Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2017, 11:05 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
No Ferdinand and Isabella, no Moth.

Where's their holiday!?

You are welcome start a petition to change the holiday to honor them.

And we both know you would gnash your teeth and scream about them as well for the results would be the same.

Come on, you can do better than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 11:07 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,914,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
You are welcome start a petition to change the holiday to honor them.

And we both know you would gnash your teeth and scream about them as well for the results would be the same.

Come on, you can do better than that.
I actually don't care. It was obviously a way to highlight why you're thinking is flawed.

If a city did want to name a holiday after them, I'd think that is fine. Not sure why you think I'd gnash my teeth?

Old 10-06-2017, 11:12 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Care to put that to a real vote of the people? Yeah I didn't think so.
Sure, why not? My whole point is that Austinians (?) get to choose. Nothing at all requires them to honor a federal holiday. Only federal agencies are required to honor a federal holiday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
But no matter, that wasn't the point. The real point is that remembering history is more than just books. It's reflected in statues, naming of things, currency, etc. If one small group gets to start tearing stuff down because it "offends" them, then so does everyone else.
These things are simply not written in stone. Nor should they be. They can and do change as peoples' interests and values change. Neither is formal history immutable, or there wouldn't be so many historians. If you really want to know history, you will have to read books. You won't get it from statues or coinage. And names of things are just syllables.

There's a town in my state named Yelm. I have no idea why, and unless I read a book to find out, no history is imparted by the syllable 'yelm'.

I live in King County, Washington. It was named for the vice president in 1853, when Washington Territory was established. In 1986, the county commissioners decided to change the county's namesake to MLK. In 2006, the county commissioners voted to change the logo from an imperial crown to a profile of MLK. People have long forgotten William Rufus King, however worthy a person he may have been, but still strongly resonate with MLK. If a popular vote were held today, I have no doubt that the majority of people here would affirm the change of namesake.

And if a hundred years from now, or even 50, people want to change either the county name or its current namesake, they can do so. History isn't a straitjacket, it's meant to increase human understanding, not freeze it.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I actually don't care. It was obviously a way to highlight why you're thinking is flawed.

If a city did want to name a holiday after them, I'd think that is fine. Not sure why you think I'd gnash my teeth?
I reckon you care a great deal. Enough to offer an inane retort based on changing names and simply repeating that "Austin can do what they want" over and over.

If my thinking is so flawed, then why do you have nothing more than childish gibberish to offer?

No Columbus = HockeyMac18, No Austin, and No Moth

You are not going to get around that.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:19 AM

62,970 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
They can still call it whatever they want.

You mean like Merry Christmas has been changed to Happy Holidays for many now? When do these transformations stop? When our country doesn't represent or resemble it's own history any more?

Old 10-06-2017, 11:25 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You mean like Merry Christmas has been changed to Happy Holidays for many now? When do these transformations stop? When our country doesn't represent or resemble it's own history any more?
You mean, it doesn't resemble what you think it should resemble.

The US, from the first European religious/political refugees who settled here, is the epitome of the idea that people are not imprisoned by their history or culture, that they can make it up as they go along.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:26 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,834,440 times
Don't care, don't understand why anyone would care. Perhaps you are confused and think that a municipality renaming a holiday is rewriting history, in which case: lol

Old 10-06-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Don't care, don't understand why anyone would care. Perhaps you are confused and think that a municipality renaming a holiday is rewriting history, in which case: lol
Paradox: a statement or proposition that, despite sound (or apparently sound) reasoning from acceptable premises, leads to a conclusion that seems senseless, logically unacceptable, or self-contradictory.

Austin exists because of Columbus, but Austin wants to decry that by changing the name.

You are correct in that they are not rewriting history- they are rewriting themselves into a philosophical corner.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:35 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,834,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Paradox: a statement or proposition that, despite sound (or apparently sound) reasoning from acceptable premises, leads to a conclusion that seems senseless, logically unacceptable, or self-contradictory.

Austin exists because of Columbus, but Austin wants to decry that by changing the name.

You are correct in that they are not rewriting history- they are rewriting themselves into a philosophical corner.
So? No skin off my back. Why do you care about what other people call a holiday?

Old 10-06-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
So? No skin off my back.
Then why bother posting? If you do not care, then **** off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies