.)

If you use murder numbers by race, instead of by city (only because it's much faster and much easier to find that info), 49% - 56% of murders are by blacks, and 22% by Hispanics. This is per DOJ stats for the year 2015. Using the lower number for blacks, that's a combined 71% of all murders in the US. So of 15,696 murders, 4552 were by whites, other, or race unknown. UK had 573 murders. Adjusting for population, their murder rate is 0.87, and ours is 1.42. Using the higher percentage, we're still at 1.12. We lose. Whites in the US commit more murders than all UK citizens combined.

This is for all homicides, not just gun-related.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:56 AM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,758 times
As an American I enjoy many freedoms because of guns.

Like....

the freedom to be shot and killed at work
the freedom to be shot and killed at school
the freedom to be shot and killed at a concert
the freedom to be shot and killed at the mall
the freedom to be shot and killed at in my car
the freedom to be shot and killed at church
the freedom to be shot and killed at a party
the freedom to be shot and killed by my neighbor
the freedom to be shot and killed by a gangbanger
the freedom to be shot and killed by the police
the freedom to be shot and killed by my co-worker
the freedom to be shot and killed by anyone with a mental illness

These are freedoms people in other countries wish they had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies