Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 12:36 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,632,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I was listening to Jimmy Kimmel and he mentioned a common point a lot of Liberals make regarding gun violence and terrorism.

The argument is... after a terrorist attack we enact travel bans, build walls, tap phones, we take every possible precaution to make sure it doesn't happen again, but when an American carries out an attack we say we can't do anything about it because it would take away from our rights.

So why does Jimmy and most Liberals feel like these measures which are used to help prevent terrorist attacks are evil vile things, but at the same time uses them as a reason to enact similar level measures for dealing with domestic gun violence?

The reasons Conservatives are against stricter gun control because of the actions of a few are the same reasons why Liberals are against stricter immigration laws targeting Muslims because of the actions of a few.

For me I consider myself the rational one... I understand most gun owners are law abidig citizens and most Muslims don't want to kill innocent people, but I also understand the current laws make it too easy for a person wanting to cause mass harm to buy weapons and ammo to injure hundreds single handedly, I also understand that most terrorism stems from the Muslim community, so doing extra vetting and monitoring would be a good thing. Will this stop all mass shootings or all terrorist attacks, no, but it will help.
But we don't. It has been an issue that we actually don't build walls. I think I could turn that back around and ask why we should take away the guns from American citizens, but not want to know who enters our country. And it isn't true that the government doesn't take away our rights or make things harder when things happen. Have you been to an airport lately? Or applied for a passport? Or tried to go to Mexico or Canada that didn't used to require them? Things have been made harder for us and we don't have walls. Come back and talk to me when we do.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:53 PM

27,304 posts, read 13,563,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I was listening to Jimmy Kimmel and he mentioned a common point a lot of Liberals make regarding gun violence and terrorism.

The argument is... after a terrorist attack we enact travel bans, build walls, tap phones, we take every possible precaution to make sure it doesn't happen again, but when an American carries out an attack we say we can't do anything about it because it would take away from our rights.

So why does Jimmy and most Liberals feel like these measures which are used to help prevent terrorist attacks are evil vile things, but at the same time uses them as a reason to enact similar level measures for dealing with domestic gun violence?

The reasons Conservatives are against stricter gun control because of the actions of a few are the same reasons why Liberals are against stricter immigration laws targeting Muslims because of the actions of a few.

For me I consider myself the rational one... I understand most gun owners are law abidig citizens and most Muslims don't want to kill innocent people, but I also understand the current laws make it too easy for a person wanting to cause mass harm to buy weapons and ammo to injure hundreds single handedly, I also understand that most terrorism stems from the Muslim community, so doing extra vetting and monitoring would be a good thing. Will this stop all mass shootings or all terrorist attacks, no, but it will help.
Action is taken to prevent terrorist attacks, whether it is at borders, stopping radicalisation sites on the internet, designing out terrorism through architecture and barriers, using spiked Talon mats and other technology to stop vehicles and by preventing terrorists themselves from obtaining weapons including guns.

Even the planting of trees along pavements or railing, bollards, bins and other street furniture and barriers can prevent vehicle attacks, and major events are now highly protected by physical barriers.

The main reason terrorist moved to using vehicles and knives was because they couldn't easily get guns in places like the UK.

Then again the average American has much more to fear from gun violence than terrorism.

The psychology of why 94 deaths from terrorism are scarier than 301,797 deaths from guns - Quartz

In terms of guns, most countries have taken action to restrict certain weaponry that has the capacity to kill on mass, whilst still allowing farmers, rural communities, game keepers, hunters and people who engage in gun sports to continue to use firearms.

As for the Government regulation Argument -

After the Las Vegas shooting, consider this list of things that the US regulates more than guns - Quartz

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-06-2017 at 01:07 PM..
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies