Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 10:50 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times

Advertisements

I was listening to Jimmy Kimmel and he mentioned a common point a lot of Liberals make regarding gun violence and terrorism.

The argument is... after a terrorist attack we enact travel bans, build walls, tap phones, we take every possible precaution to make sure it doesn't happen again, but when an American carries out an attack we say we can't do anything about it because it would take away from our rights.

So why does Jimmy and most Liberals feel like these measures which are used to help prevent terrorist attacks are evil vile things, but at the same time uses them as a reason to enact similar level measures for dealing with domestic gun violence?

The reasons Conservatives are against stricter gun control because of the actions of a few are the same reasons why Liberals are against stricter immigration laws targeting Muslims because of the actions of a few.

For me I consider myself the rational one... I understand most gun owners are law abidig citizens and most Muslims don't want to kill innocent people, but I also understand the current laws make it too easy for a person wanting to cause mass harm to buy weapons and ammo to injure hundreds single handedly, I also understand that most terrorism stems from the Muslim community, so doing extra vetting and monitoring would be a good thing. Will this stop all mass shootings or all terrorist attacks, no, but it will help.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:10 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,951,133 times
Allowing people who are mentally ill, allowing suspected terrorists on no-fly lists to legally purchase weapons is not rational. Allowing people to legally buy devices to essentially convert their assault weapon to full automatic is not rational. Allowing people including convicted felons to buy guns without any background check is not rational, it is sheer madness. Which is why convicted felons and terrorists love the GOP and NRA!

Old 10-04-2017, 11:23 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,495,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
For me I consider myself the rational one... I understand most gun owners are law abidig citizens and most Muslims don't want to kill innocent people, but I also understand the current laws make it too easy for a person wanting to cause mass harm to buy weapons and ammo to injure hundreds single handedly, I also understand that most terrorism stems from the Muslim community, so doing extra vetting and monitoring would be a good thing. Will this stop all mass shootings or all terrorist attacks, no, but it will help.
Gun control has nothing to do about guns and everything to do about control.

Suggesting this, that, the other, pertaining to limits, restrictions, and other measures is to be in essence, an anointed lord to oversee the lives of the peasants...

There's literally little outrage over deaths that are significantly higher in various other arenas. Be they drinking and driving or medical malpractice or automobile related.

I honestly believe they believe in revising everything from politics and culture, to daily activities of the entire populace on a premise of "safety" or on a premise of being like (insert country here). Followed by weak, ill informed, Hollywood myths, and citing sources that twist stats to equal facts.

I for one have no problem with anyone owning anything unless they're not allowed by due process in a court of law.

To suggest any ban, of any implement, to suggest any further legislation, to suggest any limitation. Is to do so out of progressive ideology in believing in a rainbow unicorn and puppy dog utopia. It won't make anything more difficult it will only fuel more divide. May create unity in one aspect. May cause for a bigger divide.

Will feel good proposals help or work? 4 cities with the strictest gun control legislation suggest otherwise...
(Awaits the that's not true my sources claim the excuse of poverty lack of opportunity rebuttal)

That too is being rational.

I'm not willing to infringe anyone's rights to fit any agenda. But most who view me as a psychopath or terrorist for owning these weapons feel that it's acceptable for me to compromise more on an issue.
30 years I've been alive... all I have heard about is compromise compromise compromise. In otherwords. Forfeit more boohoo I'm scared. Forfeit more boohoo I'm scared. Forfeit more boohoo I'm scared.

So much for land of the free home of the brave.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:33 PM

513 posts, read 580,726 times
Quote:
I was listening to Jimmy Kimmel and he mentioned a common point a lot of Liberals make regarding gun violence and terrorism.

The argument is... after a terrorist attack we enact travel bans, build walls, tap phones, we take every possible precaution to make sure it doesn't happen again, but when an American carries out an attack we say we can't do anything about it because it would take away from our rights.

So why does Jimmy and most Liberals feel like these measures which are used to help prevent terrorist attacks are evil vile things, but at the same time uses them as a reason to enact similar level measures for dealing with domestic gun violence?

The reasons Conservatives are against stricter gun control because of the actions of a few are the same reasons why Liberals are against stricter immigration laws targeting Muslims because of the actions of a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Allowing people who are mentally ill, allowing suspected terrorists on no-fly lists to legally purchase weapons is not rational. Allowing people to legally buy devices to essentially convert their assault weapon to full automatic is not rational. Allowing people including convicted felons to buy guns without any background check is not rational, it is sheer madness. Which is why convicted felons and terrorists love the GOP and NRA!
Exhibit A.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:37 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
funny its already against federal and state laws for those that have been adjudicated as mentally defective to buy guns. as for people on the no fly list, you cannot use that list to prevent someone from buying a firearm because it is an unconstitutional use of that list. there is no due process, no adjudication of any one on that list, etc. so you are trying to make an end run around the constitution, which is in fact unconstitutional.

as for letting people buy bump stocks, i agree they should not be legal.

and where are convicted felons allowed to buy guns LEGALLY? fact is they cant. i know you are going to spit out the "gun show loophole" crap. a gun dealer at a gun show MUST DO a background check when they sell a firearm, no ifs ands buts or maybes about it. the only people that dont ahve to do a background check are private sellers, and even then it is illegal to sell a firearm to a convicted felon, and in most states if you are caught selling a firearm to a convicted felon, you can go to jail, in arizona you can get up to ten years for that.

nice try but you fail.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:46 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,382 times
Quote:
Allowing people who are mentally ill That requires doctors to be able to report a person they feel as unstable to the NICS background check system; not being fully done yet., allowing suspected terrorists on no-fly lists to legally purchase weapons is not rational Regarding a No Fly list, if a person is deemed dangerous enough to restrict their movements, they should be placed under arrest, and allow Due process. Allowing people to legally buy devices to essentially convert their assault weapon to full automatic is not rational; I am surprised that the Bump Stock is still on the market, but that is another issue. Allowing people including convicted felons to buy guns without any background check is not rational, it is sheer madness.

I can't speak to felons buying guns without a background check, but what I think you are referring too is "Private Sale" between two parties in the same state, which is legal in over 40 states, how a private sale works is Party A & Party B, Party A asks Party B, are you "Party B", Party B would respond Yes I am, here is my Identification. Party A would then ask are you Party B wanted for any crimes, and Party B would answer Why No I am not, this is best effort. As the law is written not illegal. So if you are looking to have a standard, make Private Sale require a background at the federal level.

Again not insane, this is just how the laws are at this point.

Which is why convicted felons and terrorists love the GOP and NRA!
Answers your questions in RED.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:55 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,585,831 times
Quote:

This is such convoluted gibberish, that I can't determine just what you're trying to say. But it seems that you're suggesting that Muslims in our country should be placed under surveillance and watched carefully. Is that your idea of good, all-American actions? There is no comparison between immigration policy and an intent to prevent some of our own citizens from amassing private arsenals of deadly weapons, that could find their way into the hands of either madmen, criminals or insurrectionists.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:54 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,446,358 times
Quote:

Deal. Enact the immigration restrictions and stronger gun control measures, starting with no assault rifles and a gun registry.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:14 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,495,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Deal. Enact the immigration restrictions and stronger gun control measures, starting with no assault rifles and a gun registry.
No deal. Immigration reform was happening regardless.

50 state reciprocity repeal of the Hughes ammendment and NFA.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:02 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,362 times
Quote:

The actions of a few? Please define few? When I was a child growing up in Baltimore in the 60s, a single murder was BIG news. I remember TV shows being interrupted by a news flash that someone had been murdered in the city. Today it would be big news if multiple people weren't. Our society is now so accustomed to gun violence, unless a large group of "innocent" people are killed, nobody bats an eye!

Why is it ok that we live in a society where we KNOW on any given day, our child could be shot at school, or we could be shot for accidentally cutting someone off on the freeway? Because of America's OBSEsSION with guns. Because paranoid Americans believe the insanity the NRA spews and think the government is going to confiscate everyone's guns and turn the country into an Imperialist country? Americans are overly neurotic about weapons, to the point that they would rather be armed and live with daily deadly violence than agree to sensible gun laws. No other country does this. Free access to unchecked assault rifles is NOT what makes this country great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies