Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 01:09 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,322,346 times

Advertisements

Why do people do this? My girlfriend's mother is notorious for this. Her parents don't like discussing politics, especially her father. He follows the motto" "the two things you should never talk about is politics and religion." We stayed a little late after everyone left their house on Christmas Day and talked about many things. All good conversations, until I noticed her Mom kept trying to rope politics into some of our conversations. My GF and her dad stopped her, but she kept bringing it up. When she brought it up for the third time, I had a feeling we would just say "screw it," and would have the talk. She began on this endless rant on how Trump is a dictator trying to take control of the US for himself, compared him to Hitler, etc.

And that's when I realized what she was trying to do! She looked at me, and in her conclusion, she said, " I honestly don't understand how you could vote for that man. Will you be voting for him in 2020 if you can?" I tried avoiding the topic but she insisted. So I calmly told her, "Most likely, yes." Both she and her husband began to go on a loud rant on how I was a fool, close-minded, brainwashed, etc. They asked me how I could even stomach being a Republican.

I politely said, "Look, both the Dems and the Republicans are-", to which her father cut me off. "DON'T TRY TO FLIP THE SCRIPT!!! WE DIDN'T ASK YOU ABOUT THE DEMOCRATS!! PERFECT EXAMPLE OF A TRUMP SUPPORTER!! FLIPPING THE SCRIPT AND DODGING THE QUESTION!! WE AREN'T STUPID PEOPLE!!!' I calmly replied, "Had you let me finish, I was going to say that both parties are acting like children. But you know what? This impeachment is a joke. We have wasted more time going off of hearsay and no factual evidence, when all of that time, money, and resources, could've went towards more beneficial things, like healthcare, the economy, etc.

Her Mother: "WHAT DO YOU MEAN?! THE MAN HAS DONE NOTHING AS A SITTING PRESIDENT!!"

Me: "Well, for one, not once did I ever think the two of you were stupid. Please do not think that of me. But to answer you question, unemployment being at 4%; an all-time low is nothing? What about our economy that has strengthened? Look at how many people splurged on gifts this year for Christmas alone. What about the job market being the strongest it's ever been, Blacks and Latinos no longer being the highest unemployed ethnic groups in the US, international terrorism being at an all-time low, as well as ISIS being a low level threat at this point? Are those not accomplishments? Wall Street is seeing strong numbers it hasn't seen in over a decade. We are pulling half of the troops out of Afghanistan soon. Sounds like a lot is getting done to me."

Her Dad: "Is that all you care about? A good economy? Is money everything to you?! GOD, YOU ARE SO SELFISH AND HEARTLESS TO BE HAPPY ABOUT THAT WITH EVERYTHING ELSE GOING ON!!!"

Her Mom: "MORE THAN SELFISH; HE'S CLOSE-MINDED!! AND EVEN WORSE, YOU'RE GIVING US BULLET POINTS OF WHAT HE SUPPOSEDLY DID WHICH SHOWS HOW BRAINWASHED YOU ARE BY THE MEDIA!!!"

Girlfriend co-sings her parents. I say let's end the topic, they tell me I shouldn't have written a check my ass couldn't cash. Banter continues until GF says enough. I apologized even though I didn't feel I needed to, seeing as I wasn't the one who started this, but wanted to take the high road. Everyone says their goodbyes and we head home. GF cusses me out in the car and says I disrespected her parents, I ruined the remainder of Christmas Day, and wonders why she is even with me.

Everything was fine the next day and we hashed it out, but it's still a bunch of BS to me. I will never understand why people act this way. Was I in the wrong? Because I honestly don't think I was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 01:30 PM

8,342 posts, read 2,969,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
Why do people do this? My girlfriend's mother is notorious for this. Her parents don't like discussing politics, especially her father. He follows the motto" "the two things you should never talk about is politics and religion." We stayed a little late after everyone left their house on Christmas Day and talked about many things. All good conversations, until I noticed her Mom kept trying to rope politics into some of our conversations. My GF and her dad stopped her, but she kept bringing it up. When she brought it up for the third time, I had a feeling we would just say "screw it," and would have the talk. She began on this endless rant on how Trump is a dictator trying to take control of the US for himself, compared him to Hitler, etc.

And that's when I realized what she was trying to do! She looked at me, and in her conclusion, she said, " I honestly don't understand how you could vote for that man. Will you be voting for him in 2020 if you can?" I tried avoiding the topic but she insisted. So I calmly told her, "Most likely, yes." Both she and her husband began to go on a loud rant on how I was a fool, close-minded, brainwashed, etc. They asked me how I could even stomach being a Republican.

I politely said, "Look, both the Dems and the Republicans are-", to which her father cut me off. "DON'T TRY TO FLIP THE SCRIPT!!! WE DIDN'T ASK YOU ABOUT THE DEMOCRATS!! PERFECT EXAMPLE OF A TRUMP SUPPORTER!! FLIPPING THE SCRIPT AND DODGING THE QUESTION!! WE AREN'T STUPID PEOPLE!!!' I calmly replied, "Had you let me finish, I was going to say that both parties are acting like children. But you know what? This impeachment is a joke. We have wasted more time going off of hearsay and no factual evidence, when all of that time, money, and resources, could've went towards more beneficial things, like healthcare, the economy, etc.

Her Mother: "WHAT DO YOU MEAN?! THE MAN HAS DONE NOTHING AS A SITTING PRESIDENT!!"

Me: "Well, for one, not once did I ever think the two of you were stupid. Please do not think that of me. But to answer you question, unemployment being at 4%; an all-time low is nothing? What about our economy that has strengthened? Look at how many people splurged on gifts this year for Christmas alone. What about the job market being the strongest it's ever been, Blacks and Latinos no longer being the highest unemployed ethnic groups in the US, international terrorism being at an all-time low, as well as ISIS being a low level threat at this point? Are those not accomplishments? Wall Street is seeing strong numbers it hasn't seen in over a decade. We are pulling half of the troops out of Afghanistan soon. Sounds like a lot is getting done to me."

Her Dad: "Is that all you care about? A good economy? Is money everything to you?! GOD, YOU ARE SO SELFISH AND HEARTLESS TO BE HAPPY ABOUT THAT WITH EVERYTHING ELSE GOING ON!!!"

Her Mom: "MORE THAN SELFISH; HE'S CLOSE-MINDED!! AND EVEN WORSE, YOU'RE GIVING US BULLET POINTS OF WHAT HE SUPPOSEDLY DID WHICH SHOWS HOW BRAINWASHED YOU ARE BY THE MEDIA!!!"

Girlfriend co-sings her parents. I say let's end the topic, they tell me I shouldn't have written a check my ass couldn't cash. Banter continues until GF says enough. I apologized even though I didn't feel I needed to, seeing as I wasn't the one who started this, but wanted to take the high road. Everyone says their goodbyes and we head home. GF cusses me out in the car and says I disrespected her parents, I ruined the remainder of Christmas Day, and wonders why she is even with me.

Everything was fine the next day and we hashed it out, but it's still a bunch of BS to me. I will never understand why people act this way. Was I in the wrong? Because I honestly don't think I was.
Something to look forward to if she continues to be your Gf. She cusses you out in the car and says you disrespected them. Based on your story, I’d get the hell out of that relationship. Things are already getting squirly. Imagine being married to her and having to deal with her parents for decades. She cusses me out after her mom forces the conversation I’d dump her azz. Your gf doesn’t respect you.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:31 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Yes, I've noticed this. If you are speaking to a liberal and IN ANY WAY indicate that you do not despise everything about him, without exception, they can go off on you. My sister experienced this with a neighbor who arrogantly assumed my sister hated Trump like she did, and when sis said that Trump isn't completely bad and has accomplished some positives, the neighbor went OFF and marched into the house in a huff. There is absolutely no room for the slightest deviation from the liberal narrative.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:32 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,548,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Something to look forward to if she continues to be your Gf. She cusses you out in the car and says you disrespected them. Based on your story, I’d get the hell out of that relationship. Things are already getting squirly. Imagine being married to her and having to deal with her parents for decades. She cussed me out after her mom forces the conversation id be gone. Your gf doesn’t respect you.

Amen. Kiss her ass goodbye.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:36 PM

27,579 posts, read 28,687,607 times
I make it a point to never discuss politics at parties and social events. I am not there to debate with anyone or try to win them over to my way of thinking.

Thankfully, the people that I associate with do the same for the most part.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:36 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,548,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Yes, I've noticed this. If you are speaking to a liberal and IN ANY WAY indicate that you do not despise everything about him, without exception, they can go off on you. My sister experienced this with a neighbor who arrogantly assumed my sister hated Trump like she did, and when sis said that Trump isn't completely bad and has accomplished some positives, the neighbor went OFF and marched into the house in a huff. There is absolutely no room for the slightest deviation from the liberal narrative.

I had someone I'd known for about 30 years tell me that I didn't hate Trump enough and therefore, in her estimation, I was a racist and a sexist.

Bye.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:37 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,567,335 times
Uh huh. These fictional stories never fail to amuse & the usual suspects never fail to fall for them.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:42 PM

1,991 posts, read 901,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
^Yet another self unaware post.^

Old 01-02-2020, 01:45 PM

8,342 posts, read 2,969,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Uh huh. These fictional stories never fail to amuse & the usual suspects never fail to fall for them.
Yes. To suggest that some liberals are lunatics is crazy. For example look at some of your comments, the fragile. If you had TDS, no one would ever know it. Cudos.

Trump 2020!

Old 01-02-2020, 01:54 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,712,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post

There is a relationship forum on CD. Perhaps you will find it helpful.
The "answers"/posts/comments might be more beneficial from that place than on the CD political forum. It is likely the majority of responses here on the P&OC will be based primarily on a political viewpoint as opposed to the successful navigation of relationships.

We are living in very highly charged partisan times. Relationships in these circumstances may sometimes be extra tricky. Best of luck to you.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 01-02-2020 at 02:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies