Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2017, 09:38 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Before Obamacare, people who needed health insurance couldn't get it, often for very minor issues.

Could you afford to pay thousands of dollars a month for medical care? What do you suggest for people who can't?
Um... That's exactly what O-ripoff-care costs. No subsidy family of 4: $2,000/month premiums PLUS a $12,500 deductible. That's over $3,000/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 09:39 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
This back and forth BS between the Democrats and the GOP, each trying to blame the other for this debacle is getting old. Now I actually find the whole health care thing a bit confusing. But it seems like the ones that need to be getting the blame , is the insurance and health care industries. Why have their costs continually gone up ? Until '08, I never had to worry about healthcare insurance or the cost of it. My employers would always offer it, with me paying a small portion out of my paycheck. It was that way from the time I was 16 until 23 years later. Now my wife and I have to pay $800 a month because our employers don't offer it. What changed ? Where the healthcare providers not making enough profit ? Not making enough to stay in business? More people using the system without paying into it ? What happened ?

Old 10-13-2017, 09:39 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Before Obamacare, people who needed health insurance couldn't get it, often for very minor issues.

Could you afford to pay thousands of dollars a month for medical care? What do you suggest for people who can't?
Get an insurance policy. We have always had medicaid, medicare and other government health insurance for those who could not afford it.
All that needed to be addressed was pre-existing conditions. Legislation could have been put in place to require carriers to do away with pre-existing condition clauses.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:42 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
This is an increasingly odd discussion.
Because you're "emoting" and not thinking rationally.

Comment on my post that indicates implementing a 25% VAT tax would generate enough tax revenue to fund national health care.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:44 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
This back and forth BS between the Democrats and the GOP, each trying to blame the other for this debacle is getting old. Now I actually find the whole health care thing a bit confusing. But it seems like the ones that need to be getting the blame , is the insurance and health care industries. Why have their costs continually gone up ? Until '08, I never had to worry about healthcare insurance or the cost of it. My employers would always offer it, with me paying a small portion out of my paycheck. It was that way from the time I was 16 until 23 years later. Now my wife and I have to pay $800 a month because our employers don't offer it. What changed ? Where the healthcare providers not making enough profit ? Not making enough to stay in business? More people using the system without paying into it ? What happened ?
I don't find it confusing. I find it annoying as its just slinging poo at each other, the thread title is the Healthcare plan will hurt red states Bigly and I read the links literature, nothing is provided in depth of How or why...

Just a bunch of loud noises.

So I'll ask again. How is the EO going to hurt red states Bigly?
A legitimate and unanswered question.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:45 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Because you're "emoting" and not thinking rationally.
Who's "emoting"? Maybe the guy who would rather exact political retribution on those with differing political viewpoints irrespective of the effect it would have on Americans nationwide? Yup.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:45 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Tons of hearings. Lots of GOP amendments.
Yes, many of which were made a part of it. Dems didn't get the bill they wanted.

Quote:
Anyway, water under the bridge. Here we are now. Rate increases slowed down for several years there and then picked back up recently. Just read an executive stating that his company had increased their rates already in anticipation of the subsidy disappearing.
Trump made no bones about it. He wants the premiums to raise as much as possible in order to make it fail. That was the reason for his EO. Its not about improving the welfare of the nation, its about his pride. He is infuriated by the fact that he would not repeal ACA as he had promised.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:47 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Get an insurance policy. We have always had medicaid, medicare and other government health insurance for those who could not afford it.
All that needed to be addressed was pre-existing conditions. Legislation could have been put in place to require carriers to do away with pre-existing condition clauses.
No, one cannot 'just get Medicaid or Medicare'.

Just "do away with the pre-existing condition clauses"? So simple and yet the GOP can't do it?

With all due respect, you really have no understanding of how health insurance works if you think insurance companies would "just do away with pre-existing conditions." Trump doesn't either. Who knew how complicated it could be????

Old 10-13-2017, 09:47 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
The Morons as you stated are those who recognize ACA as the cure all solution. Obama and the dems lied about ACA and shoved it down our throats with even reading the bill. This passed behind closed doors with any debate of research to see if ACA is even a option.
that is just made up bs.

ACA was one of the most widely debated and read bills in the last 40 years. ACA included many aspects of the republican bill and the Rs got to make plenty of changes to the bill. Not the 700 or even the 200 claimed by some crazies on the left, but lots of changes were made at the request of GOP members...

that is right ghost, the GOP got to make plenty of suggestions and changes to ACA before it was signed by anyone.

Now you so no need for you to EVER pretend otherwise.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:58 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post

Health care costs kept going up and insurance companies skim about a third off their top to cover their expenses and profit.

Smaller businesses were priced out of the market long before 2008. Employers like Walmart have never offered it to more than a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies