Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2017, 12:47 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times

Advertisements

Somebody let Fordtrucks out of its cage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 12:50 PM

18,018 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Can we have a "Victim Mentality Day" This will appease all the snowflakes who get upset over every little thing.
There it is.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:20 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
The "indigenous" couldn't find their way to Cuba much less cross the ocean but yeah, they deserve the day. Who cares, it will always be Columbus Day.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:36 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The "indigenous" couldn't find their way to Cuba much less cross the ocean but yeah, they deserve the day. Who cares, it will always be Columbus Day.
I'm just curious because it's kind of funny. Cuba had Native Americans so I don't get that comment. They did indeed find their way to Cuba, and all the other Caribbean islands.
You'd have to go all the way out to Burmuda almost half way to Europe to find an island not inhabited by Native Americans.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:47 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Can we assume that the people of Austin will soon rename their city, to stop honoring a slaveowner?

Maybe they could call it MichaelMooreville. Or Pelosigrad. That's something such people would be really proud of!

Old 10-06-2017, 02:10 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Can we assume that the people of Austin will soon rename their city, to stop honoring a slaveowner?

Maybe they could call it MichaelMooreville. Or Pelosigrad. That's something such people would be really proud of!
Or Jonestown? doesn't ALEX JONES live in super liberal Austin? Funny how so many extreme right wing hate mongers actually choose to live in Liberal cities....

Old 10-06-2017, 02:30 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It's all part of the political correctness which has this country in a tight grip. I have a lot of respect for Native Americans but overall with the exception of a few tribes mostly in CA, most were as ruthless as the Europeans, not just towards Europeans but each other. They weren't just peaceful hunter gatherers taking care of the environment and respecting each other. Ever hear of the Aztecs?
The Aztec Indian Nation is a part of the current nation of Mexico. And the current nation of Mexico is a part of "North America" so I guess you do have a point there....

Old 10-06-2017, 02:35 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,950 times
Fake Outrage of the Day. Columbus Day is hardly a holiday. Yall can't care about this that much. LMAO. I can't imagine prolapsing this hard over a name change for a d-list holiday.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:42 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
The Aztec Indian Nation is a part of the current nation of Mexico. And the current nation of Mexico is a part of "North America" so I guess you do have a point there....
All indigenous people of North and South America are native Americans. Someone from the Inca Empire of South America is just as much a Native American as a Cherokee. They are all the same race, all came from Asia and inhabited all parts of the Americas.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:09 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
No argument at all. And if one group has erected a statue to honor someone, then who are you to tell them to take it down?

Again it's your logic.
Shrug. Show me where I have EVER demanded that anyone anywhere take down a statue.

What I say is that if citizens of Podunkville want to erect a statue of Podunk the Third on the (public) town square, they can do that. And if admirers of Podunk the Sixth come along a century later and want to take down the statue of Podunk the Third, and a majority of the citizens of Podunkville agree, it's their land and their decision. They don't have to justify it to anyone else whatsoever.

Just as it is the decision of the citizens of Austin to stop honoring Columbus.

I have a personal opinion about Columbus, and I'm pleased to see that more people are agreeing with me. But if the people in Columbus, Ohio want to keep their statues of Columbus, that's their business, and I'm good with it. I feel no need whatever to feel what "everyone" feels, and I also feel no need whatever for "everyone" to feel as I do.

Last edited by jacqueg; 10-06-2017 at 03:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies