Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 09:57 AM

78,495 posts, read 60,679,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
how is it different than any other chronic disease?
Likely due to the transmitability since I can't exactly give you diabetes from sex ....especially dangerous if you don't have access to the medicines or cannot afford it which takes us to the most heavily infected segments also including drug users etc.

Just because it's no longer "certainly fatal" doesn't remove all risk considering 6,700+ people died from HIV in 2014.

To that point, I think adding Hep-C as a felony transmission also potentially makes sense.

https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/statistics/o...ataglance.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 10:00 AM

78,495 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'm glad the law was changed. Calling it a felony is too harsh.

The vehemently hateful reactions from some here make me grateful that I live in a state that doesn't treat everyone like a hardened criminal.
So, if someone runs up behind you and injects you with a substance that causes a cancer that is mostly treatable but does still kill 10-15%....you don't think that should be a felony?

If you KNOW you have HIV and you have sex with people without telling them what exactly do you call that sort of behavior?

Based on your comment, I'm hoping that you were thinking that the charges could apply if you didn't know you had HIV which isn't the case.

P.S. I have a very good friend that is gay and lives in California, I haven't asked them but I seriously doubt they like the idea that a new bf could lie about having HIV and give it to them without facing serious legal charges.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:44 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,476,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Excuse me but what ever happened to being responsible for your own well being? We all know how hiv is transmitted. We are all responsible for taking steps to minimize getting the infection. Yes, in a perfect world everyone would disclose their status before getting intimate with someone else but the reality is, plenty of people infected don't even know that they are. So it's up to ME to make sure I don't become infected. I can control MY behavior, not the behavior of others.
One of my best friends had drunk sex on his 22nd birthday with a guy he was seeing, the guy then told him he "might have had AIDS." Thankfully he tested negative, however bottom line is he not have his life ruined because he did a stupid, stupid thing while drunk and young. He learnt from his mistake, thankfully.

Knowingly infecting someone though, is downright MALICIOUS.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I googled the topic and was stunned at the number of stories of gays deliberately infecting others. It really makes you wonder what the hell is wrong with the LGBT crowd. The only excuse is a twist of mind, or a form of mental illness.
It's really disgusting and makes my blood curl. I'm glad I'm not promiscuous. As a gay man myself, I don't trust most gay strangers. There's some awful people out there and being gay doesn't make them "angels."

Old 10-11-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Thats not what this is about.

Its about the stigma behind the disease. even the CDC says that this causes less people to get tested.
That's BS. It's not about stigma its about malicious intent. This would only increase the amount of intentional infections because now there's a soft punishment for said offenders.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'm glad the law was changed. Calling it a felony is too harsh.

The vehemently hateful reactions from some here make me grateful that I live in a state that doesn't treat everyone like a hardened criminal.
You've gotta be kidding me. You tell me this kind of person isn't a criminal: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ndr-court-told

I dunno what Minnesota's law is on this, but regardless I'm glad I don't live in California. Treating this situation as a felony PROTECTS the gay community, from monsters like Darryl Rowe.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think everyone who has an STD (and knows) of any kind and doesn't tell their partner should be prosecuted for assault.

Then again...you could also take personal responsibility and demand your partners be tested prior to initiating a sexual relationship. Worked for tons of people I know.
In one situation I just linked to, the assailant (that's what they are) deliberately sabotaged a condom. There's also scenarios with intoxication and of course rape.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
All those conservative white males shooting people up for no good reason. Makes you wonder what is wrong with conservative white males. Must be mental illness.
Didn't a Bernie supporter shoot at republicans earlier this year? (I'm a Bernie supporter too, btw)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies