Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2017, 10:26 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,753,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
None of those things should be illegal to possess in the first place. The war on drugs has cost the United States more than some foreign wars we've been involved in. At last count, it's around $1 Trillion that we have invested in a program that does nothing but put non-violent offenders in prison and destroy their families.
Comments like yours help to clarify the mentality of some involved in this discussion...

Perhaps we should start with what laws ARE appropriate and go from there, because this argument of yours is baffling even for me who well understands both ends of the drug abuse problem. I suppose you are likely to put all drug abuse problems into the same category as "non-violent offenders," right? Those killing for drug distribution turf should be as free to do their thing as those lighting a reefer at a concert.

Close?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 10:29 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,753,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
You're the gift that just keeps on giving aren't you?
Well I'm not the one who goes on about not answering questions, but I am still interested to know the answer to the question I asked of you, if your C-D moniker has anything to do with guns?

Yes? No? Maybe so?

Old 10-10-2017, 10:30 AM

89,101 posts, read 44,928,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
I understand all the facts
I understand that correlation does not equal causation

You're trying to say that because two things are correlated that one caused the other.

Who is bad at math?
No, I'm saying that...

A 50% increase in the number of guns owned by Americans has resulted in...

The rate of gun homicides decreasing by 50%, and the rate of nonfatal violent gun crimes decreasing by 76%.

Are you bad at math?

Old 10-10-2017, 10:30 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,927,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Comments like yours help to clarify the mentality of some involved in this discussion...
This is true.

Here's the original statement
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
None of those things should be illegal to possess in the first place.
*emphasis mine
And your response
Quote:
Those killing for drug distribution turf should be as free to do their thing as those lighting a reefer at a concert.
*emphasis mine

What does this exchange say about your mentality?

Old 10-10-2017, 10:31 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,505,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
What has drunk drivers got to do with it?
Because when you examine statistics that show homicide rates and by what implement... and try to run it as a public health argument... the reality of "gun violence" isn't as prevalent as the media and politicians want you to believe.

I'll post the facts again per the CDC if you'd like...

Homicide being the dying at the hands of another, the implement used is irrelevent.

Quote:
In 2015, 10,265 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for nearly one-third (29%) of all traffic-related deaths in the United States.
Of the 1, 1,132 traffic deaths among children ages 0 to 14 years in 2015, 209 (16%) involved an alcohol-impaired driver.
In 2015, nearly 1.1 million drivers were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics.3 That’s one percent of the 111 million self-reported episodes of alcohol-impaired driving among U.S. adults each year.
https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafe...factsheet.html

Regular car accidents despite the training wheels and good feels devices to help prevent death (air bags abs etc)
For regular incidents
POLICE-REPORTED MOTOR VEHICLE TRAFFIC CRASHES
Fatal .................................................. ....... 32,166
Injury .................................................. ....... 1,715,000
Property Damage Only ........................................... 4,548,000
Total .................................................. ..... 6,296,000
TRAFFIC CRASH VICTIMS Killed/Injured
Occupants .................................................. .. 23,695/2,230,000
Drivers........................................... ........... 17,466/1,605,000
Passengers .................................................. 6,158/624,000
Unknown .................................................. .. 71/1,000
Motorcyclists .................................................. 4,976/88,000
Nonoccupants ................................................. 6,421/125,000
Pedestrians .................................................. 5,376/70,000
Pedalcyclists ................................................. 818/45,000
Other/Unknown ............................................... 227/10,000
Total .................................................. ....... 35,092/2,443,000

Per the NHTSA... 2015
https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api...ication/812384

Firearm homicides
Number of deaths: 11,008
Firearm suicides
Number of deaths: 21,386

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/homicide.htm

Now here is where we can break down of those homicides, which are committed by police actions
Per bureau of justice report 2015
930 per year, or 1240 if assuming that nonreporting local agencies kill people at the same rate as reporting agencies.
11,008-930=10,078
11,008-1,240=9,768
9k/10k homicides committed. Of those that are committed, which are carried out by criminals with intent to kill, and which are carried out by those in defense of life and or property?
277 per the FBI UCR. https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s..._2010-2014.xls

10,078-277=9,801
9,768-277=9,491
Ok, of the remaining deaths, how many are by negligent discharge (accidents) table 10 page 44 of CDC pdf research.
461 per CDC chart.
9,801-461=9,340
9,491-461=9,030

Let's add those figures up and divide by 2 since there are 2 figures per the Justice Department reportings.
9340+9030Ă·2=9,185.
An average of 9,185 deaths committed by criminals commissioning the use of a fire arm.

Leading causes of death per CDC

Number of deaths for leading causes of death:
Heart disease: 633,842
Cancer: 595,930
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 155,041
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 146,571
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 140,323
Alzheimer’s disease: 110,561
Diabetes: 79,535
Influenza and Pneumonia: 57,062
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis: 49,959
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 44,193

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm
I don't see firearms there

Now let us go another step further because anti gun crowd likes to throw the whole we need to protect the children!
926,240 abortions took place in the United States

Facts About Abortion: U.S. Abortion Statistics
Now I can't get the exact data from that number exactly the reasons for 926,240 abortions for that year...
I can sympathize with victims of rape... I can justify not having the means financially and emotionally and not wanting to be a single parent, but as a form of birth control because someone wants to jump from bed to bed...

Let's look at another killer in America shall we?
HIV/AIDS Number of HIV diagnoses: 39,513 (2015)
Per CDC.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/aids-hiv.htm

You are more at risk to catch an incurable disease, that can kill without treatment, by sleeping around, than you are by being shot.

But if we want to protect the children
Let's look at the leading causes of child deaths shall we?

Children aged 1-4 years
Number of deaths: 3,830

Children aged 5-14 years
Number of deaths: 5,250
Reading the mortality charts...
Illness, motor vehicle accidents, drowning, poisoning, then suicide.
The chart and tables are a little odd as it goes 15-24...
Here's the chart.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr65/nvsr65_04.pdf

So if we want to be genuine in "saving the children" shouldn't abortion be stopped?

If we want to worry about risks to public health and safety, shouldn't those infected with HIV and AIDS be held criminally responsible for infecting people knowingly?
Do we ban leisure activities, sports activities, bad health practices (obesity sedentary lifestyles) and private vehicle ownership, drugs and alcohol?

With all of the other leading causes of death especially homicide, if we want to address dying at the hands of another whether intentionally, or unintentionally, why are we not focusing on DWI car accidents and recreational drug use?

I broke down the stats 9,185 deaths by a firearm with intent to kill/commissioned in criminal enterprise.

Why is the firearm considered so heinous when compared to
35,092 deaths reported for car accident fatalities
39,513 reported (keyword) biological weapons walking around hopping from bed to bed.
The CDC doesn't record medical error/malpractice John's Hopkins research suggests medical error fatality rate is to the tune of
Quote:
Analyzing medical death rate data over an eight-year period, Johns Hopkins patient safety experts have calculated that more than 250,000 deaths per year are due to medical error in the U.S.
https://hub.jhu.edu/2016/05/03/medic...ause-of-death/

Whether due to misdiagnosis, communication errors, response/wait times or medicine/drug interactions.

But firearms are a significant rate, and super widespread at 9,185?
I smell a rat...

Old 10-10-2017, 10:32 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,376,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, I'm saying that...

A 50% increase in the number of guns owned by Americans has resulted in...

The rate of gun homicides decreasing by 50%, and the rate of nonfatal violent gun crimes decreasing by 76%.

Are you bad at math?
The orange is your opinion and has no basis in fact.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:32 AM

30,198 posts, read 11,850,700 times
Quote:
"The numbers that you posted", then.

So, again, you cannot logically draw the conclusion that you are attempting to draw based off of "the numbers that you posted".
The conclusion the left has come up with every time there is a high profile shooting is gun violence is out of control and the only solution is gun control.

The crime numbers have been dropping for the past 30 years because of better policing, stiffer sentences and a aging baby boomer population who is less apt to commit crimes as they get older.

Obviously the amount of guns that exist does not cause more gun violence.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:33 AM

89,101 posts, read 44,928,596 times
Lefties who don't understand that gun homicides and nonfatal violent gun crime rates have DECREASED as gun ownership has increased...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFh8WS0s8UQ

Old 10-10-2017, 10:35 AM

13,984 posts, read 5,647,020 times
Quote:
I understand all the facts
I understand that correlation does not equal causation

You're trying to say that because two things are correlated that one caused the other.

Who is bad at math?
I completely agree with your analysis, but we can conclude given that statistical data that the increase in gun ownership DOES NOT cause nor correlate with an increase in gun related crime. We can say that, because as an increase happened on side A, there was a decrease on side B, therefore, A cannot be directly proportional to B.

This speaks to the "guns are not the problem" theory, does it not?

Old 10-10-2017, 10:36 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,376,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Lefties who don't understand that gun homicides and nonfatal violent gun crime rates have DECREASED as gun ownership has increased...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFh8WS0s8UQ
As opposed to right wingers who do not understand elementary statistics...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies