Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 11:34 PM

983 posts, read 739,500 times

Advertisements

Knowingly exposing others to HIV will no longer be a felony in California - LA Times

Quote:
Modern medicine allows those with HIV to live longer lives and nearly eliminates the possibility of transmission, according to state Sen. Scott Wiener (D-San Francisco) and Assemblyman Todd Gloria (D-San Diego), authors of the bill.
“Today California took a major step toward treating HIV as a public health issue, instead of treating people living with HIV as criminals,” Wiener said in a statement. “HIV should be treated like all other serious infectious diseases, and that’s what SB 239 does.”
Supporters of the change said the current law requires an intent to transmit HIV to justify a felony, but others noted cases have been prosecuted where there was no physical contact, so there was an argument intent was lacking.
Brown declined to comment on his action.
HIV has been the only communicable disease for which exposure is a felony under California law. The current law, Wiener argued, may convince people not to be tested for HIV, because without a test they cannot be charged with a felony if they expose a partner to the infection.
This is the most egregious 'feels before reals' change to the legal code I've seen in years. Christ.

Any piece of **** that knows they are HIV positive and doesn't tell partners should be executed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 11:40 PM

100 posts, read 81,434 times
Sums up the left. They can't even decide if infecting someone with a dangerous disease is wrong or not.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:43 PM

29,527 posts, read 22,704,392 times
Just when you thought those loony tunes out on the left coast couldn't get any lower.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:51 PM

30,659 posts, read 18,276,650 times
The loony, bat-**** crazy left strikes again. So what if you can live longer with HIV today vs. years ago due to advances in medicine? Unlike "other" STIs, you still cannot be cured of HIV, which means that a diagnosis of HIV will complicate your life in ways that other STIs will not. Think marriage (many won't talk to you if they find out you have), job opportunities (trying to join the military and certain other jobs with HIV is a no-go), and other factors come up. What a disgrace this ideology is.

And if they really wanted to go the "equality" route, they should've made it a felony to KNOWINGLY expose anyone to ANY STI, regardless of whether most STIs are curable.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 10-08-2017 at 12:57 AM..

Old 10-07-2017, 11:55 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,851,365 times
I know of some Californians who play hockey with a warped puck.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:16 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,603,765 times
What is the law in other states?

Old 10-08-2017, 12:52 AM

30,904 posts, read 36,995,531 times
Just one more way to encourage the populace to be weak and dependent on expensive pharmaceuticals. Classic example of Problem. Reaction. Solution. The government will get more power with more people becoming dependent on MediCal and the pharmaceutical cartel will make more money.

Old 10-08-2017, 02:04 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,151,306 times
Effing yikes.

So SO glad I'm married.

And this is one reason why before that, I insisted with boyfriends that we both get tested for EVERY common STD before engaging in any sexual contact. Condoms break. And then what?

Old 10-08-2017, 02:08 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,554,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Any piece of **** that knows they are HIV positive and doesn't tell partners should be executed.
how is it different than any other chronic disease?

Old 10-08-2017, 05:06 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,533,893 times
Excuse me but what ever happened to being responsible for your own well being? We all know how hiv is transmitted. We are all responsible for taking steps to minimize getting the infection. Yes, in a perfect world everyone would disclose their status before getting intimate with someone else but the reality is, plenty of people infected don't even know that they are. So it's up to ME to make sure I don't become infected. I can control MY behavior, not the behavior of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies