Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 04:23 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,548,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Frederica Wilson 2015 video shows John Kelly got it wrong - Sun Sentinel

9 minute video attached. She does claim credit for helping to get legislation through quickly to name the building after the fallen FBI agents. She also spends significant time praising law enforcement, including asking members to stand for applause, as well as offering remarks in remembrance and praise of the two FBI agents. You listen to the whole thing and you won't come away with a perception that she is showboating.

Kelly said everyone was stunned about how she spent most of the speech bragging about "getting the funding" for the building. None of that is heard in here.

Look, I'm not a Rep. Wilson supporter, I don't know what happened with Trump's call to the widow, and I think her comment about "empty barrel" being "racist" is ridiculous. But this is what it looks like to be CAUGHT IN A LIE.

Maybe other videos will come out showing another story, in which case I will apologize and recant. But that's on Trump and his ilk to substantiate.

And, lest we forget, we wouldn't be having any of this schoolyard nonsense if Trump had shut his damn mouth instead of showboating about how he calls all the Gold Star families and lying about what Obama and past Presidents did. But shutting his mouth and not making it all about him is anathema to a guy like Trump.
Seems like when you are around Trump, integrity goes away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 04:23 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,816,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
According to CNN about a third of the speech was about her; I don't care enough to fact check them lol.

We agree this should never have been a national conversation. Quite frankly, I cant fathom egging a grieving widow on to be offended or more offended than she may have been on her own, much less go to the media over it.

The Congresswoman could have smoothed it over telling her the President meant well blah blah and/or used her position to reach out to the WH or Army to do something to smooth it over.

She comes across as a bit of a whack a doo. I have a feeling Kelly has had issues or run ins with her before, maybe in previous positions.

It will be interesting to see if he explains how he got his facts mixed up. He was so specific, it makes me think she did actually brag about getting the funding as well just somewhere/time other than in her speech.

You should watch it. Part of the speech is about how she got the building naming through the process, and she credited politicians from both sides of the aisle. She is definitely an oddball (lots of congressmen are quirky characters lol) but she didn't really come across as a braggart or anything to me. Maybe to a by-the-numbers guy like Kelly it was too much but honestly if I had been there I wouldn't have batted an eye.

I think Kelly is just all fired up about defending Trump. He seemed to take this REALLY personally... maybe because he advised Trump on that to say? I dunno.

I just want to hand everyone involved a great big can of SHUT UP right now. LOL

Old 10-20-2017, 04:30 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,643,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
So, to recap:
  • A reporter asks Trump, "Why haven't we heard anything from you so far about the soldiers that were killed in Niger? What do you have to say about...."
  • Instead of saying something like,"We'll be providing that info at a briefing this week", he tangents to -- me good , Obama bad--in falsely jumbling how condolences have been presidentially delivered.
  • AND he told reporters they could ask Kelly whether Obama called him when his son was killed. This when he KNEW and had said Kelly didn't want to discuss his son's death. Thanks Trump. A real pal. Right under the bus.
  • Then he ignored Kelly's advice NOT to make those sensitive calls. What could go wrong?
  • Congresswoman Wilson was a MEMBER of the grieving FAMILY party going to meet Sgt. Johnson's body. Not only was the timing of the call terrible, but Trump, a renowned bungler, did just that with the condolence call (logically on speakerphone for all the grieving party to hear). Nobody's fault but his. A little thought could have provided some comfort. Trump creates a tempest and a brouhaha wherever he goes.
  • Every grieving person perceives things through their own filter. Most grieving people would feel it to be to be highly disrespectful to have something like that said about their loved one who was repeatedly generically called "your guy" with his name not mentioned.
  • Bad luck for Trump, Wilson has a voice and used it in behalf of Johnson's family who corroborated what happened. Trump deserved no protection from the consequences of his offensive behavior. Not like this was his first "oops" deserving of an "oh, well". He blunders his way through life. This was letting no cat out of the bag. The country and world knows this is Trump.
  • Had Kelly only shared his own story, he would have continued to have the support and utmost respect of most all of us. If he wanted to kvetch to his family or his buddies, fine. But he very much damaged his credibility. For most who previously perceived him as a level-headed, long-suffering guy trying to guide, contain and help the dysfunctional Trump, he clearly appeared to way overstep. He did himself no favors whatsoever. Changed his public persona from a wise mentor to someone merging with the Cult.
  • Kelly gave the impression Trump is a hapless nebbish who is "trying", rather than the malignant affliction that he is who continues to be inflicted on those he comes into contact with. Sgt. Johnson's family is one of the most recent in a long line of victims of his narcissism and sociopathy. In it's most benign form, it's evidenced as total cluelessness.

Two final thoughts:

Not every military member is the same. The words from a close friend that comforted Kelly, spoke to the strong ethos of a dedicated career soldier. Some of these young military people are there because it is the best career opportunity for them and the best means of support for their families. Most have some pride in what they do and in their military identity. But, they may not have total buy in to the actual thought of dying for your country and the whole "Hoorah" spirit (or its variations). The words that might bring comfort to a family with a strong military tradition/identity in the death of their loved one, might have a contrary effect on a the family of a serviceperson who was happy to be bringing home the bacon and looking for the day when they can transition back to civilian life with a leg up.

And the nonsense about business etiquette/protocol being used on such a personal call is just silly. It wasn't planned as a "conference call" but as a condolence call (badly executed as it was). Trump didn't apparently introduce those listening in with him. It would have been intrusive and distracting. To expect the grieving widow to do so is beyond sensibility. Her call in what she chose to do. Wilson was present but she had no duty to burst in and announce herself nor anyone else in the party. The widow's choice. If she wanted to say, " Excuse me while I dry my tears and catch my breath. Now, before we start, let me introduce the people here. Mom, Uncle John, Frederica Wilson, my three bro-in-laws, my sister-in-law and my cousin-in-law. Please forgive me, I'm not remembering everybody's name right now. I haven't slept, haven't been able to eat, the baby is kicking and I just can't think straight....." [Yes, I used a little license and exaggeration here for purposes of example. You get the jist.]

I have been nearby many, many times when someone has a PERSONAL but not PRIVATE call on speakerphone. Very seldom do they announce my or anyone's presence up front. They might say along the way, "Oh, yeah, Molly's here and thinks that's funny too." Or, "Jack's here nodding in agreement." Or "There are several of us hanging out. You know, Molly, Jack and Susan." And all my friends are mid level professionals with YEARS of experience. So not buyin' it.

Great Post. it covers exactly what happened without adding or omitting important details.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:30 PM

8,499 posts, read 6,908,457 times
Well. According to the White House Kelly's status as a retired four star Marine general makes his utterances beyond reproach. I initially had a lot of respect for him especially as a Gold Star father. Appears Trump's character has begun to rub off on him.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:34 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,639,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
You should watch it. Part of the speech is about how she got the building naming through the process, and she credited politicians from both sides of the aisle. She is definitely an oddball (lots of congressmen are quirky characters lol) but she didn't really come across as a braggart or anything to me. Maybe to a by-the-numbers guy like Kelly it was too much but honestly if I had been there I wouldn't have batted an eye.
Your bold

She did, though, spend up to three minutes talking about an effort she did lead — to have the building named after the special agents,She recounted how she was asked by the FBI four weeks earlier to expedite a bill through Congress to name the building after Grogan and Dove. She said the process normally takes eight months to a year.

"I went into attack mode," she told the audience. She said she approached then-Speaker John Boehner, telling him "the FBI needs your help and our country needs your help." She said Boehner got the bill to the House floor for a vote in two days. She said she then rushed the bill to Florida Sens. Bill Nelson and Marco Rubio, who got the bill passed by that chamber two days later. President Barack Obama signed the bill three days before the dedication ceremony. The audience responded with loud applause.

"It's a miracle but it speaks to the respect that our Congress has for the Federal Bureau of Investigation," she said.

If Gen Kelly thought she was bragging, that is just his opinion. Opinion doesn't make one a liar, does it?

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 10-20-2017 at 04:50 PM..

Old 10-20-2017, 04:44 PM

33,582 posts, read 18,188,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Frederica Wilson 2015 video shows John Kelly got it wrong - Sun Sentinel

9 minute video attached. She does claim credit for helping to get legislation through quickly to name the building after the fallen FBI agents. She also spends significant time praising law enforcement, including asking members to stand for applause, as well as offering remarks in remembrance and praise of the two FBI agents. You listen to the whole thing and you won't come away with a perception that she is showboating.

Kelly said everyone was stunned about how she spent most of the speech bragging about "getting the funding" for the building. None of that is heard in here.

Look, I'm not a Rep. Wilson supporter, I don't know what happened with Trump's call to the widow, and I think her comment about "empty barrel" being "racist" is ridiculous. But this is what it looks like to be CAUGHT IN A LIE.

Maybe other videos will come out showing another story, in which case I will apologize and recant. But that's on Trump and his ilk to substantiate.

And, lest we forget, we wouldn't be having any of this schoolyard nonsense if Trump had shut his damn mouth instead of showboating about how he calls all the Gold Star families and lying about what Obama and past Presidents did. But shutting his mouth and not making it all about him is anathema to a guy like Trump.
Oh, brother.. all about the bill.. and what she did... Kelly was definitely right... all about herself and the bill...pat herself on the back again and again.. stunning!! What a lousy speaker and a lousy speech.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:45 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,639,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Oh, brother.. all about the bill.. and what she did... Kelly was definitely right... all about herself and the bill...pat herself on the back again and again.. stunning!!
yep

The only thing Kelly said is that she liked to make it all about her. That seems to be her Behavioral pattern. And Gen Kelly is called a liar for that. OH wait, don't forget Gen Kelly is also a racist!

Old 10-20-2017, 04:46 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,234,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Your bold

She did, though, spend up to three minutes talking about an effort she did lead — to have the building named after the special agents,She recounted how she was asked by the FBI four weeks earlier to expedite a bill through Congress to name the building after Grogan and Dove. She said the process normally takes eight months to a year.

"I went into attack mode," she told the audience. She said she approached then-Speaker John Boehner, telling him "the FBI needs your help and our country needs your help." She said Boehner got the bill to the House floor for a vote in two days. She said she then rushed the bill to Florida Sens. Bill Nelson and Marco Rubio, who got the bill passed by that chamber two days later. President Barack Obama signed the bill three days before the dedication ceremony. The audience responded with loud applause.

"It's a miracle but it speaks to the respect that our Congress has for the Federal Bureau of Investigation," she said.

If Gen Kelly thought she was bragging, that is just his opinion. Opinion doesn't make one a liar, does it?
That's what I thought. It was just his opinion, probably being around politicians has made him a little cynical as it would anyone who lost a son due to politics. He wasn't lying, but the media are easily triggered and are running with it, though.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:47 PM

17,443 posts, read 9,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I feel sorry for the rest of the people of Miami. If she keeps it up, people will stop spending their money in the city. It is a tourist destination and they count on those dollars. People don't want to visit areas of the country where there are such idiots running things.
On a personal level - I DO want to know the areas that elect the Loons.
As far as "feel sorry for the people who elected her" -- they continue to vote her in, just like the district in Houston that continues to elect Sheila Jackson Lee. I don't feel sorry for them - they have exactly what/who they want. I also never want to set a toe into one of the areas that Loons represent.

I'm all about Transparency - the more the better, which is why I love to read Twitter. It's great exposure.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:50 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,075,862 times
When all else fails cry "racist". That term has been so overused that it means nothing anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies