Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 04:48 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Bigger ZIP Codes in land area cover rural areas. ZIP Codes are set up so that each one has about an even amount of mailing addresses. So ZIP Codes in cities cover the least land area, rural the most. My city ZIP Code covers 11.42 sq miles, but is kinda screwy. All the population lives in the far northern part of the ZIP Code, most of the eastern 2/3rds is covered by Sky Harbor International Airport, and the southern part is industrial land
85034 or 85040?

Old 10-18-2017, 04:54 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
https://www.economist.com/blogs/grap...daily-chart-13

I talked to a female friend in Minneapolis who had lived in San Francisco when I did. She told me about that city's housing shortage and verified what The Economist came up with.
There is no way Mpls is on the same level as SF. Certain parts may be comparable, but I could move to Mpls tomorrow and find a 3 bedroom home for under 300K inside the city limits
In SF that would be almost impossible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 05:33 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
The population of the U.S. in 1955 was 166 million - half of what it is today. Could that not help to explain why cities are more crowded?

Old 10-18-2017, 08:42 PM

1,188 posts, read 959,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
The population of the U.S. in 1955 was 166 million - half of what it is today. Could that not help to explain why cities are more crowded?
Yes, but the rate of population growth has accelerated and housing prices have gone up much faster than incomes. Where I live the median home prices is more than 10x the median household income (probably 15× the median individual income). And I don't just mean in the city proper; the suburbs are even more expensive.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:51 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
If my partner didn't insist we live in a bigger city, I would be a rural dweller. He is from Manhattan.

After living in big cities and rural, I prefer rural.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 10-18-2017 at 09:02 PM..

Old 10-18-2017, 09:50 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Everyone reminesces about how in the 1950s an average income could easily afford a decent house in a decent neighborhood. It seems obvious why that was the case. America has SO MUCH SPACE and we made use of it. Heck, we have like 1/4th the population of India and 2x the land. We took all that flat land in "flyoever country" and built factories and communities from scratch. There was plenty to go around. Now we hollowed out flyover country and everyone is moving to a few desirable/trendy cities and that have no room for building new neighborhoods. The result? All everyone ever talks about where I live is housing prices and traffic. I think corporations probably like it because workers will put in 100-hr weeks in a desperate quest to make more money so they can upgrade from a Studio to a 1-Bdrm. No wonder the stock market has been reaching record highs? It's so weird that we hear about a "housing crisis" and all you have to do is drive 50 miles away from the city and you'll see nothing but flat, empty land.
I think it depends on where you are. Here in Louisiana it seems new subdivisions with single family homes and gated communities in the suburbs are still where most people prefer to live - along with our beautiful quiet rural areas where outdoors opportunities abound. It was the same when I lived in West Virginia.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:54 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
I loved living in the outskirts of Charleston WV, where you can drive 10 minutes to the holler and shoot guns, and have large bonfires on your own property because there was so much open space on each property. 4 wheeling and mudding in the creeks and back roads. I truly miss that lifestyle. I live in suburban Baton Rouge now and this now feels like a huge city to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies