Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 08:04 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
So it's his use of the term loophole you object too? It looks like a loophole to me as in : "you have to have a permit to buy unless you buy at a gun show or from a private party in the same state."

disagreeing with the term he used doesn't make that factually incorrect. Do you think people should be allowed to purchase guns at shows? When I was checking out Sanders I asked my husband what he thought of "closing that loophole" like Bernie suggested. he agreed that it needed to be closed.
“A loophole is an ambiguity or inadequacy in a system, such as a law or security, which can be used to circumvent or otherwise avoid the purpose, implied or explicitly stated, of the system.”

When a law specifically allows something, it’s NOT a loophole - it’s just the law. A loophole suggests there is something wrong with the law.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 10-05-2017 at 08:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
No, freedom of speech is a principle. The Bill of Rights is part of our Constitution, which is the foundation for all our laws. Freedom of speech is the law. The loopholes would be the limits placed on freedom of speech.

If the law provides for something, exceptions to those provisions are loopholes.

The law provides for freedom of speech, so legal exceptions to freedom of speech would be the loopholes.

The law provides for taxes to be paid, so exceptions that allow someone to avoid paying taxes are loopholes.

The law provides for background checks when guns are purchased, so exceptions when background checks do not have to be performed are loopholes.

You've made clear that there is at least one loophole to the background check law. So you've made it clear that Kimmel wasn't lying about that point.
“The congress shall make no laws ...” is an exception not a principle. In your mind, that’s a loophole.

“Somehow this loophole in the constitution allows the people to say anything they say want. We need to close that loophole. Nobody should be allowed to just say stuff. Imagine how hurtful words can be.”

If one wants to talk about universal background check, just say so. There is no need to call it a loophole.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 10-05-2017 at 08:21 PM..

Old 10-05-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
No, it doesn't matter, because it was just his opinion.
I think I start to understand. In your mind, as long as it advances your agenda, truth or facts don’t matter, right?

I apologize if this comes as an insult. It’s not. I just want to understand.

Jimmy said many things that are untrue, but his message is clear and feels right or his intention is good. That’s all it matters, right?

Old 10-05-2017, 08:12 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,737 times
Correct, "loophole" in that context, is disingenuous. Also gun "buy back" is equally incorrect. The government did not manufacture or sell the firearms targeted in any government "buy back" program.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:17 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
OP look up narcissistic personality and it will explain them to you. When reading about it I'd like to draw attention to their inability to accept fault, Hillary is a perfect example. Also notice with this disorder if they aren't seen as the all and knowing and people like this can't accept losing. That's why they went off the deep end when Hillary lost. On a side note, that's why they like participation trophy's. Look it up, you'll find the comparisons amazing.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:49 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Trying to understand the liberals .

I believe that to be a "mission impossible."
So it's the same with conservatives. And doubly so with the Christian Right ones.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:51 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,655,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Jimmy Kimmel has been famous lately about health care and guns, but listening to him is like reading posts from many liberals here on CD. They repeat the same debunked crap over and over again as if they were spreading gospels.
For years liberals have described the "Right-Wing Echo Chamber" where republicans all think the same and get all their beliefs from groups like Fox news.
https://newrepublic.com/article/1199...watch-fox-news

And scientific studies show liberals are literally like cats. Liberals do what they want, they all want different things, and its very difficult to get them to agree on something. While conservatives all think the same and are easily gathered into a group to agree on something.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-herding-cats/

But with typical Fox news propaganda techniques conservatives spin the issue and claim liberals are the ones who all think the same.
Fourteen Propaganda Techniques Fox "News" Uses to Brainwash Americans

Quote:
I am often not so sure they are just ignorant or they are just pathological liars.
Scientific studies show republican politicians lie 3x more than democrat politicians.
Studies Show Conservative Candidates Lie A Lot More Than Liberal Ones - Broke-Ass Stuart's Goddamn Website

And scientific studies show conservatives are more likely to believe lies than liberals.
Conservatives Buy Into Lies More Than Liberals Do, UCLA Study Says | L.A. Weekly

Quote:
For example, these are all completely false - this is NOT a gun control debate. I am just using these as examples:

1. "In February, he also signed a bill that made it easier for people with severe mental illness to buy guns legally."
In February "President Donald Trump quietly signed a bill into law rolling back an Obama-era regulation that made it harder for people with mental illnesses to purchase a gun."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...mental-n727221

Quote:
2. "In June of last year, the NRA fought to make sure people on the no-fly list can buy guns. They aren’t allowed to get on a plane; they’re allowed to own a very dangerous gun. Who thinks that makes sense?! Them, I guess, the people who voted with the NRA."
In June democrats tried to pass a law that would stop suspected terrorists from being able to buy guns but republicans stopped the law from passing (and republicans side with the NRA.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/21/u...te-senate.html

Old 10-05-2017, 10:37 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
OP look up narcissistic personality and it will explain them to you. When reading about it I'd like to draw attention to their inability to accept fault, Hillary is a perfect example. Also notice with this disorder if they aren't seen as the all and knowing and people like this can't accept losing. That's why they went off the deep end when Hillary lost. On a side note, that's why they like participation trophy's. Look it up, you'll find the comparisons amazing.

LOL. It's clear what has happened here. Trump is frequently referred to as a narcissist. So what you have done is gone away and looked up the definition and found descriptions such as self absorbed; self obsessed; lack of empathy; grandiosity; egocentric and so on. Which of course we all know describes Trump to a tee.
Annoyed by this, and seeing it as an insult to Trump, you choose to project these descriptors onto all 'liberals'. True narcissistic personality disorder is rare. It's just beyond ridiculous to say that all liberals are narcissists just because you have learned what the word means.

Trump on the other hand is a classic narcissist. He can barely complete a sentence without mentioning himself or his great overblown accomplishment of the day.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:40 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
Trying to understand a liberal and and make sense of their thinking is impossible. Liberalism is a disease. A disease that they dont even know they have.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:53 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Trying to understand a liberal and and make sense of their thinking is impossible. Liberalism is a disease. A disease that they dont even know they have.
Ah well you know, don't worry yourself about it. Some people have their limits with what they are able to comprehend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies