Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2017, 11:28 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,191,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
These are excellent points. And I so agree. Big Food seems to go hand-in-hand with Big Pharma and Big Farms.

But we still possess free will and can choose what we buy. It just gets harder and harder when most foods these days are loaded with HFCS, gluten, MSG, other additives, and salt. Navigating the grocery aisles is like avoiding landmines. Got to read all the fine print on the labels.

Mostly I just buy one-ingredient foods such as spinach, chicken, avocados, leafy greens, cheese, eggs. Keeps it simple.

This. I love cheese but it is not a one ingredient food. I think it is fine to consume as long as it isn't American or Velveeta cheese product.

I live in a very fit and slender area (there are exceptions of course). But, go to the poor neighborhoods and we have the same issue as the rest of the country. It is a class issue here and I suspect, with most of the USA. These poor people don't know any better nor do they have as many choices. The cycle of poverty produces generation after generation of unhealthy people. There is a lot more involved like what the government subsidizes and what they do not but if we throw up our arms and just blame the food industry and the government then nothing will change.

Here's a poinent but funny MadTV skit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKs0oEIVOck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2021, 12:14 AM

6 posts, read 7,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.zmescience.com/medicine/...obal-11102017/

United States has world's highest rate of child obesity at 20 percent. Globally the average is 5% for girls and 7% for boys.

I think it will just continue to increase. Entertainment in the United States is mostly based on the experience of eating.

It is amazing how eating huge of amounts of food for entertainment and driving to the mailbox is the culture in 2017.
The US doesn’t have the highest rate of childhood obesity. The UK and the Mediterranean countries all have higher rates. The Mediterranean super-region has a much higher rate.

More “Americans so ugly” anti-Americanism. The fact that people are so veraciously trying to intellectualize this is honestly disturbing.

The concept of “obesity rates” for large countries, particularly using BMI, is laughable anyways. It makes no logical sense if you know anything about weight and differences in ethnic phenotype.

I’m confused as to why right wingers are buying nonsense CDC-assisted anti-Americanism anyways. You know, the organization that, in concert with the WHO, released report after report twisting the verbiage (“America has 4% of the world’s population and 20% of the world’s COVID deaths”, or whatever) to distract from the fact that other western nations had higher death rates and case fatality rates than the US.

These people always jeuje the data and the comparative indices to make America look bad wherever they can. “America has the worst infant mortality rate in the west, right?!!!!”

Read the small print, methodology information, and the supplemental studies that Lancet releases. It delegitimizes all of it.

Old 07-14-2021, 02:52 AM

61,884 posts, read 87,385,514 times
Those are the stats:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/13/healt...ntl/index.html

Old 07-14-2021, 05:52 AM

27,242 posts, read 13,527,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnygingin View Post
The US doesn’t have the highest rate of childhood obesity. The UK and the Mediterranean countries all have higher rates. The Mediterranean super-region has a much higher rate.

More “Americans so ugly” anti-Americanism. The fact that people are so veraciously trying to intellectualize this is honestly disturbing.

The concept of “obesity rates” for large countries, particularly using BMI, is laughable anyways. It makes no logical sense if you know anything about weight and differences in ethnic phenotype.

I’m confused as to why right wingers are buying nonsense CDC-assisted anti-Americanism anyways. You know, the organization that, in concert with the WHO, released report after report twisting the verbiage (“America has 4% of the world’s population and 20% of the world’s COVID deaths”, or whatever) to distract from the fact that other western nations had higher death rates and case fatality rates than the US.

These people always jeuje the data and the comparative indices to make America look bad wherever they can. “America has the worst infant mortality rate in the west, right?!!!!”

Read the small print, methodology information, and the supplemental studies that Lancet releases. It delegitimizes all of it.
More Nonsense.

Here's the actual figures -

The places where too many are fat and too many are thin - BBC News (2018)

Why these Pacific Island nations have world's highest childhood obesity rates - CNN (2019)

The World Obesity Federation (World Obesity), formerly the International Association for the Study of Obesity and the International Obesity Task Force, is the only global organisation focused exclusively on obesity.

Global Obesity Observatory - Word Obesity Foundation

United States - World Obesity Foundation

Old 07-14-2021, 06:21 AM

16,541 posts, read 8,306,729 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
People keep acting like it's the lack of exercise that's making everyone fat. It is not the lack of exercise. That adds to it. But it's really the food. The food that people are eating and feeding their children is total crap.

There is no amount of PE and recess that can burn the amount of calories that are in a big bag of hot cheetos.

If I have to hear one more person say that their children won't eat healthy or they won't eat anything except for a chicken nuggets and french fries or that they refuse to drink water, I'm gonna puke.
Do you have kids? I have a 7 year old who is an extremely picky eater. He will puke if he eats something he doesn't like. We try. I are smoothies and add veggies to them but the kid doesn't even like Mac and cheese and getting him to eat pizza can be a struggle. He is far from overweight, he's extremely energetic and I wouldn't be surprised if he's on the lower end of the weight chart. It's hard to shove healthy food down someone's throat or make threats or even spank them. Kids go through phases with foods. I sometimes envy people whose kids will eat anything.

I remember before I had kids a woman on my company's executive team complaining that her son would only eat chicken nuggets and Mac and cheese. I remember thinking wow get it together and make your kid eat more but here I am. Restaurants created kids menus for a reason I guess. Again if you have a young kid who's favorite food is sushi or spinach salad then lucky you. I don't understand how there's so many fat kids either.

Old 07-14-2021, 06:31 AM

89,157 posts, read 44,953,235 times
Food Stamps. About 1/3 of US children are on them, and Food Stamp recipients are the demographic group with the highest obesity rate both adult and children. Combine Food Stamps with free school meals (breakfast, lunch, and sometimes snacks and dinner, too, if kids are in after school programs) and the result is the kids are eating twice as much as they should.

Old 07-14-2021, 06:46 AM

I wonder if there is some anxiety amongst these lower income kids and they turn to food as a stress release. Or just bad/slow metabolism.

I just dont come across many obese kids...we know of 1 who comes from a wealthy family but he has an obese father so it seems to be more of a genetic thing. The kid plays sports and is always moving around. He does seem to eat a lot though...we had a birthday party, he ate 3 slices of pizza at least and the mother had to tell him not to have more cake.

Old 07-14-2021, 06:51 AM

43,234 posts, read 18,372,336 times
So we have food insecurity and obesity going on at the same time ???

I think we've gotten used to it by now. Everywhere you look are fat people.

Old 07-14-2021, 07:14 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
So we have food insecurity and obesity going on at the same time ???

I think we've gotten used to it by now. Everywhere you look are fat people.
Again I guess I want to know where the fat people are...i put on about 15-20 lbs in this pandemic which put me at 145 and i feel like i'm the fat person. I live in the Boston area...there arent many fatties here at all.

Old 07-14-2021, 07:25 AM

24,027 posts, read 15,129,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Do you have kids? I have a 7 year old who is an extremely picky eater. He will puke if he eats something he doesn't like. We try. I are smoothies and add veggies to them but the kid doesn't even like Mac and cheese and getting him to eat pizza can be a struggle. He is far from overweight, he's extremely energetic and I wouldn't be surprised if he's on the lower end of the weight chart. It's hard to shove healthy food down someone's throat or make threats or even spank them. Kids go through phases with foods. I sometimes envy people whose kids will eat anything.

I remember before I had kids a woman on my company's executive team complaining that her son would only eat chicken nuggets and Mac and cheese. I remember thinking wow get it together and make your kid eat more but here I am. Restaurants created kids menus for a reason I guess. Again if you have a young kid who's favorite food is sushi or spinach salad then lucky you. I don't understand how there's so many fat kids either.
Not to worry. One of my kids would eat only scrambled eggs and strawberries for 5 years. Then he ate veggie pizza and blueberry yogurt. He is a healthy adult who eats most anything as he travels all over the world. Sometimes in various parts of Africa for a month a year and all over Asia for months. He eats all kinds of foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies