Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 03:14 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You just aren't organized and prepared.
I was like you, too. I'm learning from my mother, the queen of healthy scratch whole food cooking.

Having staples always on hand, buying in bulk, etc...its really amazing. She eats well, all whole food, and no way in F she regularly spends $20 to feed herself, my father, and our family of 4 for just one meal.
I got 2 people eating, if I buy in bulk s**t goes bad before I can use it. Costs about the same to cook a meal for four as it does to cook a meal for 2, and yea where I live it absolutely does run around 15-25 bucks depending on how fancy I get with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 03:16 PM

88,989 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
That is what happens when the CHEAPEST foods are also the LEAST healthy. That is the root cause, IMO.
BS. A pound of baby carrots at the grocery is 99 cents. A 15 ounce bag of chips is almost $4.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:18 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,495,699 times
Ahh a cause to actually worry about instead of gun control...

Want kids to be healthy? Cut the chord to the video games. Buy them bicycles and let them build jumps.
Tease them if they're pudgy to trim it up.

No more double chin burgers from mcdonalds.
No candy chips and soda.
Fruits and veggies and occasional crackers. Cut sodium and carb intake and wham. Pounds will be flying out the window.

Of course I'd catch hell for fat shaming.
Nothing about obesity is cute.
Diabetes is a death sentence. A slow one.
Nothing cute or attractive about self induced or parent enabled weeble wobbles...
There's that whole... neuropathy nerve pain ocular degeneration failing vision heart issues and the whole 9 yards... none of that is cute.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:23 PM

18,464 posts, read 15,242,796 times
Nationally, this is a big problem. However, in the wealthy suburbs of Northern NJ, we have the opposite problem. Lots of anorexia and bulimia. My daughters both started worrying about what they were eating starting in elementary school, and they didn’t get that from us. It’s peer pressure. My older daughter is a freshman in high school, and from what I have seen, there is only one morbidly obese girl in her class, but I see plenty that I would deem too thin. Malnourished even.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
BS. A pound of baby carrots at the grocery is 99 cents. A 15 ounce bag of chips is almost $4.
Not quite ready to swap to the "all baby carrots" diet yet. I suppose it is true that you could find dirt cheap healthy options. Problem is I also like tasty food as well. Throws a bit of a wrench into the works...

Old 10-11-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Ahh a cause to actually worry about instead of gun control...

Want kids to be healthy? Cut the chord to the video games.
Let em keep it, hook em up to an omnidirectional tread mill and vr headset and toss em into a game like Onward. You would have the healthiest video game nerds around.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Republicans were the ones that wanted more fat and junk in school lunches. Notice where the obesity rates fall.
Yes, we know. Kids on Food Stamps, and kids on free school meals. Both are very disproportionately obese.

Do Republicans constantly campaign for those programs? No. Democrats do.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:36 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,077 times
Any hope for the future? Is the cost of real food maybe coming down? (produce, meat, etc). Is being obese going to become completely acceptable to the point where it might be weird if you are not obese?

Old 10-11-2017, 03:37 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,217,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.zmescience.com/medicine/...obal-11102017/

United States has world's highest rate of child obesity at 20 percent. Globally the average is 5% for girls and 7% for boys.

I think it will just continue to increase. Entertainment in the United States is mostly based on the experience of eating.

It is amazing how eating huge of amounts of food for entertainment and driving to the mailbox is the culture in 2017.
Nah, just a continuous diet of junk food.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Not quite ready to swap to the "all baby carrots" diet yet.
Fine. But why not a 99 cents 1lb bag of baby carrots for snacks instead of a $4 15 ounce bag of chips?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies