Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 12:13 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,820,981 times

Advertisements

Republicans love this phrase. They want to "return our nation to the supposed Judeo-Christian values it was founded on." In thinking about this, I really despise their usage of "Judeo-Christian." First and foremost, adding Judeo is simply a ploy to make them seem not quite as exclusive. Secondly what they really mean is "white Southern fundamentalist evangelical" values. If you want to make it more specific, it's BAPTIST values. No other faith or ideology need apply. Modern Judaism, mainline Protestantism, black evangelicalism, and most Catholics do not support the hate-filled agenda of these evangelicals.

The Baptists believe it's their entitlement to rule over our society and culture with an iron fist. They love to brand liberals as "snowflakes" yet they cannot handle being wished a Happy Holidays or red Starbucks cups or *gasp* a sitcom character coming out as gay.

I'm getting downright sick of it. I wish they would be as dedicated to preserving the First Amendment as they are the Second Amendment. And here's a hint, the First Amendment does not give Baptists the right to use the state to enforce their dogma on everyone, regardless of what they will tell you.

End rant.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:15 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,917,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Republicans love this phrase. They want to "return our nation to the supposed Judeo-Christian values it was founded on." In thinking about this, I really despise their usage of "Judeo-Christian." First and foremost, adding Judeo is simply a ploy to make them seem not quite as exclusive. Secondly what they really mean is "white Southern fundamentalist evangelical" values. If you want to make it more specific, it's BAPTIST values. No other faith or ideology need apply. Modern Judaism, mainline Protestantism, black evangelicalism, and most Catholics do not support the hate-filled agenda of these evangelicals.

The Baptists believe it's their entitlement to rule over our society and culture with an iron fist. They love to brand liberals as "snowflakes" yet they cannot handle being wished a Happy Holidays or red Starbucks cups or *gasp* a sitcom character coming out as gay.

I'm getting downright sick of it. I wish they would be as dedicated to preserving the First Amendment as they are the Second Amendment. And here's a hint, the First Amendment does not give Baptists the right to use the state to enforce their dogma on everyone, regardless of what they will tell you.

End rant.
I wish religious discussions were taken completely out of politics. One of the worse decisions (for the country) that the Republican party ever made was in embracing the hard religious right.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:18 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,820,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I wish religious discussions were taken completely out of politics. One of the worse decisions (for the country) that the Republican party ever made was in embracing the hard religious right.
I agree. This really shouldn't even be a discussion. The question of religious rule was settled by the founders in the Constitution. They knew all too well what happens when you mix religion with politics.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:26 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,043,473 times
Trump is going to make us all say Merry Christmas, I guess.

His minions eat this stuff up. It's hilarious.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:35 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,291,687 times
Quote:

End rant.
Maybe you should limit your rants to actual issues.

Btw, Judaism is the root of Christianity.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Trump is going to make us all say Merry Christmas, I guess.

His minions eat this stuff up. It's hilarious.
And I'll happily keep saying what I want, Trump be damned. Which might be "Merry Christmas". Or it might be "Happy Holidays".

I can't wait to the 2017 version of "Starbucks' war on Christmas" with some stupid idiot posting an Instagram picture of a red cup in December and demanding anger!

Old 10-13-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Maybe you should limit your rants to actual issues.

Btw, Judaism is the root of Christianity.
It is an issue. Abortion is settled law. Gay marriage is settled.

It is 2017.

It is time to Move. On. And to Get. Used. To. It.

P.S. this isn't directed at you, but at those making these issues.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:44 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,340,261 times
The evangelical/fundamentalist influence is what caused me to abandon the Republican party for good a few years ago. I will never vote for a GOP politician ever again. Their authoritarian mindset and the ridiculous premise that 'religious freedom' includes the right to discriminate against other people was the final straw for me.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:45 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,702,465 times
Quote:

End rant.
Hmm. Exactly where did we stray from these values?

Old 10-13-2017, 12:49 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,230,680 times
Quote:

End rant.
I agree 100% and couldn't have said it better. And, we now have a three-times married President speaking directly to this demographic at the "Values Summit." The irony.

Donald Trump to become first president to speak at anti-LGBT hate group's annual summit | The Independent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies